Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

A/C Recharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Recharge

Does anyone know how to do a a/c recharge on a 03 Lancer OZ? Mine isnt blowing as cold, so i was going to get one of those Casterol a/c recharge kits to recharge it, but I dont know what to do. So im hopeing you guys might know. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

It's easy. Get the can that comes with the gauge and has the stop leak and oil built in. Odds are you have a very small leak some where in the system. The important thing is to make sure you connect the hose to the correct fitting under the hood. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. It is usually the fitting with the blue cap on it. In short start the car put the AC on high, shake the can up, connect it to the fitting under the hood. Check the pressure gauge on the can (most likey it will be low). Then pull the trigger till you at about the top of the green zone in the gauge and that is it.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do what he said. Mine was a little bit low. I got a recharge kit with the stop leak and oil, recharged it and now it works fine. Make sure you take off the blue cap on the low side. The low side is near the passenger side fender. It has a "L" on the blue cap.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Along the same lines...My A/C sometimes gives off a bad smell, and it would have nothing to do with the surroundings. Any such thing to clear that up?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:55 AM

where is a good place to get the recharge kit. im looking at schucks website and found the recharge kit, but it doesnt have any with stop leak only one with oil charge. would that still be alright? or do i really need to find one with stop leark?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
if you have some one you know or in the family that working on HVAC/plumbing/gas piping, they have the right refrigerant for it and odds are they probably even have the gauges to do it as well. (my dad does this) it takes them about 5 minutes to adjust the right pressure and weights of the refrigerant.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

I would think the all in one would be best because if you do have a leak you would want to use the one with the stopleak or you'll be back in the same boat again. I would go to either Autozone, Advanced Autoparts, or Pep Boys. You might even find it at a Walmart.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by glgz
I would think the all in one would be best because if you do have a leak you would want to use the one with the stopleak or you'll be back in the same boat again. I would go to either Autozone, Advanced Autoparts, or Pep Boys. You might even find it at a Walmart.
Any good part store should have it.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Cover all your basis...get the all-in-one and make sure it's done right the first time.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:02 PM

Ok lets see if i get all the steps right. Start the car, put A/C on high, shake the can. Connect it to the Cap with a H on it, Open the cap with a L on it. check the gauge then press down til the arrow reaches the green area, disconnect the hose and close both the H and L caps and it should be done.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No, you connect to the low side.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Only connect to the side with the L on it. If you connect the can to H side it could blow up from the pressure going through it. I think it might even be a different fitting so you can not connect to the high side by accident.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

And if you overdo it, you have to drain the cooland with a screwdriver from the low pressure side. Not fun that stuff gets everywhere!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:17 AM

Ok thank you guys im going to the store right now to get the stuff.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:27 AM

one last question before getting started. do i leave the High cap closed during the process or do i open it while i charge it?

Quick Reply: A/C Recharge