Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

How To: Rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How To: Rear sway bar

Tools:
12mm socket/wrench
14mm socket/wrench

1. Lift the rear end of the car.

2. Remove the endlink from each end of the swaybar (14mm).

3. Remove the four bolts holding the swaybar brackets to the crossmember (12mm).

4. Pull the swaybar out either end.

5. Your new swaybar should come with it's own bushings. Grease them up (inside and out), and put them on the bar.

6. Slide the bar into place. MAKE SURE you have it above the control arms (I didn't; I had to remove and reinstall the bar to get it right).

7. Put the 4 bolts in that bracket the swaybar to the car. Tighten them to 23 ft-lbs.

8. Put the endlinks on the new bar. Tighten the nuts to 29 ft-lbs.

9. Put rear wheels back on.

10. Lower car.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Rear sway bar-2swayendlink.jpg   How To: Rear sway bar-3swayinstalled.jpg   How To: Rear sway bar-4swayinstalled.jpg   How To: Rear sway bar-1swaybracket.jpg  
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great instructions! Did you use the "not so firm" setting (if I'm correct) and is there any special reason for that or just a matter of preference.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by MasterAK
Great instructions! Did you use the "not so firm" setting (if I'm correct) and is there any special reason for that or just a matter of preference.
No, I used the "extra firm" setting. Just a matter of preference.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it make a big difference? and how different are the settings? I have an ES and it takes turns great out on my back roads but it looses a little traction in the rear at times and i'm thinking that this rear sway bar will help prevent that.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lan08
Does it make a big difference? and how different are the settings? I have an ES and it takes turns great out on my back roads but it looses a little traction in the rear at times and i'm thinking that this rear sway bar will help prevent that.
A bigger rear swaybar will make the car oversteer more.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

What is the diamater of the stock bar on the GTS?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karan
What is the diamater of the stock bar on the GTS?
it is 20 mm
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by lan08
Yes, it does make a very noticeable difference.

I don't know about the settings - I've only tried the one so far.

Um, this swaybar would make the rear lose traction MORE often. You get more oversteer from an RSB. Do you know why you're losing traction? It's abnormal to get oversteer on a stock FWD car unless you're really good at FWD "drifting"...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

do you need an alignment after you do this? I need to get an alignment after the springs but my bar wont be here for another couple weeks.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
do you need an alignment after you do this? I need to get an alignment after the springs but my bar wont be here for another couple weeks.
No alignment needed. You're not removing anything that has a major impact on the alignment of the car.

One thing to note - this install is best done with the rear wheels on something. If you can squeeze under the car while it's on the ground, great. If not, put something like ramps under the wheels and put the car on them. You want the weight of the car to be on the bar so a) install is much easier and b) the swaybar is installed as it will be under normal driving.

Also, I have no clue how to torque the endlink nuts without an impact. When I use a wrench, they just spin...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

been a while since anyone posted here but...

How tight were the stock bolts when you guys took that RSB off? I just got my works RSB (from cosworth actually lol) and the stock bolts are on as if the hulk put my car together... the car actually lifts a bit when i try to take the bolts off and the end links kinda bend... afraid im gonna break something on my car.... or my body when the bolt suddenly comes undone and all the force im putting into it comes down onto a bar or my face or something.... lol
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stefan.bounket
been a while since anyone posted here but...

How tight were the stock bolts when you guys took that RSB off? I just got my works RSB (from cosworth actually lol) and the stock bolts are on as if the hulk put my car together... the car actually lifts a bit when i try to take the bolts off and the end links kinda bend... afraid im gonna break something on my car.... or my body when the bolt suddenly comes undone and all the force im putting into it comes down onto a bar or my face or something.... lol
Try putting something like Liquid Wrench (or if you want to do it really cheap, Hydrogen Peroxide) on the end link bolts and letting them sit for a while.

You bring up a good point, too: RRM - make end links that aren't so crappy and weak.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:57 AM

I tried installing it yesterday. It was near impossible to get the end links off. Since both the stud and the nut were rusted, they were spinning together as i tried to unscrew it. How did you guys get yours off? I couldn't find a way to hold the stud in place, while trying to unscrew the nut. Please help!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

impact wrench. came right off for me. You could also use some wd-40 or liquid wrench to help it break loose. Are you using ramps or jack stands??
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Does the 09 Lancer GTS have sway bar? I mean stock sway bar?

Last edited by humblehyper; Mar 29, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: How To: Rear sway bar