Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

2008 Lancer LSD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Expect an LSD shortly from us. We are planning to do that on our turbo 2.4 liter GTS. Meantime we just have to wait for the right time. Finish turbo first. LSD will be a serioud must for anyone looking for low 1/4 mile ETs . Turbo guys can expect to spin tires well into 2nd gear without one and prolly into 3rd.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROCK
Expect an LSD shortly from us. We are planning to do that on our turbo 2.4 liter GTS. Meantime we just have to wait for the right time. Finish turbo first. LSD will be a serioud must for anyone looking for low 1/4 mile ETs . Turbo guys can expect to spin tires well into 2nd gear without one and prolly into 3rd.

ROAD/RACE
You guys are awsome citizens lol
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ROCK

ROAD/RACE
So since we're all confused, will the RRM LSD be compatible with MT, CVT, or both?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

my guess would be that they are making it for the MT…
every time i go on a car site and select the ‘build your own’ option… the LSD (if offered) is only available with MT transmissions…
soooo

but, as long as it is compatible with my 08 MT DE, i’ll be a happy camper.
(oh and affordable would be nice too…hahaha)
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:33 AM

i remember reading some where that the lancers use the scoin tc manual trans and u can use the trd lsd in it
hears the artical (well a piece of it)

GT Channel: You built a Lancer for Gymkhana USA. Tell us about it.
Mitsubishi: I decided to work with the base model of the vehicle to show that the entire Lancer line up is performance capable. Furthermore, the Lancer De (base mode) is lighter than the other trim levels, so that was a benefit we kept in mind as well. Then I engaged Road Race engineering to help me develop as many new parts as possible. I found that the transmission was sourced from the OEM as a scion TC; so a LSD was sourced from Quaiffe, and bearings were ordered from Toyota parts department-- this was the first modification we went for but it is being complete as we speak post round 1 of gymkhana.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would really like to see some type of LSD for the CVT, especially with the performance RRM is promising with this kit. It would be shame to bolt this kit up and constantly spin the tires in the CVT or not have the same grip and control a MT would have.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
It would be shame to bolt this kit up and constantly spin the tires in the CVT or not have the same grip and control a MT would have.
Be prepared to live in shame, then.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
Be prepared to live in shame, then.
why??? If they have LSDs for traditional automatics, as long as the CVT has an open differential, I dont see why someone couldnt make an LSD that would work for a CVT, but who knows???
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:15 PM

I remember sheep saying lsd's for auto's are called torque converters. Is this correct?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ramauro
I remember sheep saying lsd's for auto's are called torque converters. Is this correct?
Correctamundo. But it's not an LSD in the traditional sense, so it doesn't have the same effect.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stunna8c8
i remember reading some where that the lancers use the scoin tc manual trans and u can use the trd lsd in it
hears the artical (well a piece of it)

GT Channel: You built a Lancer for Gymkhana USA. Tell us about it.
Mitsubishi: I decided to work with the base model of the vehicle to show that the entire Lancer line up is performance capable. Furthermore, the Lancer De (base mode) is lighter than the other trim levels, so that was a benefit we kept in mind as well. Then I engaged Road Race engineering to help me develop as many new parts as possible. I found that the transmission was sourced from the OEM as a scion TC; so a LSD was sourced from Quaiffe, and bearings were ordered from Toyota parts department-- this was the first modification we went for but it is being complete as we speak post round 1 of gymkhana.
hmmm…if like some hard evidence of this…and some pricing. lol
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
I would really like to see some type of LSD for the CVT, especially with the performance RRM is promising with this kit. It would be shame to bolt this kit up and constantly spin the tires in the CVT or not have the same grip and control a MT would have.
You should not have bought the CVT then. Most companies do not bother making non-MT LSDs. RRM's 02-06 LSD is manual only. Do you really think they're going to make a CVT LSD, especially given the complicated nature of it?

Originally Posted by angryGTS
why??? If they have LSDs for traditional automatics, as long as the CVT has an open differential, I dont see why someone couldnt make an LSD that would work for a CVT, but who knows???
Can we even install it? The CVT is a non-serviceable transmission. Who knows if it's even possible to crack the housing open without screwing everything up?

Originally Posted by ramauro
Not quite what I said. TC is different from LSD - they perform different tasks. It was an example I was trying to make, but it ended up making no sense.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
You should not have bought the CVT then. Most companies do not bother making non-MT LSDs. RRM's 02-06 LSD is manual only. Do you really think they're going to make a CVT LSD, especially given the complicated nature of it?

Can we even install it? The CVT is a non-serviceable transmission. Who knows if it's even possible to crack the housing open without screwing everything up?

Not quite what I said. TC is different from LSD - they perform different tasks. It was an example I was trying to make, but it ended up making no sense.
In my defense I didn't really take this little tid bit into consideration, nor did I know that are transmissions are non-servicable (I learned something). I totally didn't think that MFG even put throw away trannies in cars, lol. Oh well.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

i just looked up the MT TRD TC LSD…$1300…

that’s a little steep imo...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:15 PM

A torque converter is not an LSD. The torque converter takes the place of the clutch on an auto. And an auto transmission will never have an LSD nor will a manual transmission. They do not have a differential in them. Now an auto tansaxle or a manual transaxle can both have a lsd.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lancer LSD