Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

cross drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh and they are a few pounds less not ounces ,and the resaon i thought because the rotor spins with the tire so less weight on the wheel is less energy needed to turn the wheel so putting more energy on the road
Old Jul 4, 2007, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just do it and prove them all wrong. Weigh the stock one, and then your new c.d. & slotted rotors and prove the weight savings is worth it! Along with DAve Mac said, you don't really "need" them, but hell...they sure look good. And if you can get them for cheap (I believe got got mine originally for $110 shipped back in '04), why not?

BTW, countersunk is after the hole is drilled, they take a little material (kinda looking like this \__/ ) off the edges of the hole. Hope you understand...it's a good thing!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Countersinking acts to get rid of the edge that eats pads and destroys the rotors. I would be very skeptical that the weight savings will be anything over a lb a rotor and even that's pushing it. We're not talking about taking a 13 inch solid rotor and swapping it for a 13 inch drilled and slotted rotor, we have tiny rotors and thus less material can be taken off reducing the weight savings. It's also a lancer, if you want to improve acceleration start with modding the engine.

Last edited by ambystom01; Jul 4, 2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The weight difference is marginal considering the size of the rotors on a lancer. Cross drilled are also not recommended for our cars, the small rotor size makes them prone to cracking during hard braking. Just get slotted and call it a day.
+1. you start losing a lot of structural integrity when they have holes in them. usually tell people they work better as an eye candy piece than an every day or track driven rotor. you can achieve the same if not better with a slotted and have a lot more piece of mind.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
? No, they're brakes not freakin nitrous. You won't notice an increase in acceleration when the difference is a few ounces, hell do you notice a difference if you drive after taking a dump?
^ +1
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

okay i found out the drilled ones weight 10.4 lbs and oem ones weight 12 lbs , so thats about 1 1/2 lbs less weight on the wheels
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

You've also had numerous people (including one that does this stuff for a living) tell you they're a bad idea. You're not going to notice a lb off the wheels, especially when you have big wheels not tiny, lightweight ones (judging by your avatar).
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CityKnight
^ +1
hahaha, i was just asking , i know lot about cars , me and my friends are always swapping engine's on honda's, the only reason i asked this question was to make sure because weight on the wheels makes waaaaay more of a diff than weight on the actual car , so keep your comments to your self
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

You've also had numerous people (including one that does this stuff for a living) tell you they're a bad idea. You're not going to notice a lb off the wheels, especially when you have big wheels not tiny, lightweight ones (judging by your avatar).
but when i run my car at the track i have a set of steelies that i use, i was even considering getting some civic vx rims that only weigh 17 lbs with tires for the track
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

This is a public forum, if you don't like the responses/comments, don't ask questions. If you know so much about cars you should know that 1 lb isn't a massive deal especially when you've already added huge wheels to a low-powered car, it'd be like going crazy on weight reduction when you have a massive stereo system in the car.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea you should def get cross drilled.!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

If you plan on tracking the car, DON"T GET CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS!!! Neal from Tirerack has said this, Rob from RRM has said this and many other people have said this because they have a tendency to crack especially on a rotor like the lancer has, ie. small. It can't dissipate the heat well so the stress on the rotors is high leading to cracking. Even evo guys don't run cross-drilled rotors (at least those that race seriously) as they can crack them in one event. Yes they have stronger brakes, but they also have massive rotors compared to ours.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

If you plan on tracking the car, DON"T GET CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS!!! Neal from Tirerack has said this, Rob from RRM has said this and many other people have said this because they have a tendency to crack especially on a rotor like the lancer has, ie. small. It can't dissipate the heat well so the stress on the rotors is high leading to cracking. Even evo guys don't run cross-drilled rotors (at least those that race seriously) as they can crack them in one event. Yes they have stronger brakes, but they also have massive rotors compared to ours.
okay thanks ill prob just go with oem , because im always braking hard because of people always getting in my way
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Slotted is fine, if you want something that brakes a bit better and looks tons better go slotted.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

This is a public forum, if you don't like the responses/comments, don't ask questions. If you know so much about cars you should know that 1 lb isn't a massive deal especially when you've already added huge wheels to a low-powered car, it'd be like going crazy on weight reduction when you have a massive stereo system in the car.
i have no car audio im car , only jvc stereo that came with it , but the rims are only for city driving not track racing , i try and keep my car as light as possible not even tools or anything in my trunk , only thing in it is the spare that is taken out at the track

Quick Reply: cross drilled rotors