Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

anyone know how to install fog lights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2002, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know how to install fog lights

I am trying to install fog lights on my 2002 OZ Lancer,but they won't fit because of the plastic grill in the front.
Is there any way to get that off or where should I mount the fog lights
Old Aug 16, 2002, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

take the bumper off...its not hard...and then you can unscrew the plastic grill. jus replace it with metal mesh and cut holes in it for the fogs
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:47 AM

first drill holes on the bumper provision for the foglamps. get the whole middle part out, then put the foglamps on the position. attach using screws. and if someone has a better idea, post them here and don't just jeer on the comments of others.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

I still think your best luck is going to be to remove the bumper like zlancer says... it will be alot easier to position your fogs... but, I don't think that's the only problem... I'm wondering how the wiring part is going to accomplished... that's the only thing that's preventing me from doing my fogs...
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:49 PM

doesn't the foglamp set come with a wire set with a switch? make it crawl in the firewall through a blank rubber grommet. if you're going to drill holes, always find out what's on the other side of the wall first. you might ruin something...
Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Only reason I brought it up is due to the distinct lack of said grommets, and one person's hesitance about drilling through the firewall. Only thing I'm gonna say about it is there HAS to be something like that because there is a punch out portion on the dash next to the mirror controls... I have yet to really start digging around in there, but...

In any case, my question is this: in a universal kit, what kind of wiring do you need to do? I mean, I'm considering doing this, and I want to know how much time to set aside for it. The actual installation shouldn't be too hard, but, the wiring looks to be a *****.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:54 AM

Ok, first of all there is a rubber gromet in the firewall. It happens to on the passenger side of the firewall. So to set up the switch you are going to have to run a wire back across to your drivers side but that is easy enough. Second of all if you know anything about electrical wiring, installing fog lamps should be a sinch.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:58 AM

First I would get a set that uses a relay. You can wire it directly off of the headlights and not draw much power from them cause the relay turns on the lights, its a little much to desribe how it works and have someone understand if the don't know what a relay is, but if you know then you will understand what i mean.
If you want to use a switch, I would still use a relay so you run less of a risk of burning out a wire cause most peeps will use a high powered lamp. but you can run the switch through the firewall usually where the steering column goe through at, almost alway a gromet there and thats not likell going to interfere withanything. As long as you don't try to staple it to the column.
Anyone agree?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

So sorry... I reread an original post someone had written on the matter, and the problem wasn't the lack of a gromet... probably the guy just didn't want to look for one. My apologies.

So, in order for a switch to be installed, it's pretty much time to take your dash apart? I wonder if I could find someone to do the install... I really don't have the time or energy to do all that.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:13 AM

no, you shouldn't have to take apart that much, I mean I have NOT taken anything apart on my dash short of empting that little "personal compartment" or all the change that goes into it. you should be able to slit the wires right through and then put the swith on the left of the wheel where the dimer is. I know I have an open spot for a switch.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Not like I have the cash or anything, but, I'll have to get under the hood and poke around.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

ah ha..thats what I thought...btw what package came with fog lights...was it the ls..or es...on of these three models had to have foggies right...unless mitsu plans on selling some ami"s

already have neons under the dash and the seats but they plug into the fuse box and dont need a switch..they turn on with the car ^_^

Last edited by OZ_Rally; Aug 21, 2002 at 05:28 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Nope. None of em.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 06:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just get a fog lamp which can be attached by 3m adhesive, and will work just fine. better yet, add a rear fog lamp for those inclement weather use. you can use existing rear lamps like you would in an audi or jaguar. you will need two five prong relay switches for that. more on it later.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:25 PM

i don't think using 3m adhesive for installing foglamps is such a good idea..

Quick Reply: anyone know how to install fog lights