Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Sound Proofing/Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound Proofing/Sound Deadening

I'm planning a project for next spring on my 09 GTS. As stated in the title, I want to sound proof the entire car to make it super quiet in the inside. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this install and can help me with sources on removing interior components of the car like front dash, roof, seats etc. Also, how much square footage will be enough? 100? 300?

If any of you have experience in doing this, please let me know. It won't be until next spring but I want to get a good idea of how much material I need, how much time it will take, and if taking apart the interior will be a nasty job.

thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Taking apart the interior will not be a problem. There is a how to on dash removal, door panel removal, seat removal (i will be installing recaro evo x seats this weekend), removing rear seat is cake and removing the carpet and the carpeted sides of the trunk is also easy.

not exactly sure how much material you will need. i dynamatted my 08 lancer (the entire trunk) and I used about 1 package (forgot how large it was but it was pretty big).

not sure if this helps but yeah
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

it's helps a lot. I'll be getting a product called Second Skin Damplifier. A guy did a comparison test and this one performed the best out of all of them and doesn't cost as much as dynamat does. It's a pretty good and informative site he has up.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I'll take a look at the how-to; I didn't even look to check for it. Did you "damage" any parts taking out or putting it in? (broken clips, bent headliner, cracked plastic etc) Any tricks or pointers?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
once you take apart the interior it will never go back just the same... you will get all kinds of extra vibrations in the plastics and buzzing sounds. I wouldnt risk it... might also void warranties on the interior electronics
Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I was also considering having a shop do it. I talked to a shop today and they did a hummer h2 for about $4K. that's a little too much for me....my cap is probably $1-$1.5K. From what I've read it's worth it and for me it would be worth it. That's probably part of the reason why more expensive luxury cars cost a bit more??
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mmartahus
once you take apart the interior it will never go back just the same... you will get all kinds of extra vibrations in the plastics and buzzing sounds. I wouldnt risk it... might also void warranties on the interior electronics
if your patient and you do your research on how to remove the parts of the car everything should be ok. removing interior trim plastics should not void warranty unless you rip the ribbon cable off the radio face plate when removing it or something.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

my plan right now is just to do the doors as my car, at least, has underspray on it and that helps to dampen the sound. Also with the sunroof cover closed, it really helps to quiet it down. I'm just going to do the trunk, doors and possibly wheel well with Damplifier and some sound absorbent from the same company.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by YeOldeLancer
I was also considering having a shop do it. I talked to a shop today and they did a hummer h2 for about $4K. that's a little too much for me....my cap is probably $1-$1.5K. From what I've read it's worth it and for me it would be worth it. That's probably part of the reason why more expensive luxury cars cost a bit more??
What kind of shop was this? Body shop? Car audio shop? And a Hummer has a much larger interior than an Evo. Would it still cost $4k to do an Evo?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

i'm an mecp certified master installer and i can tell you right away that most of the sound/road noise enters the car through the rear quarter panels of the seat. the two vertical side parts of the backside come out easily and you can put dynamat in there which dramatically soundproofs it. make sure you do it correctly though. as i'm an installer i just do it myself, all i can tell you is pay someone to do it. car toys will do it quickly to get it done, so i suggest going somewhere that takes their time
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:18 PM

Sound Deadening

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
i'm an mecp certified master installer and i can tell you right away that most of the sound/road noise enters the car through the rear quarter panels of the seat. the two vertical side parts of the backside come out easily and you can put dynamat in there which dramatically soundproofs it. make sure you do it correctly though. as i'm an installer i just do it myself, all i can tell you is pay someone to do it. car toys will do it quickly to get it done, so i suggest going somewhere that takes their time
Rear quarter panels in the trunk...?

I just removed all of the interior panels from the trunk to install the RRM Rear Strut Bar and noticed a huge dead space behind the side panels in the trunk... Removing these side panels exposed the rear quarter panels, is this what you are speaking of...?

Pictures would be great... Got any...?

Last edited by JoeyBallGame; Apr 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Corrected verbage...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
yes please, a picture of what section your talking about would be great, thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 06:19 AM

Push... Ditto... Pictures would definately be helpful, but a descriptive explaination would work too...