Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

LED Tail Light Problems!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Tail Light Problems!

I've bought a set of LED tail lights and replaced them on my vehicle. It was fine for a while and they worked a treat for a long time, apart from my cruise control not working. Now, all of a sudden, the brake lights are working intermittently when I depress the brake pedal (flashing on/off) sometimes working, other times they flash. My reverse lights aren't working at all and my reverse camera (in-built to my head deck system) doesn't even automatically change over when I put it in reverse.

Help, please!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I'd doublecheck all the wiring in the lights, make sure everything is connected and has a solid connection. Might be a bad ground or something. Check everything for continuity, maybe even resistance, though not sure what kind of reading you'd want there.

There are some standard readings for wire resistance but those are usually for long lengths.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/wirega.html
Old Aug 26, 2017, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the reply and info. I'd be searching just for a general guide for different diameter wire for a little while as I learnt it not too long ago and it can come in handy.

I have removed the tail lights and checked all plugs and they are securely connected. I have also had a look near the brake pedal at the switch and it seems fine.

I think it is something to do with the circuit itself. I think there might be an overcurrent as the LED's use fewer amps than standard halogen bulbs and therefore it might be causing the flickering on/off. I might need to put some resistors in the circuit somewhere. I'm not a big fan of splicing at all, but if I have to splice a resistor to each brake light then so be it.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:56 PM

So, I decided I'd put my old stock tail lamps in and did so. I put them all in and reverted the car back to stock. The tail lights worked but ONLY when the headlights were on, the blinkers work (always have, never had a problem with them), and the reverse lights don't work (didn't when the LED's were on neither). All connections are good, replaced the reverse lights and they don't work still, earths are good, blinkers are fine, fuses are good. BUT, I went and inspected the brake pedal switch and everything was in tact (yes, the little rubber was still in its place) but when I depressed the pedal and the lights wouldn't light up (as they usually wouldn't) I pressed the switch in and out and the switch would only illuminate the lights occasionally, but very rarely. I think it could be the brake switch, unless the brake lights use a relay on the 2008 CJ Lancer ES models?
Anyone help? Please?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess you could take the switch out and put a multimeter on it. Set the multimeter to continuity and sear for the beep when you press it. I'm only guessing it's a simple on/off switch.

If that works, look at a wiring diagram, see what fuses or connections might be faulty down the line. Something could easily be loose.