Notices

Amp Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cangriracing
I just strip the end of the remote wire and cram it in to one of the fuses that is in the fuse box below the steering wheel
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

The REM IS in the din cable. I know that you want to keep the changer. But given the low price and availability of other options (i.e. iPod, mp3 usb) available for carrying tons of music. I strongly recommend you get a new head unit and use the soundgate plug. That way you will have easy access to the REM for your sub amp, and if the unit you buy comes with 3 preamp outputs better yet. If you incist in staying with the stcok HU you'll either have to use the toggle switch or splice the din cable and tap into the rem (if possible)
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 06_RALLI///ART
cool!...thanks for the clarification dan! .....yeah im thinking the din cable is gonna have that in it....and the open wires from the harness are the speaker wire.

what do you think about just running the REM from the battery and just putting it on a toggle switch? i've done it before on another car of mine, i just have to remember to turn it off...lol
I think you've got some great adivce above...I can tell you I did a full bypass of the stock amp, because I didn't want the stock amps eq touching any of my speakers. My deck allows me full fontrol of everyspeaker, and a rediculous option between a 8 band eq, hgh pass, and low pass, as well as the normal bass, treble, sub..then I' have the full settings on my amp...To put it simple, this is the exact reason I didn't just put the sub in with the stock deck, honestly unless you haven't spent crap on your amp or sub, you've wasted your money...The quality really won't be great, and the only problem with running these wires off a speaker is that your going to pull your W out of one of your speakers...Correct me if I'm wrong, but your splitting the wattage automatically when you splice in and run it into your rca swithover...so you've got one speaker with a dropped wattage, so I personally think you need to split both and run both into the RCA conversion...But I would splice in behind the deck. I did mine almost a year ago, but I'm almost positive it's the yello wire running into the harness...Pull the dash, and test the wire, if it is...then your problem is solved...It'll take no more than 20-30 mins at the very most to pull the dash, test the wire, splice it, and run it back...Providing you understand what your doing entirely before you start doing it...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

you can't run both speaker level wires together because it will short the radio.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheJapsican
I think you've got some great adivce above...I can tell you I did a full bypass of the stock amp, because I didn't want the stock amps eq touching any of my speakers. My deck allows me full fontrol of everyspeaker, and a rediculous option between a 8 band eq, hgh pass, and low pass, as well as the normal bass, treble, sub..then I' have the full settings on my amp...To put it simple, this is the exact reason I didn't just put the sub in with the stock deck, honestly unless you haven't spent crap on your amp or sub, you've wasted your money...The quality really won't be great, and the only problem with running these wires off a speaker is that your going to pull your W out of one of your speakers...Correct me if I'm wrong, but your splitting the wattage automatically when you splice in and run it into your rca swithover...so you've got one speaker with a dropped wattage, so I personally think you need to split both and run both into the RCA conversion...But I would splice in behind the deck. I did mine almost a year ago, but I'm almost positive it's the yello wire running into the harness...Pull the dash, and test the wire, if it is...then your problem is solved...It'll take no more than 20-30 mins at the very most to pull the dash, test the wire, splice it, and run it back...Providing you understand what your doing entirely before you start doing it...
How have I wasted my money?...if I dont like the sound of it I will put in an aftermarket deck, so now im one step ahead and have full amp wiring and sub/amp combo....i am fully aware that its not going to be as good of quality as a full set up but like I said before i want to keep my stock deck for the changer.

what would be the difference where i tap the speakers?....and isnt the speaker wire in the din cable from deck to amp?...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
you can't run both speaker level wires together because it will short the radio.
thank god i didnt try...lol
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

line level signals are in the din cable. the amp turn on wire (REM) should be in the harness under the seat. I don't recall the power wires being in the DIN cable at all, but like I said it's been awhile. I would still use the LOC on the deck speakers though he does have a point about the power going to that speaker. I am sure they have designed the LOC with this in mind, but depending upon the resistance and how the wires are connected to it you could over or under power that particular channel. I would not worry about it though, it's designed to go on a speaker level line.

I didn't mean the radio would be ruined they usually have power protection and it probably would have just shut off had you tried to connect the two speaker wires together.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

awesome!...so the rem should be accessible under the seat to tap into...

im assuming the LOC is pretty strait forward eh...tap in the wires,solder them up and tape em and away i go eh!.....im pumped for the install!

Thanks Dan!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

good luck, be careful.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry Dan but this is one of the very rare times you are wrong. The amp on/off signal is not in the harness, it's in the din cable. Remember that the soundgate plug comes with it attached to the din portion. Now I think i moght have a solution for you but give me a couple of minutes and I'll get back to you.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Ok i think i have it. You are going to need the 2 soundgate adapters. One is for HU replacement and the other is for Stock amp replacement. The links where you can find them are in the sticky in this section. you are gonna connect the HU replacement plug into the stock amp and the stock amp replacement plug into the stock HU. Now you will need some extra RCA and some extra cable to connect them. I recommend you try to follow the din cable. Now you will have the stock HU and the stock amp connected and the rem cable will be available to you. If anything here doesn't make sense contact me, its clearer in my head

I know this require extra money but its the best possible way i can think off to do what you want short of splicing the factory din cable trying to find the rem cable.

Good luck

Last edited by matute; Feb 6, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

good show. that's what he needs to do without buying more expensive electronics. adapters aren't cheap, but they sure as hell beat paying for a HU. anything that gets rid of the LOC is a positive thing as well.

you are right, the REM is in the DIN. I had forgotten the soundgate adapters have it built in. The power wires are in the harness though, that much I remember for sure. I never had to find the remote wire because I never used the stock HU and AMP