Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

03 Lancer ES or OZ Rally, First Car?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Lancer ES or OZ Rally, First Car?

So I was thinking about getting a 03 Lancer ES or OZ Rally for my first car. My question is would this be a good first car considering I find someone who's selling a good one? Does it put out enough power to go a little faster than the normal speed limits? How's the gas mileage? How reliable is it? Are parts expensive for it, is it easy to fix/upgrade for a newbie?

Looking for a daily car by the way, that I can put a few mods into to make it a little better than the average daily car. And look better at well.

I'm a noob when it comes to cars so I wouldn't know much about em, but I'm trying to learn.

Thanks

Last edited by Tekknian; Sep 25, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

So far, I like my lancer. I have an 03 OZ. I bought it new, enjoyed it for about 7 years, then turbo'd it because it wasn't as fast as I wanted it to be. Stock it's about 95 whp, basic mods, about 110whp, turbo 150 at 6psi, maybe 200 at 10psi. For comparison sake, at 6psi I'm fine if I need to pass someone to get up on the onramp, even a nice 3 series bmw or something. Some of the other guys have no problem passing up a mustang gt with 12+psi.

Reliable...pretty good. Gas millage, pretty good...30mpg or so, 32 on the highway. Parts don't seem too expensive, general standard cost as far as like, things I've done have all been reasonable. I buy mostly oem parts, because autozone and those type seem to carry crap most of the time, but you know...check like mitsubishi parts dot come or whatever and pick a random thing and see the cost.

As far as fix/upgrade...I'm certainly a noob, and have learned as I went. So far, been fine...I know most of the guys who have blown engines seem to pick them up used for ...400-800 bucks depending on millage, but then you have to know how to install it, so that's really reasonable. An evo engine would be like 4k minimum I think.

No matter what the project or car, enough research and learning and you can figure it out.

So....same point as everyone else will probably say, if you want raw speed, the lancer isn't the car. If you have high goals of 350hp...probably not the right platform to choose (if you had one already...diff story). So, pick one up if you get a sweet deal. OZ package is over-rated though, get a model that has ABS and 5 lug if you can, if that exists, think it's the ES, not 100% sure. OZ has no ABS, 4 lug...I don't like wheel choices with it.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

It depends on what you're using your car for. If you're looking for a reasonable daily driver that gets from pt A to pt B, with good gas mileage, reasonable trunk space, able to seat 5, then yeah, and ES or an OZ would be a good car.

However, if you're looking to add some power to it on a small budget, than you're better off on another platform that'll give you noticable gains for a small amount. I love my Lancer and I've always babied it since I bought it in 2006. I've also installed every bolt on part under the sun, which was an expensive process. There are not as many manufacturers who produce lancer parts, compared to main stream cars like civics and 240s, and because of that, we're at the whim of their pricing for the most part. I'm taking the N/A route and am waiting for my Lancer to get out of the shop. I'm having the motor built up and throwing in a DOHC head. Again, an expensive process, although the turbo route would've cost a fraction of price.\

With that said, if you're looking for in it for a reliable daily driver, it's a good car. But if you're looking to do some mods, than don't expect any big gains unless you go the turbo route. If you're still going with a Lancer I'd say get an OZ. It's a good platform to start with. The whole 'upgraded suspension, Lips and sideskirt, racing style gauge clustor and alloy wheels' are things you don't have to chase after if you start with an ES. I started with an ES and ended up having to spend a good amount to chase after those OZ parts.

To add to HornstarBU, the ES also has 4 lugs, but a different lug spec. There are more choices for aftermarket wheels and brakes for an OZ than an ES.

Last edited by Midnightkid; Sep 25, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:34 PM

Hey guys thanks for the quick answers, Appreciate it so much.

I'm probably just going to use it as my daily (and some long distance driving) since it'll be my first car but I wanna add some, not too expensive, performance mods and appearance things to it to make a little better (tiny bit) than most other cars. Is it bad not having ABS? like is going to be dangerous or something? can you upgrade to 5 lugs?

damn you guys put some cash into your lancers, was it worth it in the end? Like no offense or nothing just curious because I might want to turbo it or put a lot of cash into it, or I might just end up buying an Evo once I get the cash.

I think I've set my mind on the OZ Rally with like one of those big evo spoilers on the back.

Again thanks for the answers guys, really do appreciate it.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Midnightkid
It depends on what you're using your car for. If you're looking for a reasonable daily driver that gets from pt A to pt B, with good gas mileage, reasonable trunk space, able to seat 5, then yeah, and ES or an OZ would be a good car.

However, if you're looking to add some power to it on a small budget, than you're better off on another platform that'll give you noticable gains for a small amount. I love my Lancer and I've always babied it since I bought it in 2006. I've also installed every bolt on part under the sun, which was an expensive process. There are not as many manufacturers who produce lancer parts, compared to main stream cars like civics and 240s, and because of that, we're at the whim of their pricing for the most part. I'm taking the N/A route and am waiting for my Lancer to get out of the shop. I'm having the motor built up and throwing in a DOHC head. Again, an expensive process, although the turbo route would've cost a fraction of price.\

With that said, if you're looking for in it for a reliable daily driver, it's a good car. But if you're looking to do some mods, than don't expect any big gains unless you go the turbo route. If you're still going with a Lancer I'd say get an OZ. It's a good platform to start with. The whole 'upgraded suspension, Lips and sideskirt, racing style gauge clustor and alloy wheels' are things you don't have to chase after if you start with an ES. I started with an ES and ended up having to spend a good amount to chase after those OZ parts.

To add to HornstarBU, the ES also has 4 lugs, but a different lug spec. There are more choices for aftermarket wheels and brakes for an OZ than an ES.
Ah, so it's the ralliart or whatever that came in later years with 5 lug then I guess?

And also for the other post...I hate those big evo spoilers, they just look so bad to me. I like those little duck bill lookin trunks, that's a sweet "wing" imo.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Theres nothing unsafe with not having ABS IMO. I would rather not have it with our weather. You should know how to stop without it since it will get you in more trouble with it if you dont. Granted this is IMO so take it for that. I have had my 02 oz since july of 02 and it other then normal wear and tear has cost me max 3-4k in repairs. I have spent more on my built motor/turbo setup then everything else. Also I would highly suggest searching. To me the Tein SS and upgraded sway bar/strut bar had been the best money on the car. Turbo is coming up but untill I get my tune worked out it is still 2nd .