Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

what mil eliminator?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what mil eliminator?

which mil eliminatot should i get to turn off the service engine soon lite.does the one from bigjoshracing work.i got one from ebay but the wiring diagream was for a ford and was going to try and install it but i lost it.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

bigjoshracing's MIL elim works like a charm AND has Mitsu wiring diagrams.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
bigjoshracing's MIL elim works like a charm AND has Mitsu wiring diagrams.
I have that mil eliminator but the wiring diagram that i got showed totally different colors of the wires then what is really on my car. Is ther any way you could post a pic of how you've got it wired up because i just didnt put it on and i know i need to get my car emisions tested pretty soon and that wouldnt go over to well if that showed up.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crnesst
I have that mil eliminator but the wiring diagram that i got showed totally different colors of the wires then what is really on my car. Is ther any way you could post a pic of how you've got it wired up because i just didnt put it on and i know i need to get my car emisions tested pretty soon and that wouldnt go over to well if that showed up.

yeap, agreed, it's hard to find a good mil elim these days, it was such a hot thing late last year. I did a flash on my ecu/ecm and it lasted about 2 hours? and I got my emission within those 2 hrs
......that'll give me another two years......but I am planning on selling mine, so I don't want to scare the people away when there's nothing wrong with the car...anyway, I need some good info on mil elim too....
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

I might be able to crawl under there tomorrow... but it's been wet as hell up here and my wiring is all covered in electrical tape.... I remember needing to read the directions and applying what they said to what I was looking at (upside down and cold ). but if you're getting a CEL your ECU is in "limp mode" and your MPG, power, everything is going to suffer for it.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
if you're getting a CEL your ECU is in "limp mode" and your MPG, power, everything is going to suffer for it.
thats not always true...especailly not with a cel that is caused by the second o2 sensor...it will go in limp mode if the maf isnt reading anything or the air Sux...CEL will also come on if your running too rich...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm .. i've actually got a mil eliminator which came with my header, which ive never installed .. I've been getting quite annoyed at the CEL and want to install it.

It came with instructions but I have misplaced them :P I'll see if I can dig em out.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

so nothing will happen wrong if you just leave the cel alone, because i havent had a chance to get a mil eliminator yet
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

you're right, you will get a CEL if you're running too rich. but that's not what's happening here. the ECU can't figure out why O2-1 and O2-2 are getting the same reading. It does go limp. No nothing "bad" will happen, but you'll never be able to use a fuel management computer like eManage or S-afc because the ECU won't accept any inputs. Any attempts at "tuning" (inernals, etc.) are wasted efforts because yo'll never be able to dial in that ideal AFR. Your O2 sensor readings go haywire and the ECU starts dumping fuel into the engine, trying to keep the engine from running lean (that's what the ECU thinks is happening here). I've seen the numbers on my auterra, and I've seen that nothing would happen when I'd input values through eManage.... the ECU simply won't respond.
Gas mileage goes to crap, exhaust is super stinky, no power.... it's not a good scene...

There are LOTS of reasons why a CEL comes on, and if the O2 sensor isn't the problem, then a MIL elim won't get rid fo the CEL. But if you have headers and you have a CEL then more than likely this is what's going on.

Last edited by engineerboy; Aug 24, 2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

i ran with my header and CEL on for about three months...no problems...gas mileage was as expected....the second o2 sensor doesnt have anything to do with fuel...and the ecu wont go haywire with it on because of the second 02 sensor...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

ok. you go ahead and not use the MIL elim. I'm not going to get into a classic EvoM pissing contest over this..... It sounds like you won't believe a guy who's been successfully using the eManage for over a year, and only had problems with it when I had a CEL from my O2 sensors reading the same voltage.

For the record, your O2 sensor readings go haywire, not the ECU, per se. The ECU gets readings from almost 0v to almost 1v in a weird, not quite sin or cos wave..... a properly functioning set of O2 sensors has a nice perdictable plateau, just below 1v, at WOT and has a nice curve down to just above 0 when the trottle goes below about 80%....

Last edited by engineerboy; Aug 24, 2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

its not a pissing contest...its about giving people the right info. most of the people on here will never use an emanage...and RRM is using the standalone on the shop car and CEL is on...people on here want to know if their car will run fine if they put a header on and cell is on and the answer is yes the car will run great...

i believe you when it comes to using emanage...but thats not what he wants to know... unless he is running emanage...which was never posted...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

here is a thread discussing all of it..and that not ALL cars will except the mil eliminator and numerous people have ran a header with CEL on and no problems

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...mil+eliminator
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

so, you understand that "Standalone" means "repalces ECU" right? Just as this guy said he wasn't running eManage to tune fuel, he's also not likely running a full standalone. CEL with standalone is meaningless because the standalone doesn't recognise ECU inputs. The extent of the ECU's involvement is to turn that CEL on, and that's about it.

But I'll repeat myself again- can you drive with the CEL on indefinitely? Yes. Would you be better off power, MPG and emissions-wise if the CEL were "fixed"? Also yes.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

From your thread:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn
I've said it like 4 times .. you NEED to put your O2 sensor back into the header. You NEED to get an O2 bung installed by an exhaust shop on the header so you can screw that thing back in and reconnect it to the car. Without that no MIL Eliminator will get you ANYWHERE no matter what. Once you do that your gas mileage will go back up.
and the rest of it is just "my headers sound weird" , "the MIL elim that I tried to make didn't work" and the pros/cons of the SDS SC and the RRM TC..... he does go on to clarify that the MIL elim needs to be on the 2nd O2 sensor....

Quick Reply: what mil eliminator?