Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9

Yes mods, this is for us US lancers...

Okay guys, i don't know if you noticed, but the WRC04 (mitsubishi's rally car) is the same body style as the 2002-2003 Lancer. The WRC04 will soon be known to japanese consumers as the EVO 9. Now here comes my idea. If the EVO9 is the same body style as the US lancer. Does that mean possible engine swap? Ladies and Gents..... that COULD be our awnser for more power..... COULD....

i don't know, its late was just thinkin
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No

I believe the EVO 6 was the last truly homologated car for use in WRC. WRC has dropped their homologation rules, so substantially similar cars no longer need to be produced for the road in order to race them in WRC. Basically, a WRC car is a purpose built race car that does not have to share a single thing with any roadgoing automobile. Mitsubishi and Subaru continue to produce their rally "inspired" EVO and STi because they have a following already, and other categories of racing (Group N, etc.) do use production based vehicles. But producing a roadgoing vehicle no longer has anything to do with being able to use them for WRC.

To sum it up, forget about putting a single thing from a WRC car into yours...
Old Jun 7, 2004, 09:23 PM
Account Disabled

why can't it be done?..... I know a guy who but the evo 7 engine (i believe) in his US Lancer..... so would that make you wrong in saying that. Plus i could put the WRC04 taillights on my car.. they would be the same as i got now... but they would be from the WRC04....
Old Jun 7, 2004, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I think that the availability of the motor swap from the current wrc lancer into a current lancer is near impossible .. however, who knows that mitsu may have in store for the future! that was one killa motor ..
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancer03oz
why can't it be done?..... I know a guy who but the evo 7 engine (i believe) in his US Lancer..... so would that make you wrong in saying that. Plus i could put the WRC04 taillights on my car.. they would be the same as i got now... but they would be from the WRC04....
Did I read that right, you know a guy that swapped an Evo 7 engine into his US lancer? I would like to see pictures of that. And I agree with machron, nothing from the WRC Evo will fit into a Lancer. So the WRC car looks like a US lancer, so does the Evo 7.

The only pictures I have seen of swaps are from Evo I - III into early 90's mirages. And I saw ONE, mid-late 90's mirage with an Evo IV (which is a similiar configuration with later Evo's) and that was in Hawaii. I think you can dig up old photos on www.hawaiispeed.com But mind you He actually bought a totaled Evo and had it shipped to him. (alot easier to do because it does not have the customs/EPA to go through on a wrecked car that physically never able to see the streets again). The car looks like the real deal and it is AWD, BUT it took him an eternity and A LOT of work, I was blown away after reading that article on how much work he had done, for example he cut out good sized portions of the body and fabbed up new ones and welded them in.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

i don't know, its late was just thinkin [/QUOTE]

BTW, stop that.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Well, moving this to USLG.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:59 PM

i think the grill and the headlights would fit, maybe the funky spoiler haha
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:57 AM

Yeah, I don't think that just because one car looks like another, that it has anything to do with it's engine mounts, wiring harness, transmission, differentials, etc. Would be nice though.

(I kinda think it would be overkill to pit the WRC04 wing on almost any Lancer, Evo or not, that wasn't seeing rally time.)

But that's just my .02
Old Jun 8, 2004, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

Let the monster garage swap the evo engine to a normal lancer....... I bet they can do it.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with money you can make anything happen, it probably is cheaper just buying a new evo then doing a swap.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is such a tired and beaten to death subject. It could easily be answered with the search button.

Evo I-III engines are very swappable when it comes to 95+ Eclipses, up to '98 Galants and Mirages from 96 and back. It is too difficult to try to get them in 1G Eclipses and they don't offer anything to make the swap worth while so those guys just build they're USDM 6 bolts.

Anything from an Evo IV and up is 180 degrees from the previous motor, so could go into a current Lancer, 99+ Galants, 3G Eclipses.

In the unlikelyhood you would get aholt of a WRC engine from a current Mitsubishi rally car it would probably go into your vehicle with enough bankroll behind it. I'm guessing the motor could be had for around $50,000. Good luck.