Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

DIY 30K mile service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ENG1NERD
Thank you very much for this excellent guide. I used it today to complete my 30k mile service, and everything went smoothly.

That is, until I went to check my manual transmission oil. I got my 24mm socket and began removing the fill plug to check the level. However, as I took the plug out, manual transmission oil began pouring out. I quickly put the plug back in to stop it. The quality of the oil was quite clean, so I'm not concerned about that. But is the level of the oil a problem? Is it too full? Should I drain some? Is it possible that because I had driven the car about 2.5 hrs earlier it could have still been warm, and therefore it had expanded to a larger volume? Please help!
Look very carefully at the attachment in post #10. Make absolutely sure that you're straight on the drain plug and the fill plug! If your car is level, then oil should not be "pouring out" when you remove the fill plug. The oil will expand some when heated. However, I still don't think it is appropriate for that much oil to come out of the fill plug, especially if the car had been sitting for a couple of hours. If you're in Denver, then I think that's plenty of time for the tranny to cool.

You said the oil looks clean. That may be, but if you've got new oil ready to go in, and your car is due for the oil change, then I suggest you go ahead and do it. Drain the old oil, replace the drain plug, and add new oil just to the level of the fill plug (as per the post #10 attachment).

Are you absolutely sure you removed the fill plug, and not the drain plug???
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Are you absolutely sure you removed the fill plug, and not the drain plug???
Haha I knew this would be the first question. Yes, I am sure. 24mm bolt that faces the front bumper of the car and says something to the effect of "Please read owner's manual before filling." That's the one I took out, and oil starting coming out. And yes I am sure the car was on level ground.

I ended up waiting until the morning so the oil had completely cooled, then I took the plug out again and just let it drain until it stopped, therefore (hopefully) reaching the proper level of right below the fill hole. It wasn't overfilled by too much. I'm terrible at estimating volumes, but maybe only 1/4 of a quart came out. Again, the quality of the oil is very good, so I won't replace it for now.

From the research I've done, this shouldn't have really negatively affected my car. But now it's got me wondering whether it came like this from the factory, happened at a dealership, or the previous owner did it. At least I know it's correct now though!