Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Steering Wheel Control Wiring

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Control Wiring

So here is the short version of my installation story. I bought my '08 Lancer with the stock stereo because I work at Best Buy and can get a DVD/Nav unit way cheaper than the Mitsu one. I had it (Pioneer Avic-D3) installed on Saturday but they didn't know which wires to splice into for the adapter for the steering wheel controls. I tried calling a few shops around Phoenix and nobody could tell me if they could install it or not. A few places said to bring it in and they could try... but I don't feel like paying people for labor if they can't install it. Does anyone know what is involved in getting the adaptor to work, or where to find the wiring diagrams for the steering wheel controls? Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Not that this may be entirely applicable... but in GM cars the wiring and signals are pretty much locked to the HUs they stock provide and do not work directly wired to after market HUs. A PAC or other brand of remote module is required to translate the OEM signals from the wheel controls to ones that aftermarket HUs can require. And considering how new this car is and it's market share, it may be a while yet before PAC and other companies get around to making these 'senders' (it took almost a year when the new GPs came out before there were units that worked as I recall, and the GP sells quite well on the whole).
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

^^ what he said...
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I do have a PAC adapter for the deck I bought. The installer just said he didn't know the wiring schematics to splice the adapter into. I know it works with after market HU's because another EVOM member had a JVC Double-DIN installed and used a PAC adapter with it and it worked fine. I sent him a PM but no answer yet.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by empire4vr
I do have a PAC adapter for the deck I bought. The installer just said he didn't know the wiring schematics to splice the adapter into. I know it works with after market HU's because another EVOM member had a JVC Double-DIN installed and used a PAC adapter with it and it worked fine. I sent him a PM but no answer yet.
could you post a DIY if you do find out? I was looking at the same HU because of the price. Would love to see pics of how it looks in the dash too if you get a chance. Definately sounds like a good choice
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

I put up some pics in the show and shine section.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

cool, looks good man. How was the fitment of that deck? looks pretty clean.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Fitment was ok from what I could tell. The only problem was that there was a gap all around the head-unit because the opening of the factory dash kit was too large, so they had to create a "face plate" to cover up the gap. Now I just have to get the steering wheel controls to work and figure out how to bypass the DVD player while driving... if I can find out how to do it with that model.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone found a wiring diagram for our steering wheel controls yet? I have tried several shops around Phoenix and nobody can seem to figure it out! WTF?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

i installed my head unit my self and made the little face plate to cover the gap, now wit the steering controls, ive been messing around with my test light trying to get some signals, i should post something for you this weekend...
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet! I would really appreciate that. Good luck!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Anything yet Drifting? I am so anxious to get this thing done!