Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Antenna swapping info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello everyone!

just wanted to know if it would be possible to swap my current gts antenna with this :

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

its really cheap though but i think it would look nice...$4.99 is worth trying! lol

Do u guys think it would be possible to install this ? Is the base of my current antenna going to cause a problem or is it removable?

thanks
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FireFighter2968
Better roof/car shot black, please
Will do. I need to bust out the actual camera (not cameraphone) and hit it during the day. Everytime I have free time, it's at night.

Originally Posted by Xeroxed
Nice. I may have to pick one up. I hope it doesn't change much for me either, because I actually like about 15 minutes outside of Cleveland.

And yes, the weather channel is free. 184 (or something close) right?
Hola!

Yeah, it's 184 IIRC.

Originally Posted by alex_GTS
hello everyone!
just wanted to know if it would be possible to swap my current gts antenna with this :http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
its really cheap though but i think it would look nice...$4.99 is worth trying! lol
Do u guys think it would be possible to install this ? Is the base of my current antenna going to cause a problem or is it removable?
thanks
I got a blank page.

Originally Posted by SamT83
I don't know much about all this so you might have to bear with me... I definitely think the stock antenna looks goofy being so long. I like the 2" one like blacksheep got, but I'm thinking I'd like the look of a fin antenna like on the high-end luxos more. As far as putting one on, does the make of the car really matter? Cuz I'm thinking you could just find one and slap it on?
You can slap it on. It's the wiring that you need to know how to manage.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:55 PM

i just ordered my shorty antenna waiting for it to come in
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:19 AM

That's pretty cool. If they come out with one specifically for the 08 Lancers I'll probably do it myself. I'd want it to fit perfectly, though so I think I'll wait.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

If anyone knows please post, I think that shark fin looks pretty good especially since our cars are said to resemble a shark in the first place
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Will do. I need to bust out the actual camera (not cameraphone) and hit it during the day. Everytime I have free time, it's at night.

Hola!

Yeah, it's 184 IIRC.

I got a blank page.

You can slap it on. It's the wiring that you need to know how to manage.
Apparently the link doesn't work so i just uploaded the pic
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:04 AM

I can get to the link no problem... maybe it's only for Canadians. Anyways, I might give it a try since the CanTire near my work has it in stock. $5.69 (incl tax) is well worth a try. Let's just hope the reception is decent.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fathorse
I can get to the link no problem... maybe it's only for Canadians. Anyways, I might give it a try since the CanTire near my work has it in stock. $5.69 (incl tax) is well worth a try. Let's just hope the reception is decent.
yep for that prcie its really worth the try! but i am wondering... how are we gona remove our current antenna's "base" ?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Is that one actually a receiver, or just a cover-up? I've seen sites sell the VG Sharkfin Antenna for about $70 shipped. It comes with a coiled up antenna that replaces the old one and fits inside the fin. It can also be matched to body color by giving them your paint code. Six bucks is much better than 70 though if the Canadian one is legit.

I think the $70 one looks a lot sleeker too. You can check it out here:
http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SamT83
Is that one actually a receiver, or just a cover-up? I've seen sites sell the VG Sharkfin Antenna for about $70 shipped. It comes with a coiled up antenna that replaces the old one and fits inside the fin. It can also be matched to body color by giving them your paint code. Six bucks is much better than 70 though if the Canadian one is legit.

I think the $70 one looks a lot sleeker too. You can check it out here:
http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html
true, the $70 one looks much better.. but i'll try to install the $6 one this weekend (i hope to get some help installing in too lol) and post pics so u guys can see what it looks like..

personally if it looks okay and the reception is good i'd keep it!

cheers

p.s : and yes its an antenna and not a cover up!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

maybe im wrong but i think there is a sirus antenna in there too so the shark one might not work. could even be a GPS sensor in there but i dont think so.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:10 AM

btw, for all those lovely Canadians, there's a coupon online @ CanTire, purchase $40 and get $10 off. more tempted to give it a try plus savings on other car products
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

^Thanks for the info, the cheaper the better
Old Sep 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Regarding the VG Sharkfin:

I am in talks with them to find out if the sharkfin will fit over our Sirius equipped antennas. They say they've sold many on non sirius and they work fine, but have yet to test on a Sirius.

So I've sent them the proper information and should get a response pretty quickly today. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:34 AM

Darn... I was just at CT during lunch and the rep told me they just sold the last one to someone else. Now let's hope it's someone from here so we can know how good it works. I'll have to wait till afterwork to try another location.

Quick Reply: Antenna swapping info