Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: 2G Eclipse GSX Fuel Pump Swap

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2003, 11:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOW TO: 2G Eclipse GSX Fuel Pump Swap

HOW TO: '96 Eclipse GSX Fuel Pump Swap

(GSX Pump on the right)

What you'll need:

phillips screwdriver
flathead screwdriver or a knife
8mm open end wrench
Your gas tank to about 1/4 full or less. Mine was empty

---Step 1 (Getting the rear seat off):

Near the middle of each outer seat, you can feel around for where the rear seats attach to the car. Near where they are connected, just yank them out. The seats are clipped in and seem to be sturdy enough to not need to be so gentle.

---Step 2 (Getting the tank cover off):

Use the phillips screwdriver to take out the 4 screws holding the black access panel to the fuel pump.

---Step 3 (Bleeding the system):

Remove the wiring harness to the fuel pump. There is a tab opposite to where the wires enter. Push it while pulling the harness out. With the wiring harness disconnected, start the car and let it die. I only did it once. Take off your gas cap.

---Step 4 (Disconnecting the lines):

The fuel line to the rail is the one with the black harness. The hose with the clamp is the return line. Place a rag under both lines. First take out the line with the black harness. When you move it to the side, you now have room to move the clamp off the return hose and room to tug at it a bit. When tugging at the return line, you can push into it a little before pulling it. This kind of breaks a seal from when it was being clamped. Be careful though because this is all still just plastic.

Step 5 (Taking out the pump):

Remove the outside nuts with the 8mm open end wrench. You kind of have to get at the inside nuts at an angle.
You have to be careful as you might strip the nuts getting at them at an angle. The nuts are actually not torqued down very hard at all.

*Take note as to how much they were torqued down.

You should now just unplug the gray wiring harness from the pump. Push down on the small square while pulling out with your fingernail. Well thats how i did it. Also remove the black wire that clips onto the side of the assembly.

Twist the pump out as you pull on it. It should come out with a few twists and tugs. The only thing on the pump output shaft is a plastic spacer. I didn't use it. A wiring harness should still be attached. Push down on the tab of the wiring harness and pull it out.

(pic taken from vfaq.com)

I'm not sure but i took this step because of the clearance problem of the tank. The fuel filter from the lancer pump should be taken off and put on the GSX pump. Use the flathead or a knife to take off the circle metal clamp thingy. Keep at least one of them intact so you can put it on the new pump.

So with the wiring harness and fuel filter from the lancer brought over to the GSX pump, connect it all into the fuel pump assembly. take the bottom rubber piece from the lancer assembly and use it instead of the thicker GSX piece. Drop the whole assembly back into the tank.

* The assembly is going to stick out a little as if it doesn't fit. Fuggedaboutit! When tightening the nuts back on, it will seal. Since there is no spacer on the outlet shaft of the fuel pump and the bottom rubber piece is in fact rubber, it all squishes down and fits.

Step 6 (Put it all back together):

Installation is the reverse of removal. Note that one of the bolts on the tank has a red mark, as well as the metal plate that holds the fuel pump assembly down. The plate and plastic fuel pump assembly only go in one way so line up the red marks. Make sure you don't torque down those nuts hard as you may strip the threads or the nuts themselves. Probably a weak 5-6 lb's of torque(I don't know exactly). Really weak, but enough for a good seal.

Before putting the black access panel back, take a ride around the block that maybe involves swishing the gas in the tank. When you get back, check for leaks. If no leaks, no worries. Enjoy.

To post comments or questions on this swap, see the tech forum post here.

Last edited by HobieKopek; May 12, 2003 at 09:12 AM.