Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Custom Third Brake Light ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Third Brake Light ?

Ok so when i took my OZ wing off i lost my third brake light. Im sure many others have the same issue. Ive seen a few lancers that have a custom third brake light installed. Im not talking about the ES that had a third brake light in the rear window stock. Im talking about people that have installed an LED strip in the rear window to replace the one lost with the wing. What i dont know is the best place to get the light and how to wire it. Any help would be appreciated, THANKS!!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think ive seen somebody take the brake light off the oz wing and mount it back there. also you can just get an evo third brake light from a stealership. I do beleieve in the trunk where the rear speakers are there is an extra plug in for the third brake light. In the OZ's it isnt used. Im sure you could just plug into that. Although I havnt tested it. I read this. Mabey someone could clarify or just test it.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a red 9" Optix light. It came with a back panel on it so it's easier to mount to whatever. I took it and cut off the cig lighter adapter and wired the wire through the speaker deck (in between the window and deck) which was a PITA!! and then I spliced it into the stock wire on the left trunk bar that used to connect to the old third brake light.

There's three wires in there. Two of them go to the brake light and the other one goes to the trunk release. Theres a green with orange stripe, green with silver dots, and black. You want to splice your wires into the green with silver dots and black. I checked to see if everything works then mounted it to my rear windshield using double sided 3M tape. Oh and I had a friend to check if the light was centered and if it functioned correctly.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Basically any led assembly with a resistor wired into it to regulate the voltage going to the LED will work. All you have to do is splice the wires in the trunk or use the ones already there. You could probably do some fabrication with a bit of fiberglass to make pretty much any shape you want. All i know is that you have to regulate the original 12 volts to the voltage the leds are rated at. Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

i know where i live they sell those bed liner tail lights for trucks, somethi like that would work perfect for the back window, full length. aslo, i have seen ppl dremel out slivers in the rear bumper and thrown leds behind it for a lower brake light, that could also be an option instead of the rear window. besides, whats wrong w/ the 2 lights u have, do u think a 3rd helps that much more?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:40 AM

besides, whats wrong w/ the 2 lights u have, do u think a 3rd helps that much more?
Wrecked RA 05 ...that's what wrong 2 lights! Well, that what happen to me. Depending on where you live. Here in my area, during the winter when it's windy and it snow, I can barely see my White RA!

Now I got a 06 RA!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ya weather in MA can get crappy and rainy and foggy. plus we have the second worst drivers in the nation here, RI has the first and they are 20 miles away from me, so i need to give these dumba$$es all the warning i can. Plus im more or less sure you need it to pass inspection I think im going to try the suggestion of buying an after market LED light off ebay. As for the wiring, i havent looked at it yet. I know theres the connection IN the trunk that the old one was hooked up to. How can i get from the inside of my rear window to that hookup ?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

south florida is pretty bad especially here in palm beach county w/ the ol d people. to get the wire ran to the trunk, all u have to do is put it down the rear deck up against the window, since its gunna be goin from there. or u can drill out a small hole, and run the wire
Old Aug 23, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

ah ok, ill take some install pics when i do it
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

i'm going to be running the trunk wiring back into the cabin. i bought a "universal" third brake light off ebay from some dude in canada. i figured it would be easier than driving up to nashua (NH) to go to their mitsu dealership since the place down the road from me no longer is a mitsu dealership (bastards!).

i will definitely have to do some chopping of this thing, but i think i can make it functional and fit. i'd like to get an evo one, or even one from an ES... but i don't know how much they would want for it from mitsu and i think i can do it cheaper if i do it myself.

we had a lady at work come back after an oil change and ask us for a new bulb in her third brake light because she failed inspection because it was out... we definitely need them.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

well that seals it, bought this on ebay tonight.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Hope the wiring is going to be easy

Last edited by Walkingchaos; Aug 23, 2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

wow install o nthat light was HUGELY easy. Theres a hole in the rear deck with just some comp board and fabrid over it, drill through use a small self tapping screw to secure your light, run the wire down and through, and splice it to the original plug for the third brake light. DONE. Ill post pics when i get back on monday. Thanks for the wiring help guys.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

good to hear that went well!

the style of my light prohibited me from using screws to hold it in place... the velcro works fine for me though.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:33 AM

i have a question about the oz rally third brake light on the wing. i attempted to take off the housing the other day only to fin that its one solid piece with the lights directly wired into it. i was hoping to be able to remove the lens and pull the lights out and put in a custom moving set of leds to act as a third brake light, purely for looks. has anyone or does anyone know of this being done or where i could get a clear lens for that light if i were to simply hack off the lights that are already there and wire in my own?

i had this idead simple to get a wee bit more attention, and my brother pointed out to me that the LED strip im going to attempt to put in are similar to the ones kitt had on its hood in knight rider in the 80's if that gives you a feel for what im trying to do for this third brake light set up.

any thoughts?