Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Down Size GTS Wheel/Tire size

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down Size GTS Wheel/Tire size

I'm considering down sizing my 18" 09 GTS wheels to a 17 x 8 (or 8.5).
Mainly for weight savings, plus the cost of 17" tires are a little cheaper than 18's.
I'm interested in total diameter as well. Downsizing to a 225/ 45/17.
This would help with final gearing and hopefully be a "free" power mod.
I'm a little worried that they'll look too small since the new Lancer body is so big.

Anyone done this? Pics? Thoughts?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I have a Lancer ES, I upgraded to 235/45/17. The total diameter is supposed to be very close to the original. 225/45/17 is a little smaller though and I wouldn't recommend it. Your speedometer would read faster than you're actually going.
Yes the car will accelerate a little bit faster because the smaller diameter will make the gearing shorter.
Do you have a manual transmission? If you do, then the engine RPM will be even higher when cruising in the highway. I hate cruising at 3.5K RPM at 70 mph and I wish I would have increased the overall diameter of the tires.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

i've down sized

17x8
235/45/17
@60mph my speedo is reading 60.5
@70mph my speedo is reading around 71.5

so not off by much

but YES light weight rims made a huge difference matched w/ some nice summer tires

i got OZ ultraleggeras 17x8 weighs around 17lbs (on their site)
and the tires weighed 22lbs

acceleration, changing direction and braking defiantly better

proved it on the track too, i beat some of the guys who had more power modifications than i did, and i was only .2 seconds slower than a 2.4L 5sp (im 2.0L 5sp) in a 1/4mile and he had more modifications than i did as well, i just had the lightest rims and wides tires
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:01 PM

Very nice absolute. I will consider 235/45/17's also. I was considering tire weight too. I was hoping to be around 19-22lbs on tires and no more than 18lbs on wheels.

I know my speedo will be a little off. But I'm not really worried about that.
I know my odometer will reflect slightly higher mileage as well, but I don't drive a lot (maybe 6,000 miles a year), so that doesn't matter much too me.

For a 2.4L, it doesn't seem to have as much low end grunt as I thought it would, that would be one of the reasons for final gearing change... mine's a CVT (sorry, shoulda stated that before). I think the CVT ratios will make up for the RPM in auto mode while cruising. I do prefer to stay in higher rpm but mainly when I'm putzin around with the paddle shifters.

You guys have any pics??
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

thanks! glad it was helpful

my pictures are in the official tarmac black under the 08 show and shine, the first post is my car actually

and yea the CVTs are a bit more sluggish compared to the manual transmissions. we did some runs just this past friday @ a drag strip, we had CVTs, manuals, and automatics

cvt was the slowest, but mind you cvt wasnt built to appeal to the performance side of the car, its more comfort, because the main objective of the cvt is silky smooth gear changes, for ride comfort.

having said that u can put it in a lower gear manually w/ the paddles while ur cruising around town to increase ur rpms, 3000 should be good to sit @ if u want more power...this will also consume a bit more fuel (duh =P higher rpm faster engine speed = more fuel )
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by absolute
having said that u can put it in a lower gear manually w/ the paddles while ur cruising around town to increase ur rpms, 3000 should be good to sit @ if u want more power...this will also consume a bit more fuel (duh =P higher rpm faster engine speed = more fuel )
That's exactly what I do when I'm burning around town...
And for just cruising:highway/traffic I leave it in auto mode.
I'm aware that the CVT is a little slower off the line due to some drive train power loss + inherent design, but .I'm not much for dragging. I'm considering if this car is auto-x worthy, but even in auto-x you gotta be able to launch. Most of the course designs are set up to keep the playing field even, so there's usually no straight line starts, but launching properly is still important...trying to turn those big, heavy, assed wheels is tough on this car.

I got the CVT to appease my wife and still satisfy my shifting needs. The CVT in "manual" mode "shifts" faster than I could ever burn through gears with a manual trans. This is my first "automatic" car in 15 years (and this is my 18th car). I've been having fun a lot of fun with the paddle shifters.

I prefer to do my mods according to price and gains per mod. So I figured downsizing + lightweight wheels/tires could offer a plethora of benefits with this car.
I'm glad to hear it does help a lot, so unless I can find some cheap, super light 18's...I'm downsizing.