Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Is the Subaru Impreza WRX worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2001, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is the Subaru Impreza WRX worth it?

Well I am seriously considering getting a new car in the following months, and am still undecided between a LanEvo which arrival in the USA is uncertain and the WRX. For some reason, I ve always looked at the WRX as fugly car until I got to see it at my local Subaru dealer: the design of the car and its dimensions look very nice, much more better than what I have seen on pictures although the look is not very "unique" (IMO it does look like a neon). Concerning the interior, it isn't as bad as so many people on this forum said, it looks a like a regular car, not incredible but not ugly as well.

I was wondering your pros and cons for this car. I actually drive some old Mazda Protege (I feel the need of power) and a Nissan Maxima 1993. A lot of you seems disappointed by the HP offered by the car, my Nissan produces roughly 220HP and it is more than enough for a normal usage of the car. I am also very interested in the 4WD capacity of the WRX. Driving during the winter in Colorado is probably one of the most annoying thing when the asphalt is covered by 2 or 3 inches of snow

In the other hand... we have the LanEvo which release in the USA is still uncertain. Will it be detuned, for what price? When?... etc etc. From what I read, it will probably detuned down to a 240HP engine and without the electronic of the actual LanEvo, it will still be a damn nice car since the other conccurent is the WRX -alone-. I have also read in the WRX brochure that Subaru is trying to maintain the same base price of the japanese WRX in the USA which is around $25k. The LanEvo in Japan is in the same range of price, can we possibly see Mitsu applying teh same tactic as Subaru concerning the price? ... just wondering about that...

Well lets see your pros and cons on that WRX, they might help me in my decision

-Dean
Old Oct 13, 2001, 09:07 AM

The Impreza is a great car - I had two turbo Imprezas for five years before getting an Evo6. The new shape WRX takes a lot of getting used to looks wise, but Im told it is a better drive than previous Imprezas.

In the UK, there are many tuning companies starting to make the Impreza WRX more 'eye friendly'. Perhaps the best known UK scooby tuner is Scoobysport. Take a look at thier WRX on http://www.scoobysport.co.uk/index.asp?page=wrx. I think this looks pretty good, though it has needed a lot of work (and money) to achieve this.

Personally, I dont care for the looks of the Evo7, so in the future I may return to Subaru.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 12:43 PM

I just got a wrx and love it. http://wrx.swankmonkey.com there's also some track videos.

If you don't like it, trade it in on an evo when they come out. That's what I'll probably do when Mitsu comes out with a turbo car again (USA market). Or will the next car be the STi? 4motion turbo 24v gti? We'll see, there's better and better cars coming out all the time. Heck, you can now get an awd jaguar for under 30k now (not that I'm recommending!!)

I also have a lot of converts trading in other imports and going with the wrx. For the price point, not much else is out there yet. Interior? Who's looking at the interior? I look ahead and look at my gauges

I'm sure there will be a "evo vs sti" thread soon.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 01:45 PM

This was her first day home and life hasn't been the same since.

It's all preference for you bro you can just keep savin' for the EVO or you can go out and get a WRX...you should go test drive a few different AWD vehicles see if the WRX has the feel and control you want...cars are like guns man. Everybody feels them differently.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

it all depands on what u like...
Old Oct 13, 2001, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by LanEvo
it all depands on what u like...
Yup.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 04:20 PM

i like both, but i like evo more
Old Oct 13, 2001, 04:22 PM

Another question concerning the options fo the car.... subaru offers some 17" BBS alloy wheel... but the only cost of that option is $4000 which is sorta expensive. Those wheel look badass and make the car more aggressive, but is $4000 a bit too much form a simple wheel upgrade/option?

And also... are there other kits available to replace the ridiculous one offered here?
Old Oct 13, 2001, 04:40 PM

Location: Smackin' US market "Lancers".. Fearing the arrival of the EVO..
Thumbs up

There's plenty of other wheels out there for the WRX.. Most of which look better than the BBS's and cost much less.. Come to I-club.com We'll steer you straight!
Old Oct 13, 2001, 04:53 PM

I've heard of that I-Club.com it's a pretty cool site.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Funny I heard the same thing!
Old Oct 13, 2001, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up

I think that Billy here might be an I-Club member too.. (AScooby25rs sound familiar??) I Club rocks.. We love Lancers too.. We just love our Scoobies more!
Old Oct 14, 2001, 06:25 PM

No doubt that is one thing I like is that the EVO is ok amongst us Subie owners
Old Oct 15, 2001, 12:09 AM

Bring on the evo!

Every Jedi needs a Darth
Old Oct 15, 2001, 11:23 AM

Talking

Very true.. I can't wait.. I don't particularly like any other Mitsubishi products (bad, bad experiences) but I have to admit.. The EVO is badness..

Quick Reply: Is the Subaru Impreza WRX worth it?