Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Tire edge wear from a crazy skid at 70 mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire edge wear from a crazy skid at 70 mph

Hi

I was driving North on I-5 in Oregon (near Salem) on Saturday. Was going to silver falls with some friends. There were 7 of us driving down there in two Lancers (ES). My friends driving the other Lancer was going really slow and I was getting board and I decided to pull a stunt on him (this was without doubt the stupidest decision I have ever made in my life). He was in the left lane and I pulled up on his right and was going swing the wheel toward his car to throw the weight on the front towards his car and than swing the other way to drift away from him. My idea was to scare him since my car would get close to his. I was trying to do a drift similar to what you would do on a 90 degree turn but I was going to keep my drift narrow so that I wouldn't be really turning much.

I come from a country which uses Km/h speed so I was sort of thinking that I'm going 70 Km/h instead of 70 mph. The drift became wider than I anticipated and my car was drifting off the road. I pulled it back on to the road but since my friend was close by I had to pull away again (to the right) to avoid hitting him. At this point my drifts were becoming so wide that my rear tire went off the road and my car turned 180 degrees so that I was facing the traffic behind me but my car was skidding backwards. I swung the wheel and accelerated to complete a 360 and get back on track. It worked (and I survived to tell the story!). Now what has happened is that my rear right wheel which drifted the most has worn out somewhat on the outer edge (the tires are pretty new). The wear is not normal. It is not very deep but there are little pieces missing. As if you wear violently using an eraser on paper and pieces started to come off. It is only on the edge and that part of the tire would normally have minimal or no contact with the road.

My question is how can I determine if the tire needs to be changed or not. I got my tires from Firestone and the tires are pretty good but I know if I take it there the guy will not miss a chance to make buy new tires even if I don't need them.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I'm not going to call you an idiot , because you already know it was dumb. Post a picture of the tire. Or take it to a local tire shop

Ps: you're an idiot
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replace the tires and be glad you're not dead.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

post pics of the tires so we can see the wear. then go take your car to a dealer, sell it, and buy a moped. you admitted that it was dumb, but i dont think you know how stupid that really was. that is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. at least when you wreck it its not an evo.

anyway, if there is any doubt about it, esp if chunks are missing, then replace them. the outside of your tire does come in contact with the road when cornering, and any missing chunks is unsafe. buy a new one and be thankful you didnt kill any innocent drivers
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tip3r
At this point my drifts were becoming so wide that my rear tire went off the road
I think you are taking a bit of liberty with your usage of "drift".
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

What you are describing is fishtailing my friend defintately not drifts. Anyhow chunks missing from any spot in a tires is bad news, just replace the tire.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
just replace the tire.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:56 PM

At this point my drifts were becoming so wide that my rear tire went off the road and my car turned 180 degrees so that I was facing the traffic behind me but my car was skidding backwards. I swung the wheel and accelerated to complete a 360 and get back on track. It worked (and I survived to tell the story!)
hopefully youve learned your lesson, with 7 people being in your group there is absolutly NO excuse to not at least have a phone video... some people just dont think.

keep ****in **** up[!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
I think you are taking a bit of liberty with your usage of "drift".
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:12 AM

I guess you're all right. I should just change the tire.

Originally Posted by ThatMileHighEvo
hopefully youve learned your lesson, with 7 people being in your group there is absolutly NO excuse to not at least have a phone video... some people just dont think.

keep ****in **** up[!
Someone in the other car took a picture! But the action had barely started.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:27 AM

Someone in the other car took a picture! But the action had barely started.
thats the b**** of it
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThatMileHighEvo
with 7 people being in your group there is absolutly NO excuse to not at least have a phone video... some people just dont think

So when you see a friend of yours almost kill him-self, the first thing you think is "oh gawd, I gotta get my camera out and get this on file"?
What the f kind of friend are you?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
lol wow this reminds me of when i first got my lancer es and my friend from the back seat thought it would be funny to pull the ebrake at 30mph down a narrow street. I managed to keep it going straight while fish tailing until my friend next to me got the e brake back down. (we beat our friend in the back until we calmed down from missing plenty of parked cars and on coming traffic)

I don't want to imagine what that was like at 70mph, post pics of tires i am curious what it looks like.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Lol in for pics

most will say replace it, but I've personally been to cheap to replace a tire and have driven a star spec with chunks missing on track and on the street until the tire was bald. (actually Its still on my street rims)

Last edited by Montu; Jul 27, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:00 AM

Listen I think it's BADAZZ! Good job pulling that car back man!

Maybe next time you think of trying it you should have a few s and see if you can pull it off!

Quick Reply: Tire edge wear from a crazy skid at 70 mph