Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

My 2003 Lancer ES - Mods, Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2003 Lancer ES - Mods, Opinions Please!

Hey guys, I'm new-ish to the forums, I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES That I have never gotten to posting here on the show and shine section of the forum... So well, here it is!

The car has a mild list of modifications:

-15% Tint
- Pancake Spoiler (What I like to call it )
- 550gm Driftz Wheels
- Lowered on Tein Springs
- Ralliart Headers
- High-Flow Cat
- SRS Catback Exhaust (Yes, the Ebay one. I was skeptical about it at first until I read the reviews. It's exceptionally well made and has a deeper / louder sound than other exhausts I've heard on a few other lancers in my area with Greddy TI-C and a few others)
- 8,000k HIDS
- Blacked Out Grill
- Trunk relocated battery
- AEM BPV (Not Shown)
- Home made ram air / ca intake (Located where the front lower mesh thing was)
- A lot of additional brackets, welding and everything else. All done by myself as well as other knowledgeable fabricators around me.

That's really all I can think of going off the top of my head, as I remember / add to the car I'll post additional information.

Near - Future modifications

- New camshaft
- RRE Piggyback unit (Still looking into it, not sure about the gains yet)
- Wheel spacers for a flush stance

So yeah, let me know what you guys think! Comments / suggestions appreciated!

Old May 2, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I like it, and I like pie too. Headers are sweeeeet. Only one thing I have to say is that you picked the wrong kind of intake for where you live. Washington state has some of the worst rainstorms year round and unless you don't drive it in the rain then you have to be careful not to hydro lock your engine. Looking at where your cone filter is located, that's gonna be very hard to do. I'd recommend switching to a SRI. Trust me, there won't be much of a difference.
Old May 2, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by OnCloudIX
I like it, and I like pie too. Headers are sweeeeet. Only one thing I have to say is that you picked the wrong kind of intake for where you live. Washington state has some of the worst rainstorms year round and unless you don't drive it in the rain then you have to be careful not to hydro lock your engine. Looking at where your cone filter is located, that's gonna be very hard to do. I'd recommend switching to a SRI. Trust me, there won't be much of a difference.

I've got an aem bpv just for that reason, it's just not shown in the pics.

I had short ram initially, and then I decided to try relocating my filter.
I don't have any sheets to prove anything, but I can feel a difference when pulling at freeway speeds compared to my previous sri
Old May 2, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Braydo25
I've got an aem bpv just for that reason, it's just not shown in the pics.

I had short ram initially, and then I decided to try relocating my filter.
I don't have any sheets to prove anything, but I can feel a difference when pulling at freeway speeds compared to my previous sri
Ah I see. I hope the bpv is really effective then . To me it just looks like a foam disk. Not sure how it works but I guess it must if you are using it. I think the most noticeable mod you can get would be a piggyback or a reflash, so you should be looking forward to that. Have you considered going turbo?
Old May 2, 2010, 05:55 PM

It's been a few days with heavy storms here in WA, no bogging / signs of hydrolock yet. So I think it's doing it's job.

I have considered going turbo.. but it's so damn expensive!!

I have a couple friends with extensive fabricating experience that could probably make my turbo manifold and other necessary components I'll need if I do decide to go turbo, but if I get to that point before I end up selling my car (I plan to in a few months, for an evo.) I will just do a complete overhaul on the motor and build it for reliable (hopefully) boost.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm looking forward to my piggyback unit =)

Last edited by Braydo25; May 2, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

If you're planning on getting rid of your Lancer soon, then I wouldn't advise you to spend anymore money on mods for your car in the future. I brought up turbocharging because I thought you were planning on keeping your car for a long time, and if so, turbocharging is the way to go, especially for the 4G94 Lancers. In other words, you would spend more money to get your car quick NA than getting your car fast by turboing it. However, if you are going to sell your car in the near future, I would hold of on that piggyback unit and just save money for that Evo you said you may get.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:09 PM

If you're planning on getting rid of your Lancer soon, then I wouldn't advise you to spend anymore money on mods for your car in the future. I brought up turbocharging because I thought you were planning on keeping your car for a long time, and if so, turbocharging is the way to go, especially for the 4G94 Lancers. In other words, you would spend more money to get your car quick NA than getting your car fast by turboing it. However, if you are going to sell your car in the near future, I would hold of on that piggyback unit and just save money for that Evo you said you may get.
The evo is sort of based on if I find someone interested in buying my car. Because the sale of my car would be the down payment + more towards the evo.. but that would be once I find a steady job as I am currently a college student right now
Old May 2, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds good. Just make your goals clear to yourself now and you will save loads of cash in the end. In this economy that's whats most important.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:16 PM

Sounds good. Just make your goals clear to yourself now and you will save loads of cash in the end. In this economy that's whats most important.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind lol
Old May 2, 2010, 07:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dem headers are purdy.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Dem headers are purdy.
Thank you thank you
Old May 2, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Good lookin Lancer. I love that color. Which Tein springs do you have? How many miles have they been on your car? And does is still ride decent with them on? Sorry for all of the questions but I just ordered my Tein S techs lol.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:48 PM

this recent weather is really killin me man, ruining any hope of waxing my car
Old May 2, 2010, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

pretty sick. i dont see alot of lancers in the NARES blue like ours. check out my show and shine thread i think youll like it. sick ride tho.
Old May 3, 2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by davidmitsusrock
Good lookin Lancer. I love that color. Which Tein springs do you have? How many miles have they been on your car? And does is still ride decent with them on? Sorry for all of the questions but I just ordered my Tein S techs lol.
Yep they're S Techs, They've been cut just a tad for additional drop though, they've been on the car for over 15,000 miles and still ride nicely.

pretty sick. i dont see alot of lancers in the NARES blue like ours. check out my show and shine thread i think youll like it. sick ride tho.
Just checked it out, looks F***ING SICK with the rear roof spoiler! Who makes those anyways?

Quick Reply: My 2003 Lancer ES - Mods, Opinions Please!