Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo VII is on its way to the US says Motor Trend...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2001, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VII is on its way to the US says Motor Trend...

Enjoy...

http://www.motortrend.com/nov01/evo/evo_f.html

Old Nov 29, 2001, 05:44 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Pretty good. If it comes at well below $30K and still has the same performance it's going to rock Subaru's world. Now I'm starting to think about a deposit just in case

Mark
Old Nov 29, 2001, 06:26 PM

Did anyone else notice they didn't mention an intercooler? I don't see one in the picture either. They said 276 hp since its Motor trend thats probably at the flywheel thats probably only about 230 or so at the wheels right? But it is cheaper than I thought. I guess this is the first step but hopefully they'll step it up before it comes here.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 06:48 PM

BLAH!

Motor Trend reads like a Nintendo Power magazine. Full of hype, advertising, and empty promises to keep you buying their worthless drivel.

Id like to highlight the last two paragraphs, then completely tear them apart.

The only thing more extraordinary than the sedan's performance is its price. In Japan, these extreme cars start near $23,000. Mitsubishi has a couple details to address before import into the United States is ensured, namely intercooler/bumper packaging and California emissions. We're told that the target price would be well under $30,000. The intention is to bring the car over as is, with changes limited to government requirements.

Competition is good for the breed. Subaru is expected to counter the Evo VII with its more potent WRX STi. Other powerful transplants are in the works, as Infiniti will soon market the Nissan Skyline sedan as the G35, and Nissan is considering bringing the full-bore Skyline GT-R coupe over to position above the 350Z. Good times are definitely ahead for import performance enthusiasts.
The price quote of $23,000 for an Evo is REALLY wrong. Perhaps for a used EVO-IV, or maybe an EVO-VI RS. A full blown EVO-VII in japan is more close to $38,000 then $23,000. Dont get my wrong, i wouldent complain with an RS either. But it lends itself to the credibility (or lack there of) of Motor Trend.
Intercool Bumper and Cali emissions. Wow, great investigative work Motor Trend...tell us somthing we didnt know 3 years ago when the EVO-V came out.
Subaru has swore up and down that the WRX STi probibly wouldent make it over. And how exactly are they going to bring the STi model over, and not kill their sales? Think about it, you can take a bare WRX, and upgrade it with genuine STi and other aftermaket parts, and have a car that will outperform the STi version, for less money. Subaru would shoot themselves in teh foot if they pulled somthing like that. And remember, the people buying these cars are not the average idiot either. So its unlikly that they will be able to pull a fast one on the buyers. Not to mention that emissions will be a problem for the STi. I would expect that it wont be more then 260 bhp IF its ever released.
The G35 Sedan in NOT a Skyline GT-R. For some reason, some knot head editor hears the word "Skyline" and imidiatly images of raw HP and performance are brought into their mind. Thats about as stupid as hearing "Lancer" and imidiatly thinking EVO. They are two completely different cars. THe Skyline has LONG been a family sport sedan. And in fact the Skyline GS R34 is bairly faster then a Nissan Altima. And if there is an emissions problem with the WRX and EVO, there is no way in hell the Skyline will be able to sneak past emissions either. Even the Supra RZ was castrated thanks to emissions when it came to the US. A GT-R Skyline is a pipedream.

Anyway, i grow sick of Motor Trends articles. They are nothing more then a car salesmans idea of a magazine. I.e. a sales flyer full of BS to get you excited enough to buy. I dont beleive a single thing to come from their pages. As often many time, what they say, never happens.
Untill i have an EVO sitting in my driveway, i wont beleive a single word of it.

Thank you, you change is 97¢
Old Nov 29, 2001, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

No offence, Buck-O but it seems like you are the one smoking crack.

The Evo7 RS does indeed sell for $23k or so in Japan using current currency conversion. Period.
Dont know where you got your $38k from.

The STI is coming over in 2003 as a 2004 model.
That is taken from internal Subaru product timelines.
Also a new forester and a forester turbo as well.

It says "Infiniti will soon market the Nissan Skyline sedan as the G35". Nothing about the GT-R here. In Japan, the skyline sedan is not the GT-R.
So, again...
Old Nov 29, 2001, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

ok, i take it back.
Using today's rates, an Evo7 RS RHD in Japan costs USD21.5k

An Impreza STi sedan costs approx. $24k.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 07:33 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Motor Trend says: $20,630-24,560. Yeah right

That price may be correct if you do a direct conversion from yen to dollars, but everyone knows you can't go by that for cars. There are too many other factors to consider.

Anybody know how much the regular Lancer goes for in Japan?
Old Nov 29, 2001, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Keep in mind that the $21-24k is a retail price for consumers.
The wholesale price, which Mitsubishi of America pays for the car, would be much lower.
Anytime anything is bought in bulk, there is usually a big discount.

I think the Lancer Cedia in Japan runs anywhere from $10k to $15.5k.
Prices are in USD.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by RA29
No offence, Buck-O but it seems like you are the one smoking crack.

The Evo7 RS does indeed sell for $23k or so in Japan using current currency conversion. Period.
Dont know where you got your $38k from.

The STI is coming over in 2003 as a 2004 model.
That is taken from internal Subaru product timelines.
Also a new forester and a forester turbo as well.

It says "Infiniti will soon market the Nissan Skyline sedan as the G35". Nothing about the GT-R here. In Japan, the skyline sedan is not the GT-R.
So, again...
Oh come on...dont give me this $-¥ conversion BS.
DOnt forget the auto taxes in Japan, and dealer markup. Before to long you have a $38k car, easily. And when i said 38k i mean full blown Evo, meaning EVO-VII GSR. Not an RS.

If i followed Intels internal Roadmap we would have 5.5g processors out by now too. If an STi version comes out i seriously doubt it will be anything like the JDM STi, just like the US WRX was nothing like the JDM WRX. Smaller wheels, smaller brakes, fewer trim options, less power, less overall goodies, and it still cost $32k. So do you serious beleive your going to get considerably more car in the STi for just $24k? And you say im smoking crack...

Why dont you quote the whole sentance, "and Nissan is considering bringing the full-bore Skyline GT-R coupe over to position above the 350Z"
And if you read what i said about the Skyline, i know its a sedan in Japan. Like i said. Some editor at Motor Trend probibly heard the word "Skyline" and imidiatly thought "GT-R" not 2 door family sport sedan. Go back and re-read what i wrote, please.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 10:03 PM

While I'm not going to insist that the STi/EVO is coming to the US, since I seem to lack the inside source feeding me corporatee information that everyone else has, I would like to make a point.
And how exactly are they going to bring the STi model over, and not kill their sales? Think about it, you can take a bare WRX, and upgrade it with genuine STi and other aftermaket parts, and have a car that will outperform the STi version, for less money. Subaru would shoot themselves in teh foot if they pulled somthing like that.
I don't think this is an issue; first off, IF the STi comes, we don't know how much it will cost, so I don't see how you can saqy a WRX can be built faster for less money (I realize you can postulate based on JDM prices, but as you also pointed out, JDM prices may have little to do with USDM prices). Secondly, even if that's true, situations like this exist all over the auto market. Look at the Mustang, for example. A Mustang GT can be had for about $23,000, maybe less. A Mustang Cobra costs $28,000-29,000. You can build a GT that's faster than a Cobra for way less than the 5-6K difference in price, but that doesn't stop the cobra from selling. The STi will be exactly the same; a limited production, top of the line model, and it will sell if it comes here. There's a lot more to the STi than a base WRX that makes 280HP; it has a more firm suspension, bigger brakes, bigger wheels (that USDM WRX at least), closed-deck engine block, adjustable center diff, 6speed tranny, etc...

To put all that in a WRX through the aftermarket would be immensely expensive, hell a 6-speed tranny alone is probably $5-6K, and the rest of the stuff would be thousands and thousands on top of that.

On the other hand, none of that means that Motor Trend knows what they're talking about either.

Last edited by ForceFed4; Nov 29, 2001 at 10:05 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 10:54 PM

ForcedFed4, all very good points.

But im a little leary of what exactly will come on the STi.
Im wondering if Mitsu brings over the RS WITHOUT the active center diff, would wubaru bother offering an adjustable center diff? Im also wondering if for the US market they make a selectable center diff similar to Mitsu (tarmac, gravel, snow), as im sure the average american wouldent have clue one about how to use an adjustable diff. So they may simplify it.

The 6 speed will make it. But things like teh closed deck, larger brakes, and stiffer suspension may not make it. Again, comparing the JDM WRX to the USDM WRX.

I guess time will be the greatest factor.

But for both cars im not particularly holding my breath right now.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Ahem, Buck-O, you couldn't be more wrong. I for one have actually lived in Japan, go there about three times a year and go to the Mitsu dealer almost everytime and the price that RA29 quoted is 100% right. Period. What are you going on about? Autobox, hehehe you crack me up. If you'd know ANYTHING about the Evo you'd know that there is no autobox for it!! Maybe in the future, but not now. I'll get the right prices and convert them for you later, then you might understand.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:18 AM

If your talking about the RS, i can beleive that. The GSR ont eh other hand is considerably more expensive.
But please still get a price list. I have no problem being proven wrong.

Autobox? Whos talking about an autobox? Or do you mean the auto tax?
The only reason i say it is because a friend of mine in the military went to purchace as R33, and they wanted to charge him an extra tax for it being a gas guzzler. Basicly an Excise tax.

Anyway...please find info, that would be nice.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Okitenik, who lives in Japan can give the exact price dealers are advertising at the moment, but if I remember right for a GSR it's 2.800.000 Yen = 22.620.8 US dollars. Cars are deadcheap in Japan and there is no "gas-guzzler" tax on top of the price. Sorry, I misred auto taxes for autobox.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 04:20 AM

Hmmm, then i guess things have changed in the last couple of years.

Really makes you wonder where these importer companies get the excess fees for importing...weird.