Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Eibach Sportline Springs.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have sportlines and when I aligned it the camber wasn't out that bad
I installed them the week after I bought the car and have over 6000 miles on it
and the tires arent showing any wear yet
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:47 PM

Eibach Pro-kits

I installed the Eibach Pro-Kit(no alignment bolt kit) about 5,000 miles ago and I guess I did something wrong because where the strut bolt pokes out of the circle at the strut tower brace, the hole that the strut goes through has been getting bigger and bigger, creating lots of noise. Not to mention the rubber that sits on the bottom of the springs has shifted and helped make more noise. I'm sure this has something to do with the way I installed them, which was at an Autocraft center on Fort Carson where you can bring your car in and work on it yourself. There are a handful of very helpful technicians, one who pretty much did half the work for me as I knew next to nothing on how to install them. As soon as I left the shop I noticed the noise, but had no idea why they were making the noise. During installation everything was pretty straightforward, and I don't remember having any issues whatsoever. After installation I took it to Midas for an alignment where they said I would have about .01 difference in toe or camber(can't remember) on one side that they said was not adjustable.
So after all this, I took the car today to get it checked out(at the dealership I bought it from) and they are saying I need new struts and hardware for the hole that is getting larger. I would post pictures but it is snowing outside and I'm tired. I guess what I'm asking is, what do you guys recommend I do? My idea is to take my entire Saturday putting the originals back on, taking it to Mitsubishi and seeing if they can fix it all under warranty. Is this worth the time or is there a simpler solution that I overlooked? I saw on tirerack.com KYB GR-2 struts and shocks that I can afford, and I saw previous coilover suggestions, however coilovers are a little out of my price range, and I've been told time and time again coilovers are mainly for racing/track and not for daily driving. Any helpful information and/or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:15 PM

the dealer wont waranty any aftermarket mods!
the best thing to do is take it to a shop that is familiar w/aftermarket mods and see if they can fix what is not right
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:35 AM

Well I know they won't fix it with aftermarket mods, but I feel like I'm really doing a number on my struts and everything else. I'm tired of all the noise and the holes getting bigger. I just really want a solution
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skooma
I installed the Eibach Pro-Kit(no alignment bolt kit) about 5,000 miles ago and I guess I did something wrong because where the strut bolt pokes out of the circle at the strut tower brace, the hole that the strut goes through has been getting bigger and bigger, creating lots of noise. Not to mention the rubber that sits on the bottom of the springs has shifted and helped make more noise. I'm sure this has something to do with the way I installed them, which was at an Autocraft center on Fort Carson where you can bring your car in and work on it yourself. There are a handful of very helpful technicians, one who pretty much did half the work for me as I knew next to nothing on how to install them. As soon as I left the shop I noticed the noise, but had no idea why they were making the noise. During installation everything was pretty straightforward, and I don't remember having any issues whatsoever. After installation I took it to Midas for an alignment where they said I would have about .01 difference in toe or camber(can't remember) on one side that they said was not adjustable.
So after all this, I took the car today to get it checked out(at the dealership I bought it from) and they are saying I need new struts and hardware for the hole that is getting larger. I would post pictures but it is snowing outside and I'm tired. I guess what I'm asking is, what do you guys recommend I do? My idea is to take my entire Saturday putting the originals back on, taking it to Mitsubishi and seeing if they can fix it all under warranty. Is this worth the time or is there a simpler solution that I overlooked? I saw on tirerack.com KYB GR-2 struts and shocks that I can afford, and I saw previous coilover suggestions, however coilovers are a little out of my price range, and I've been told time and time again coilovers are mainly for racing/track and not for daily driving. Any helpful information and/or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
I hate to say it, but I would recommend that you avoid making the same mistake twice. Yes KYB GR-2 Struts offer improved dampening. but you will likely have the dampers degrade quickly and fail. Remember KYB designed and manufactured these coilovers for Mitsubishi so your still swimming in the same dirty pond if your considering lowering the car. That said, if theya re eibach's they are not as hard on the strut as Teins or H&Rs but your still going to end up back at square one.

Still the Springs and opt for a coilover option. There are just so many options open toyou. You can run year round and adjust your ride height. I recommend HSD coilovers due to their durability and threshold for abuse. They just dont fail. Yes it costs a little more than the rest of the pack of entry or mid range coilovers. But its better to buy a coilover that isnt likely the fail in the first place and has a track record based on real world feedback. Google search the brand and you will see what I mean.

In regards to coils being just for the track. Not really. Some coils are streetable in terms of comfort. And one thing that you should know is, part of the harshness of the road are not only from the suspension but also your tires. If you have the GTS, then you have the Dunlop SP5000M tire, which by design is not very good at comfort. Its a very heavy tire due to materials and design. I think almost 26 pounds, in comparison, General Exclaim tires are 21 pounds and offer slightly better ride comfort. But there are endless amounts of tire options. I highly recommend looking into the Conti DWS tire if you wish to have a softer ride it soaks up bumps on the road very well.

Getting back to the coilovers.

Most coilovers have the ability to adjust the dampening characteristics, but the other side of the equation is the Spring Rate of the Spring. If the idea of spring rates are fuzzy do a google search. This forum posts does a good job of helping you grap basic logic http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ring-rate.html

Spring rates are important. Too high and you will suffer 1000 deaths if you attempt to use them for daily driving. The key is to find the right balance between track and streetability without going to far to the extremes.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:05 PM

lol dang it's going to cost me 500 dollars to get my springs, installed, and aligned? shoot I might as well buy coils and have it sit in the garage
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:24 AM

@evo_soul If I could afford coilovers right now, I would haha. Unfortunately I opted for the quick fix, went to Midas where they told me I needed front strut mounts which apparently did not come with the Eibach Pro-Kit or somehow I lost them? Anyhow I ordered 2 front strut mount kits from RockAuto.com and when they get here I'll put them on somehow. Hopefully this will stop the struts from moving around.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trinidudenator
Here is my lancer on eibach sportlines....rim specs are 18 x 8 + 35
they are pretty good springs as in ride quality and a good drop for looks...but for the real deal get some coilovers ! i just recently ordered megans but there on a 2 week backorder
Do you rub at all with that set up? I'm looking to get some sportlines as well.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by trinidudenator
Here is my lancer on eibach sportlines....rim specs are 18 x 8 + 35
they are pretty good springs as in ride quality and a good drop for looks..
Sorry to bring back a dead thread but anyone else have this setup? I would love to see more pic's! I have the same spec rim's and just ordered the springs and would love to hear more opinion's on the setup, if it rub's, and see more pic's!!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by tazz33
Sorry to bring back a dead thread but anyone else have this setup? I would love to see more pic's! I have the same spec rim's and just ordered the springs and would love to hear more opinion's on the setup, if it rub's, and see more pic's!!!!!
I Don't Have that exact setup, BUT I do have just springs I went with TEIN and KYB Struts your stock struts will only hold up for so long maybe 10-20k if your lucky maybe longer if you take it really easy. I got 2inch drop in front and 1.8 in rear no rubbing issues though. Im about to go D2 Coilovers though i want more lowwww.
Older picture without rims i now have 17's but still no rubbing

Name:  IMG_20120817_184801_zpsxdonpehd.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  334.5 KB
Old May 13, 2015, 06:39 PM

Here's mine after the springs! Love them and will try to get some more pics soon!!!