Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

ABS disk brakes on Lancers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS disk brakes on Lancers?

OK guys,
I was recently told that the lower level Lancers dont come with ABS as a standard feature. First, is that true? Does that mean they dont have 4 wheel disk brakes? How hard would it be to convert to 4 wheel disks? ABS? Just curious. Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Its not standard but you can pay a little extra for it.

hit up www.mitsubishicars.com and build a lancer and see how much more it cost to add them. I know on my ES we didnt get them, parents also though they came standard but later to find out it cost more.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

It's only an option on the LS model. At least for the 2001-2003 Lancer it was. No other Lancer had that as an option. I've been curious about farming parts off an LS and putting them on my OZ, but then again, I don't really want ABS.

The LS has it as an option for the 2004+ Lancer and the Ralliart has it standard.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

so what about doing a 5 lug conversion. DO you have to do the ABS upgrade in order to do the 5 lug.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Why wouldnt u want ABS? i know what its good for, but i dont know how it can hurt you?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i prefer to play in icy parking lots w/out ABS myself

no fun doin 30-40mph than turn slightly right slam on the brakes, than turn left hard and pull the e-brake

lol but maybe thats just me.

and ive only had 2 times where i've slid when i didn't want to braking....both at the same spot...about a 20degree slope and it was icy...so i was already doin 5-10 mph when i started layin on the brake cuz i knew i'd slide...i even slid in my moms 2000 impala that has abs
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

why would you want ABS? To stop? what fun is that.....deal w/o ABS, have fun, and learn to drive. WOO
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

ya not having abs is fun, and im not saying i want it... im just saying that like ... when im going in the snow, i would prefer to have it, which i guess is like 4 times a year... and isnt too bad.

and then when it snows i just dont drive and get a ride form someone with a jeep,

but it is fun as hell going in the parking lots when it snows, i always do it... fun as hell doing mad donuts and slidding around.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by OZLancerlunitic
why would you want ABS? To stop? what fun is that.....deal w/o ABS, have fun, and learn to drive. WOO
My thoughts exactly. Even in snow, having snow tires and knowing how to fricken drive is enough. Unfortunately about 75% of people who live in my area DON'T have snows, and about 95% of people around here DON'T know how to drive.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

OK, now that we have established that some people like to think of there car as a roller coaster ride rather than a safe, reliable means of transportation, we can now find out if the Lancer has disks or drums in the rear? And guys, ABS makes you are stop faster! Thats why they make it, so you dont hit that guy in front of you stopping for no apparent reason on the freeway at 70 mph.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mitsumichael7
OK, now that we have established that some people like to think of there car as a roller coaster ride rather than a safe, reliable means of transportation, we can now find out if the Lancer has disks or drums in the rear? And guys, ABS makes you are stop faster! Thats why they make it, so you dont hit that guy in front of you stopping for no apparent reason on the freeway at 70 mph.
Well if you follow at a safe distance you'll be able to stop in time if you have ABS or not. Problem is no one follows at a safe distance. There used to be a time when ABS didn't exist, and I'm sure there were just as many fender benders back then as there are now. Plus, most people with ABS have never even used it or heard it engage, so when they are in that situation they freak out when the crunching sound starts.

The 2001-2003 Lancers have drums no matter what model you get. The 2004+ Ralliart is the only model to have rear disc.

^^^ This is excluding the Evolution, which always had and always will have rear disc.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:07 AM

ABS has nothing to do with stopping distances. In fact I'm pretty sure that they increase your stopping distances. Their purpose is to keep your brakes from locking up and stopping the wheels completely while the car is still moving. It does this by actually fluttering the the pads against the discs during heavy braking. If you know how to drive and realize that if you put the brake pedal to the floor your brakes are going to lock with out ABS, you are just as safe if not safer than those with ABS. I feel that non ABS is more reliable and less likly to break on me in the future. My old car had the ABS go out on it, and it was a ***** to stop. Besides I like knowing that I am controling my car, and not a computer.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by nds34d
ABS has nothing to do with stopping distances.
This theory may hold some water, but stopping distance is really determined by all the braking parts working together in harmony. But tires are pretty important in this equation because if the tires can't grip what your driving on, then you'll never be able to stop.

ABS is good for people who don't know how to drive, because when they panic and slam on the brakes it will prevent them from locking up and sliding into something or someone. I've learned from auto-x that if you lock up your going to go in a straight line until your wheels start rolling again, and you can stop a lot faster by not locking up.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I think its only on the LS. Also It Dosent Help Like You Think It Would. And Im Sure You Can Convet If You Have The Money.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have to convert to ABS in order to get rear disks on the lower Lancer?

Quick Reply: ABS disk brakes on Lancers?