Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

worth after a year?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worth after a year?

hello everyone!

i'm really thinking about trading in my fully loaded GTS for a ralliart or civic si coupe next summer (since i really won't be able to afford the evo -->$ 52000 CDN here!! )

so i was wondering how much are our cars going to be worth after a year?
predictions? guesses?

I don't know how much you guys in the US paid for it but here we pay $ 27 000 CDN for a fully loaded GTS (and we dont have navi like u guys , buts thats another issue lol).

anyways , i just hope this question hasn't been asked before...

thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:29 PM

How many miles do you think you will have at the time that you will be selling it? besides that you probably will lose alot of value thats how it is here in the states once you drove that car out the lot the value and hes decresing FAST!!! my guess would probably be like 7-8 K less
Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

My RA was 21K new, one year later KBB rated it at 13K with only 5,000 miles on it... Mitsu's do not keep their value, especially econobox models like ours...
Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Punkskalar
CARS do not keep their value, especially econobox models like ours...
Fixed that typo for you.
Seriously, all cars go down in value the first year. Money guru Dave Ramsey preaches that you should only buy cars that are a year old. They've lost most of the depreciation that way.

I'd say the car will probably get you high teens.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
value is always "eye of the beholder" beleive me you can always find a sucker / eager buyer out there, beleive me
Old Oct 21, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

So mitsu's don't keep their value.... that's already bad news lol

If I want to get something else next year i really need to get at least 20 K out of it...but apparently that would be hard to get... except if I find that SUCKER/EAGER buyer as evo_soui mentioned...lol

OK, but in general...when is the best time to sell your car? Is it after 3 years? 4? more?

thanks for all the replies guys!!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 07:36 PM

im not to sure about the trade in value, but try kbb and itll give you a rough estimate...also you should get the SI, thats what i own now and its a really nice car for what it is. and looks awesome....but im lookin to get into an evo soon! AWD turbo whoo
Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by magicballer2001
im not to sure about the trade in value, but try kbb and itll give you a rough estimate...also you should get the SI, thats what i own now and its a really nice car for what it is. and looks awesome....but im lookin to get into an evo soon! AWD turbo whoo
yeah the Si really looks awesome..I drove my cousin's Si last week and i find it a rocket compared to my GTS lol..

And guess what... he paid less than me

But , hey if the GTS was 2.4L and 200 hp i would have kept if no matter what lol

But that's just not gona happen...lol

For me , power + fun to drive > options...
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Unless you put down a bunch of money or had a great trade (heck, trade +cash) you are likely not going to get on the positive side of value on our cars until the 2.5 - 3 year mark. This lancer, barring some major issue that crops up, should hold it's value well compared to the last generation given our equipment and features. If they had TC it would be better still, one small item that hurts value a bit long run I bet. Ford/GM/Dodge cars tend to lose value faster than imports... even Kia/Hyundais are doing better these days on some of their recent models. It's all BS though... never had a bad/crappy Pontiac in my life, reliable as hell and usually nicer in many respects to competing cars in their segement (though usually a major drawback too)... reliable, safe, powerful, well equiped... but they always lost value faster than their import competitors thanks to how the press covers and rates cars (which is a tainted mess going back to the late 70s and early 80s when many imports were a lot better than crappy US detroit iron).
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I agree, imports will hold a higher % of resale value than domestics... That said, I've owned several honda's I bought cheap, put 100K on em, and it only cost me %500-1000 plus maintenance after I sold them... Im still amazed at how well a honda holds its value... not soo much for mitsu's though
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:08 PM

I'm guessing these cars will hold their value really well. They're not very expensive to begin with, and most people that know nothing about the new Lancer assume my GTS costed about $10k more than it did.

Also, buying a new design the first year it comes out helps too. The design of the 2008 Lancer could still pass as new for several more years until Mitsu redesigns it again. For example, I have a 1999 Mustang that could easily pass as a 2004 just by looking at it.

Remember to keep modifications subtle, tasteful and professional (maybe reversible) if your're concerned about retaining value. Not everyone has the same taste, and most people like to buy their used cars unchanged.