Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

squeeking Brakes US LANCER

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm at 20k mi on my stock pads...damn things won't die
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by b_tapper
I'm at 20k mi on my stock pads...damn things won't die
Thye should be good for about another 10k at least depending how often you rally it.... I like that active side of you b, you actually don't just talk but DO things with your car. PROPS!
Old Jul 29, 2002, 04:54 AM

hi everyone im new to this board but i have that problem too im at 9000 miles and it started at about 8500 but the squeaking is all the time and usually faint
Old Jul 29, 2002, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

You should probably take the wheel off and clean off any break dust that you see anywhere. Brake clean works wonders. Pop off the caliper and look and the pads, thats the only way your gonna know if there are shot or not. If they are good, pick up some disk bake quite and apply it to the proper side of the pads. That should work to quite them down, of course if they a bad, replace them with a good set. Have fun
Old Jul 29, 2002, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

i dont think cleaning would quiet any squeaks.... because the lancer has this piece of metal on the pads... i think they are called "sensors" or some thing... but anyways... when your brakes reach a certain size... the metal starts scrapping on the rotors causing the squeaking noise... but if your replacing the pads... becare ful with those pieces of metal... they seemed like it would break easily... but... the rrm porterfield pads works wonders... way better then stock but the brake dust seems to about the same as stock... which kind of sucks
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I know cleaning helps on other vehicles (haven't had to do it to my lancer) but i doubt it is any different. Your right about the metal peice, it is there to let you know that your pads are wearing, by squeling. It can get very annoying. It also depends on the brake pads compounds.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

you dont understand how annoying it is until it happens to u.....
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

I am going to refer to my old car again, have done it many times in other threads.... Squealing breaks are annoying, i am sorry to say i know from exp. Until i changed the rotors, in/out wheel bearings and pads, you could hear that horrible squeal from a mile away (not literally, but it was bad). I am glad i haven't had to deal with it with my Lancer yet
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

this post is from april why is it alive again? this has been happening alot lately!
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

any squeaking you have to worry about is when your not braking then your pads are wearing they have sensors in the they tell when they are low and they squeel but ony when not apligin the brake when you push the brake it should stop

when you press the brake and it doese squeel it is nothing it the pads they use they are semi metalic brake pads and the dust just squeeks from them
make sure when you wash your car you get in there with the hose or whatever it is your spraying your car with and clean it good
Old Jul 29, 2002, 04:38 PM

my OZ is around 5,500 mi and the squeaks are beginning to make me mad. i had painted my calipers in the front and thought it might have been the resone. but now that i have seen all of you sayin it i think it is just the car, not form me improperly reassembling the brakes after painting them. the dust also ticks me off
when i repalce my pads i was thinking of using pads called Green Stuff,
has any one used or know any thing about them, and their price.
and the price of the those RMR pads thanks
Old Oct 19, 2002, 09:41 AM

I have 13000 miles on my lancer and the brakes started squeaking really bad so I went to my local brake shop to
have them checked. My brake pads are pretty much gone
and my rotors have hot spots so I have to get them replaced.
They quoted me around $300.00 Hella sucks. I'm gonna go to
the dealer tomorrow to see if my rotors might be covered under my warranty but I doubt it. My car is also a manual so I usually try to break using my transmission. No way should I need no rotors that quick. I don't even drive my car that hard.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, rotors are dealer's only item. Expect 100 bucks for just one. Since the OZ are slightly bigger than my LS, it should be a bit more. Don't worry, the ES should have the same size as mine.

Last edited by bahamut; Oct 19, 2002 at 10:07 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

im at 16,000 miles and my brakes started squeaking at 15,000 miles . . . got them checked and the pads were almost done . . . so i got them changed. no more squeaking.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by uranium9v
Notice the LARGE amount of brake dust on your front wheels? I've never seen brakes burn that fast.
I havent seen that..maybe it is because i wash my car twice a week...hey i live in IL. The only place where the COT doesnt know a thing..using salt...how barbaric

Quick Reply: squeeking Brakes US LANCER