Notices
Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum For parts that can be used on both Lancer & Mirage models, post/look in here.

Mirage suspension

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mirage suspension

Let's discuss what fits and what doesn't.

Recently I've been told that the Lancer ES is very close in design to the Mirage and can share suspension upgrades (dampers, springs) but the OZ is a 'new' style (probably a test run for the RA) so there's no compatibility there. What did the Mirage have that an ES guy might want to use? What can be modified to fit?

antilift kit. This burns my ***. Mitsu went and totally redesigned the front A-arms from the mirage to the lancer so instead of having a "]" shaped bracket at the rear of the control arm that holds a bushing, we get a donut. There is no place on our car that this kit will fit. No anti-dive, no anti-lift, no caster change Worse, our best source for badass bushings, deyeme, says they can't make a urethane replacement because the ruber is bonded to the metal ring and the way the middle metal bushing is cast makes it next to impossible to get a reliable fit.

Does anybody know of control arm replacements? I'd like to save weight with some aluminum control arms (front and rear)- did the mirage ever have anything like this? (I know you can get them for a 2.5RS from some group N rally sites)
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, the ES is a carry over chassis from the mirage as a cost saving measure. Of course, not everything, but close enough.

As for the control arm, you might want to source it w/ Evo parts accordingly to the generation.

2g DSM springs = same as 5g Evo springs as so with struts. G93 owners had bought adjustible KYB front struts that was supposed to be for the mirage. The base of the strut that held the spring in place was a tad too big, but it fit perfectly for 2g DSMs.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 12, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I had coilovers for the Mirage, would they
fit right into the Lancer (Front & Rear?)
Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

The only thing I've seen is the rear lower trailing arm
Someone imported this from Taiwan.
Not sure if this will fit you guys

Last edited by Evo666; Mar 27, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo666
The only thing I've seen is the rear lower trailing arm
Someone imported this from Taiwan.
Not sure if this will fit you guys

^...wait, was that a reply to my question?
Either way, that looks BADASS. I WANT THAT

Last edited by CityKnight; Mar 28, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CityKnight
^...wait, was that a reply to my question?
Kinda wondering that too...
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

For those who remember, I did look into other suspensions a while back. I was looking at the Evo struts. The struts were fine in front, but wouldn't bolt in the rear because of the way they bolt to the control arm. Which leads me to say we could look into Evo control arms and have a whole new line of suspension products to look at.

With that said, spring rate would be the next thing to look into.

Sry Alchemist... this wasn't Mirage related but I figured I'd chip in with that piece of info
Old Mar 30, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Kinda wondering that too...
sorry I wasn't answering any question just showing ya the options we have which I can't even get my hands on.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
For those who remember, I did look into other suspensions a while back. I was looking at the Evo struts. The struts were fine in front, but wouldn't bolt in the rear because of the way they bolt to the control arm. Which leads me to say we could look into Evo control arms and have a whole new line of suspension products to look at.

Sry Alchemist... this wasn't Mirage related but I figured I'd chip in with that piece of info
That helps alot!!! Wow, what an idea!!!

(I dont know much about Control Arms) Is it difficult to put on Evo Control Arms?

If not, I've found my next project, and "Hello, TEIN Flex!"

Last edited by CityKnight; Apr 3, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

yea helps me too
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125

Can you link me to the thread you did that in because I remember reading that but I cant find the thread (dont remember the name)
Old Apr 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm already ahead of you on the spring rates 7kgf/mm Front and 5kgf/mm Rear is the rate for the tein kits (ss and basic). I think the relatively soft rates are killing me at autocross, I can really feel the car want to roll. The rear is so bad that once the tires heat up I tend to snap-oversteer I'll post info in a more appropriate thread once I've settled on new springs. I'm looking at Tein Straight Springs at 12kgf/mm Front and 9kgf/mm Rear but that may be too much for the dampers, although outward apprearance is that they're the same dampers as the Flex kit (and those spring rates happen to be the same rates as the Flex dampers for the Evo- but I didn't find that out until after I decided that was what I wanted ).
Old Apr 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

I think Im gonna get some Evo Rear Control Arms..
Are you sure they'll swap over?

If thats all it takes, in order to fit other Coilovers, then I wanna make this my next project, and I'll post it for everyone..
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

found a pic of the evo lower control arm...

Name:  evo9-rear-coilover.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.9 KB

and heres a pic of ours (from rrms website)
Name:  ESSwayBar1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  14.5 KB

I think it will fit. Might end up pushing the ride height up a bit along with increasing positive camber but i think those can be corrected...

Last edited by sykou; Apr 11, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

why are you changing LCA's anyways? If your intention is to use evo coilovers, then your car would be way off since your Lancer has different weight.

Quick Reply: Mirage suspension