Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Help Buying First Lancer - Want tips/feedback/suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Buying First Lancer - Have 2 Options!

Hi everybody,

I am looking to buy my first car very soon, but I have 2 options in a Lancer:

1. 03 Lancer ES.

Automatic (I can't drive stick.... yet), 99k Miles. Stock. Ran VIN history report. Clean title. 0 accidents. It is clean, clean, clean. I went to see it in person and the interior was super clean. The exterior was in great condition with a blemish or spot here and there and just a TINY bit of rust around the wheel well (normal, though). Drove nice, too. Negotiated with seller and we got it down to $1600-1700.

2. 03 Lancer OZ Rally.

Automatic. 140k miles. Ran VIN history report. Clean title with just 1 accident in 2009 (right rear corner, but looks to be fixed from photos). Aftermarket rims, exhaust pipe, sound system. Seller says it's ready to go. I have not seen it yet, but the seller's photos look nice. Car looks like it could use a wash, though. Seller's asking $2200, but open to negotiate.

I've registered to these forums because I wanted to ask about what problems may occur on a Lancer, and get any other tips people may have (general maintenance, common car issues, the cost of repairs, the cost of parts, if parts were hard-to-find, modifications) etc. etc. The one thing I don't want to happen is to buy a Lancer and then spend 3-4 grand on repairs! So please, if you have any input or suggestions, tips, or anything, let me know! I'm a sponge. I'll absorb any info to make an informed purchase.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by ShifterJM; Jan 12, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:54 AM

Me personally, w/o seeing either of these in person I would go with option 1 because it has low mileage and is considerably cheaper and you saw it in person already. I'm not too crazy about those rims on that OZ and it has an exhaust which may/may not sound like crap without seeing/hearing it in person I suppose.

Do either of these cars have maintenance records to verify if/when the timing belt was done? That's one thing to consider when purchasing these cars since they have interference motors and the replacement interval is 60k. Assuming you're not inclined to do the work yourself, expect to dish out $500.00 give or take for that job so you can add that to the purchase cost.

Take both out for a test drive and look them over and see which one you like best.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 07:20 AM

Unfortunately both were sold. I was on way to see the OZ but the guy sold it. I regret not jumping on it quicker. Guy was asking just $2200 for it.

The first one, the Black ES, was nice, but I didn't like the interior.