Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

input shaft bearing on 03 lancer oz has rubber gastet??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
input shaft bearing on 03 lancer oz has rubber gastet??

Ok I have to change out my input shaft bearing and did not see a rubber shaft gasket. Is there supposed to be one? My Throwout bearing went out and sprayed fluids everywhere so changed out disk, housing, fly wheel ect. But saw my input shaft had broken metal rings off the bearing. And the main shaft has a 1/8 in wiggle to it. So i ordered a new bearing but is there a gastet there too? The few post on this are ok but the good one about installing a limited slip differential has the photos removed.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yes there's a seal on the input shaft, but I'm not sure what you mean about the pieces, can you post pictures? your input shaft bearing is huge, and is inside the transmission case. if it failed, the pieces would all be inside the transmission...are you sure you don't mean the clutch release bearing (throw out bearing)? also if there's 1/8" shaft play on your input shaft, the seal would be toast, and would leak transmission fluid, and there will be gear damage as well. Obviously you drained the transmission prior to removal, what did the oil look like? was it grey? the input shaft seal gets installed from the inside the transmission case, and the input shaft bearing is pressed onto the input shaft. Here's a how-to I did on transmission disassembly, in the next few weeks i'll be doing a follow up on how to reassemble, including differential preload adjustment, as well as seal installation.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...-assembly.html
Old Apr 5, 2015, 09:33 AM

The oil was dark brown. No gray or silver. The throw out bearin

g was toast and in two pieces. I'll see about pics of it later today. For now only of the throwout.

Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd also check the crankshaft rear main seal, behind the flywheel, before you disassemble the tranny, just to be sure. And if you are in this deep anyway, and seals are starting to get hard and wear out due to mileage and age, do'er while it's accessible as its not a tough job.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 01:19 PM

Yes I have 190k on it.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

when you say there's play in the input shaft, is it end play (in and out) or side to side?...if it's rotational play, that's backlash and is normal to some extent...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:54 AM

Ok it has play side to side. And I can see the berrings freely rolling around. So got the new parts and started taking it apart.

Ya its shot.

Good thing the magnet cught the rest of the berrings parts

Could have trashed the gears.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, that's toast...how could you have seen that from the outside?

If I were you, I would have a VERY close look at all of the gears...if there's any wear, they could potentially have too much backlash, which over time will exponentially cause a lot more wear, and noise...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 13, 2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 04:16 PM

Ya I looked and cleaned everything. Nothing is chipped and all looks good. It only took me 2 hrs to take apart the transmission and swap out the bad bearing and add the new oil seal. But took me 3hrs to just get the snap ring to clip back too the end bearing on the shaft. I took a video of the play of the input shaft and the bearings rolling around that I'll put on youtube.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Akito
Ya I looked and cleaned everything. Nothing is chipped and all looks good. It only took me 2 hrs to take apart the transmission and swap out the bad bearing and add the new oil seal. But took me 3hrs to just get the snap ring to clip back too the end bearing on the shaft. I took a video of the play of the input shaft and the bearings rolling around that I'll put on youtube.

first time? 2 hours is not too bad...Lol, anyway, I have a disassembly how-to on youtube I just did when I swapped my rebuilt shafts into the case...but have been too busy for an assembly video...

(not) pro tip: with the tranny laying flat on the mouth of the clutch housing, spread the snap ring while gently lifting (prying) the output shaft upward by using a large common screw driver, or small wrecking bar through the reverse idler access cover...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 13, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:39 PM

Ya I thought about that but did not want to risk breaking a part or tooth. So I looked and inspected what parts make it go up and saw the bar for the reverse light when sled up moves the shaft up. So a bar on that pryd it up so the snap ring was open just not high enough to seat it in the grove. It would not go the extra 1/8 in to make it. So after 5 times of re-sealing the case from the opening and closing I got it to the 1/8in part and had 2 bolts to hold it together then turned it up side down and nothing.... so I lefted it up a inch to smack it down to hope it would fall in place. And after 2 failed try's I gave it one more shot to have it go in.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

moving the shift rails shouldn't move the shaft...it should only move the synchro sleeve...anyway, glad you got it, just hope you didn't break anything because it should go back together VERY easily, unless something is damaged...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 07:13 AM

I thought so too. But every thing seems fine. I will run through the shift gears and spin the input shaft by hand.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 04:57 PM

Ok it's all back together and the car runs great. Here is a video of the transmission before fix.
http:// https://m.youtube.com/watch?...&v=suQVMBx8RsM
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:15 PM

For the life of me I cannot find the right bearing. Oriellys don't have it they have the wrong part and I search on the internet and I don't know where y'all are finding this input shaft bearing but can you guys please point me in the right direction. Only other thing I can think of is calling the dealer come Monday.

Quick Reply: input shaft bearing on 03 lancer oz has rubber gastet??