Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Best Vented Hood?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just drive without the hood
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4g94T
just drive without the hood
Oh that wont attract any attention from Cali cops
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:07 AM

So how do the vents work on the aftermarket hoods? I mean if it rains will water go into the engine bay? The VIS one looks like it would do the best job of letting heat out but I don't completely understand how it is setup...are they just holes in the hood?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yes wholes cut out pretty much... There's a little cover I screw in there when it rains...
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure if this shows it so well...
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cRc`22
there was a page on this in some car magazine i read and on the GTR it gave 30hp with the hood being open so they decided to try S13 with switching hoods and it gave 18 hp from switching to a vented hood.. they couldnt try with the GTR cause i guess their wasnt a better vented hood out yet..
Ok, I'm officially going to unsubscribe from this thread

seriously, are we trying to compare a GTR and an 03 lancer?
Here is that comparison.. http://www.cars.com/go/compare/model...yids=9901,4498

Like I said before, there is no performance gain, it will only make the car look better and judging from the OP's question, he was looking to release the heat. Yes it will release heat, but it isn't going to get hot enough that it is going to make any difference..

Last edited by wickdaddy; Sep 29, 2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
^Vented hoods do not universally make power, it depends a lot on the design of the hood and the design of the car as you need correct pressure zones for it to work at all. It's like hood scoops, not all hood scoops are made equal, it's entirely possible for air to be pushed out of the scoop rather than in. On a lancer it's an aesthetic choice only.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

the only time i have the vents open is when i autox. i can ususlly see the heat being released. that would be the only time i could see any benefit to having them open.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From having a turboed Lancer I can say heat is an issue. On a hot day sitting in traffic for periods of time I can tell you first hand that the temperature needle WILL move, and more than just a little.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

If you gain 13 hp from no hood i'm sure you lose more with your aerodynamic insufficiencies lol
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:41 PM

Well I'm asking about the hood because I drive my car for my job, and I drive alot. So it does get really hot under the hood and I know the stock hood doesn't release it very well because the top of the hood stays totally cool. Also I have a K&N intake which sits right in the engine bay so it's sucking in hot air. So I think the vented hood would release some heat (which is never a bad thing) and would allow the intake to suck in cooler air (also never a bad thing).
As far as what somone said about If it needed it then mitsubishi would have gave it a stock vented hood that is pretty ridiculous. I mean most car companies build their cars as cheaply as possible. Which is why the aftermarket exists, right?
comment, hate, advise please, thanks
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:57 PM
hcj
Evolving Member

hood
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

^ too bad that one is ugly as sin and made by a no-name manufacturer.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a way to make our hood not let in so much rain, yet vent?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeorphan
Well I'm asking about the hood because I drive my car for my job, and I drive alot. So it does get really hot under the hood and I know the stock hood doesn't release it very well because the top of the hood stays totally cool. Also I have a K&N intake which sits right in the engine bay so it's sucking in hot air. So I think the vented hood would release some heat (which is never a bad thing) and would allow the intake to suck in cooler air (also never a bad thing).
As far as what somone said about If it needed it then mitsubishi would have gave it a stock vented hood that is pretty ridiculous. I mean most car companies build their cars as cheaply as possible. Which is why the aftermarket exists, right?
comment, hate, advise please, thanks
The aftermarket also builds things as cheaply as possible. It's rare to find parts that are actually tested and tuned, especially aero parts. As I said before, there's no evidence that a vented hood reduces underhood temperatures.

Quick Reply: Best Vented Hood?