Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Spoiler Install brake wiring question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler Install brake wiring question

Hey guys, just bought a factory look-alike OZ style spoiler from "teh intarweb" but when It came I noticed that it only had two pillars. My guess is that the third pillar is a seperate part but seeing as It didn't come with the kit and I rather like the way it looks with only the two I pose these questions:

Would it be safe to only use the two side pillars and just bondo over the central holes? If so, how would the brake light get wired in? Would it be a matter of running it down the side into one of the side pillars or is it necessary to have the central pillar to run the wire through?

I attempted a search on this but ended up making a jackass of myself by posting to a 5-6 month old story about some poor soul getting screwed by some guy :P

any help is much appreciated! (btw who should I look for to get it installed? I was thinking that maaco (sp?) would be the best place since they do paint and body work but I want some experienced opinions before I take a course of action.

Last edited by tidal; Dec 20, 2004 at 05:44 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Be careful wit the whole maaco because some places do real bad work,while some will turn out some decent work. Sometimes u have to slip the painter some extra money so that he will do a better job. Whatever u decide, be careful with those types of places.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by camaro379ss
Be careful wit the whole maaco because some places do real bad work,while some will turn out some decent work. Sometimes u have to slip the painter some extra money so that he will do a better job. Whatever u decide, be careful with those types of places.

I'm scared now...would it be a better idea to check out this body shop around the corner from my house? My family has done business with them before when we got our cars busted up...I'm just not sure if they would take such a small job
Old Nov 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Ehhh, you never know if they would do it until you ask!

Also, if memory serves, someone on here had taken out there center post and run the wires down the side post (don't quote me on that though).

Good luck with it, and post pics!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

If u know of any well known body shops in the area, that would be ur best bet.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

hmm just a dude around the corner... I think i've got a battle plan now... if he can do it im golden if not there's 6-7 different body shops around and i'm sure one of them can do the work for me... i'll be sure to post pics when I get it done

one more question though, for the stock OZ spoilers, how far from the back of the edge of the trunk are they? is it set up so that the edge od the spoiler pilars is fluch or is it set up so that the wing part is flush with the curve of the trunk below it? or is it something else? i'd need to know that methinks
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tidal
one more question though, for the stock OZ spoilers, how far from the back of the edge of the trunk are they? is it set up so that the edge od the spoiler pilars is fluch or is it set up so that the wing part is flush with the curve of the trunk below it? or is it something else? i'd need to know that methinks

Not quite sure what you are asking here, but I'll take a stab at it. On the sides of the spoiler, it is not flush, although it is rather close. On the back of the trunk, there is space between where the backend of the spoiler meets the trunk, and the back of the trunk. However, I'm not sure how much space there is. I'll try to remember to check it tomorrow after I get off of work.

Here is a bump for anyone who may know the answer though.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

hey man thats exactlt what I was wondering.. good stab I'd appreciate you checking to see approx how much space it is.. I think the mitsu people would think I was strange going over to the dealer with a tape measure and asking for an 02-03 OZ :P
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

anybody have the link to the person that took out the center post?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tidal
hey man thats exactlt what I was wondering.. good stab I'd appreciate you checking to see approx how much space it is.. I think the mitsu people would think I was strange going over to the dealer with a tape measure and asking for an 02-03 OZ :P
Yeah, probably, but they would have a great laugh at your expense!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Mike - Here is one. The one that I remember seeing was a yellow one though.

Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

thanks, im looking for thread about somebody that did it, i want to know what issues were involved.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Tidal - There is 1/8 of an inch on the sides (between the side of spoiler and edge of trunk). There is 1/2 of an inch from the back of the spoiler to the rear of the trunk.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

ok so does anyone kno if u can take out the center post... and still have the light work? I IMAGINE U WOULD HAVE TO WIRE IT through the rest of the spoiler.... if so is it possible to thread the wire through the body of the spoiler and run it through the side... ? now that i think of it the wire runs through the center right? just makin sure... so anywyas if anyones done this let me kn ow ill be pickin up an oz spoiler soon and i need to know how to do this cuz i dont wanna have a hole in the center and i hate the center post it is just so ****in ugly...
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

well man, I was looking at my spoiler and reading the instructions and snooping around the web and it can be done..... The only catch would be that the brake light wiring would have to go through the spoiler like you suggested. DIY.net (I think thats the site) had a How To for I believe a camaro which had a 2 post spoiler. They said to use a hole drill and drill out a larger hole in the center of one of the side posts, feed the wire through the spoiler and then down into the trunk. This means you'd need another hole in your car but it would work.. I suspect you would have to take care to ensure the hole is sealed well after the wire is run through. Make sure you get the center holes bondo'd up or something as well...At least that's my plan. Keep in touch with me, I'm going to be getting mine done after new years...it's an Xmas present after all

cheers!

-tidal

Quick Reply: Spoiler Install brake wiring question