Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

02 Lancer OZ build, I need answers.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Lancer OZ build, I need answers.

So I'm planning in doing a project with my 02 Lancer Oz. As we all know,the 4G94 engine isn't that great. So with that being said, nice done research on engine swaps, many people want the evo 4G63T engine, but I came across people that have done the 4G64 swap. The only thing is, it's SOHC, but the 94 Galant GS has a DOHC 4G64. So I wasn't to go that route which I know can due to other swaps, but I got some questions.

1.) Can i put a 2g 4g63 or evo 4G63T head on the already DOHC Galant 4G64. Is it just bolt on and go, or do I need parts replaced, parts needed?

2.) What kind of transmission am I gonna need, i read that the 2g GS-T 4G63 can work with a 98 galant transmission. Could I use the 98 Galant transmission with the 94 DOHC 4G64 Galant.

I have a lot on my checklist on what I want to do and I need these answers, all answers will help, thank you.

I DONT NEED THE (THERE'S A SEARCH BUTTON, USE IT) ANSWERS IVE USED IT MANY TIMES AND I DONT FIND THE ANSWERS I NEED.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:38 AM

I wish I had an answer for you but sadly I don't, I've noticed that this forum site is awful! Nobody helps at all. You can get 100 plus views and not one reply. The people on this site are not helpful at all. I'd recommend trying to find another lancer forum hopefully that'll be more helpful. I've been looking for one myself.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Pblazed28
I wish I had an answer for you but sadly I don't, I've noticed that this forum site is awful! Nobody helps at all. You can get 100 plus views and not one reply. The people on this site are not helpful at all. I'd recommend trying to find another lancer forum hopefully that'll be more helpful. I've been looking for one myself.
buddy, your posts are awful. That's why no one replies, they read it, and then they don't bother to waste their time...I know, because I was one of those 100 people who viewed it, I even replied to some of your questions, and you let the topic die, with no reply, no conclusion, no thank you...sometimes you need to help yourself, and figure out problems...if you have a legitimate problem with the car, many active users would be glad to help, but your posts are kind of moot, most of the time. Oh yeah, and asking for opinions about how you want to rice out your car with tacky accent colors isn't going to go very far...

Originally Posted by bumble.beast
So I'm planning in doing a project with my 02 Lancer Oz. As we all know,the 4G94 engine isn't that great. So with that being said, nice done research on engine swaps, many people want the evo 4G63T engine, but I came across people that have done the 4G64 swap. The only thing is, it's SOHC, but the 94 Galant GS has a DOHC 4G64. So I wasn't to go that route which I know can due to other swaps, but I got some questions.

1.) Can i put a 2g 4g63 or evo 4G63T head on the already DOHC Galant 4G64. Is it just bolt on and go, or do I need parts replaced, parts needed?

2.) What kind of transmission am I gonna need, i read that the 2g GS-T 4G63 can work with a 98 galant transmission. Could I use the 98 Galant transmission with the 94 DOHC 4G64 Galant.

I have a lot on my checklist on what I want to do and I need these answers, all answers will help, thank you.

I DONT NEED THE (THERE'S A SEARCH BUTTON, USE IT) ANSWERS IVE USED IT MANY TIMES AND I DONT FIND THE ANSWERS I NEED.
back on topic...so a 2g eclipse/talon GST, or GSX head, or an Evo 1-3 head will bolt up to any 4g63 or 4g64 block of the era, keep in mind there are differences in head stud/bolt diameters between 6 and 7 bolt blocks. that being said, everything from evo 4 to 9, the engine block is reversed with the head facing the same direction, so swapping between those generations will not work. Now that we've cleared that up, now you need to realize that you chassis is designed to have the engine on the passenger side, and the transmission on the driver side, so that makes mounting 1g/2g or early Evo engines much more difficult, and require major modifications and fabrication to the chassis, as well as the subframe, and cross members...

If you want to swap to a 2.4L you can use either the 4G69, or a modern 4G64 that is oriented the same way...bolt are 7 bolt blocks and are dimensionally identical and will accept any 4G6x head, i.e. Evo 4-9. Howver, both 4g69 and 4g64 have notoriously weak bottom ends, because they were both designed as SOHC non-turbo engines, like the 4g94, so swapping to one would only be a displacement advantage, but none will tolerate much more than around 250-300hp. If you're looking to make big power (300-450hp) without building a bottom end your easiest swap would be a complete 4g63T from an Evo 4-9. Or a 4G93T. Both are designed as a turbocharged motor, and has lower compression ratio, and stronger pistons.

For the transmission, any transmission that bolts up to a 4g63, 4g64, or 4g69 engine block should work, the main issue is not whether it bolts up, but finding the correct clutch/flywheel combination...this is something you may have to pioneer, unless you can find info from someone who's done it. But it's likely that if you use a clutch and flywheel that matches the transmission, rather than the engine your odds of success are better. You'll probably end up with a different version of the F5M42 that has a bell housing designed to mate to a 4G6 block.

it would be less work to turbo the 4G94, make 250whp and call it a day...
The following users liked this post:
2winscroll (Aug 12, 2016)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:05 AM

I didn't know asking opinions and for help on situations I had were classified as awful. Usually when people go to a forum to ask a question it's because they've done the research and couldn't find an answer so they go to people with the same car who may have more knowledge than them. And changing the accents on a car definitely doesn't "rice" it out, it's making it unique to that person and not having a car that looks like every other lancer on the street. I definitely didn't ask about some big loud *** exhaust that screams when your going 20 mph, or how some tacky *** GT spoiler would look on it with a ugly front bumper on it.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
You asked for help and I replied, you asked what color to paint your grill, I cringed and didn't reply, and neither did anyone else, so you bash the forums in a reply to someone else's post without offering any constructive input...it was awful...you what do you want?