Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

magnaflow catback(pics and vid)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the exhaust, and while its not loud per say, its not quiet either. i love the exhaust note, so it works. the ONLY thing i don't like about this setup... it DRONES at around 70-75 mph (speed limit here in FL). if only we had six gears, this wouldn't be a problem.

overall, i HIGHLY recommend the full magnaflow catback. i got mine off ebay for around 240 shipped i think, which is a freaking great price.

as far as fitment goes, mine wasn't right at first, and looked like it does in the guys video. he probably made the same mistake i did and installed the mid-pipe upside down. there is a VERY slight dip and bend to one side, but its enough to make the tip look way off. all i had to do was flip it over, and it centered PERFECTLY. if you don't flip it over, you can try to center it by moving the hangers, but drive for 15 minutes, and it'll go right back.

MAGNAFLOW =
Old Jun 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

for clarification, the dip in the mid pipe should be facing UP (giving more ground clearance).

performance wise, it definitely opened up the mid to top end, but seems to have stolen it from the CAI massive low end i used to have.

btw, the AEM CAI and this together sound SICK. i'll make a video of it when i get a chance.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

can you PM me with the number to the shop on ebay?

WADAD
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

HOLY CRAP! the guy i bought from on ebay for 240 jacked his price up to 380! talk about supply and demand! check out www.ptuning.com or search yahoo products or something. i wouldn't pay over 300 shipped for sure.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 07:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really didn't even notice the misaligned tip until you guys pointed it out. it really doesn't bother me that much either. i'll check the pipe and see if i have it flipped and maybe i'll straighten it out

if you are looking for a magnaflow catback for cheap, i really suggest performance peddler. here is the ebay site, but don't go by that price they have listed(380 bucks). contact him and ask about the group buy discount. i got mine for 305 shipped and it arrived pretty quick(less than a week i think).
Old Jun 9, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I got mine from the same guy, 300 shipped. I like the sound, it's probably the quietest catback out there. Some kid at my school (who disses on everybody's stuff) said "you can't even hear it, it probably gave him no horsepower" As if the noise level and power gain are related
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang, now I wish I would have waited a little longer. I couldn't find the catback for that cheap anywhere online so I went to a local shop (authorized reseller of Magnaflow) and had them put in the catback. I got 2.5" piping since they pressure bend their pipe, which reduces the diameter to about 2.25". I had a universal magnaflow muffler put on (not polished) and a double walled, polished stainless 3.5" tip. The whole thing cost me $292 with a $80 discount! Man, you all lucked out because your kits are mandrel bent and a polished muffler. I love the sound of mine though. I will record it and put it on here and see what you all think too. Nice job on the install!
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by purecoda
btw, the AEM CAI and this together sound SICK. i'll make a video of it when i get a chance.
I have the same setup and I love how it sounds when I'm pulling in 4th on the onramp! I'll try to get a video as well.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 06:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
I have the same setup and I love how it sounds when I'm pulling in 4th on the onramp! I'll try to get a video as well.
i kinda know what you guys mean(i have the injen sri, not the same, but close). i've had to make some tricky merges onto a highway(resulting in me flooring it so i don't get hit) and the intake and catback together sounds awesome

i didn't know the intake would affect the sound that much, but i'm glad it did.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

i was surprised too when i installed mine, didnt expect that much sound from it but it did
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:23 AM

sorry to tell you guys that bought this....it sucks...i have a custom made test pipe...and a racing tekniq muffler...and my car could blow out ur sound in a matter of milla-seconds dude, whoever bought this got cheaped out hardcore....sorry to tell you guys but good job on the vids, i can only commend u on that...sorry fellas
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:45 AM

i dont even have an intake
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by spek2442
sorry to tell you guys that bought this....it sucks...i have a custom made test pipe...and a racing tekniq muffler...and my car could blow out ur sound in a matter of milla-seconds dude, whoever bought this got cheaped out hardcore....sorry to tell you guys but good job on the vids, i can only commend u on that...sorry fellas

wow, your car could blow out my sound? obviously that means its better

seriously dude, we aren't going for noise here, in fact we want something quiet, and the magnaflow delivers.

tell ya what, post up a sound file of yours and we'll give you our opinions on how obnoxiously loud and farty it sounds
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:05 PM

oh, im sorry u guys are like 90 yr old lancer drivers with intakes and ecu's???
i didnt notice that u guys wanted the peace and mind of being old....my bad guys, i might actually post my sound, so u can tell me how loud n opbnoxious it is and it wont b bashin me at all, u'll juss make me happier than i already am...sorry guy!!!!!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

so your saying that all you have is a muffler and a test pipe and its loud. lets see the sound clip.