Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

ES Performance Upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ES Performance Upgrades??

Just want to start things off by saying that I am pretty new to this whole thing, so if I ask some stupid questions, please be gentle, ha ha. Anyways, I recently purchased an 09 Lancer ES. The dealer told me that many of the parts that go on the other Lancers (DE & GTS) are pretty much interchangeable between the three. After doing some research though and talking with a few of my buddies, I found out this is not entirely true. So here is my question(s): what sort of performance parts/ upgrades are available for my car? And if so, are they even worth spending the money on, or should I just sell and go with something different? Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

All the basic upgrades are available. You can start with an intake, exhaust, lightweight pulley, etc. If you want move on, new headers, maybe some suspension work, ECU tune/flash, sprintbooster, etc. However, none of this is really going to give you worthwhile gains. I advise only buying this crap if you've got extra money to blow, want your car to at least sound fast, or just enjoy tuning.

Since you're new to this I don't recommend going turbo, which is pretty much the only way you're going to see hp gains. If you have CVT you pretty much can't safely turbo your car. If you have MT you can run low boost. Of course going turbo is also a pricey upgrade and in the end your car is faster, but still not very fast lol.

This car is basically a low mounted glass ceiling. If you're looking for a decent car to tune I suggest you sell.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:32 PM

RRM v2 intake is the 1 st mod i would suggest
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Panis
All the basic upgrades are available. You can start with an intake, exhaust, lightweight pulley, etc. If you want move on, new headers, maybe some suspension work, ECU tune/flash, sprintbooster, etc. However, none of this is really going to give you worthwhile gains. I advise only buying this crap if you've got extra money to blow, want your car to at least sound fast, or just enjoy tuning.

Since you're new to this I don't recommend going turbo, which is pretty much the only way you're going to see hp gains. If you have CVT you pretty much can't safely turbo your car. If you have MT you can run low boost. Of course going turbo is also a pricey upgrade and in the end your car is faster, but still not very fast lol.

This car is basically a low mounted glass ceiling. If you're looking for a decent car to tune I suggest you sell.
i disagree with the low ceiling. i once we figure out the cvt it will only get better. the need has to be there for the performance cvt to grow. it's becoming trendy to have the cvt. and more and more ppl are wanting them. turbo + cvt = awesome mpg's & pwr. i'm not saying right now. but if the development is there, then there is no reason it cant be done

but i have a cvt
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Are CVTs actually being autocrossed? I find it hard to believe that a tranny of belts can withstand high hp... purely speculation though
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I've been talking to some people I know at work that know a lot about this stuff as well, and I've pretty much decided to sell. I love my car, but it's just not what I thought it would be. I'll definitely have more questions when I get my next car.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WangMan
Are CVTs actually being autocrossed? I find it hard to believe that a tranny of belts can withstand high hp... purely speculation though
I autocross/track mine, but I haven't modified anything on the car, either. It's lulztastic. Once it's up in its rev range, it just...stays there.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ninjacoco
i autocross/track mine, but i haven't modified anything on the car, either. It's lulztastic. Once it's up in its rev range, it just...stays there.
1+

Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:34 PM

I upgraded my intake to a INJEN and it sounds nice and put a little bit more performance in my car . I have it for sale now, because I bought a truck ..
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help but I have decided to sell. While I love the car, it is obviously not what I wanted. I'm going to be looking for an Evo as soon as I get back to the states so expect to hear from me if you are selling