Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

jumps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jumps

When I'm driving sometimes my car will seem to give just a little hiccup, or jump, maybe sorf of like it's changing gears or something... not really sure what the deal is. Has anybody felt this before, or have any idea what I'm talking about?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

it's spelled mojo, BTW
Old Feb 10, 2006, 08:43 PM

That way might be, but the way I spell it is not the same word... :-P

Was my nickname back years ago when I wrote for segadojo, if you really must know.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it while you shift because that is normal and you just need to better up ur driving skills.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:03 AM

Sorry I should have clarified... I have an automatic transmission. So no, it's not while I shift. I'll just be driving steady and it'll hiccup, so to speak...
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

what kind of lancer do you drive? evo, RA????
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mojoe
Sorry I should have clarified... I have an automatic transmission. So no, it's not while I shift. I'll just be driving steady and it'll hiccup, so to speak...
ok we need a better description than that. when it 'hiccups' do the RPM's raise? does it drop abruptly afterwards? do you feel a loss in power to the drivetrain? how many miles on the car? etc. it could be a bad torque convertor. but send us more details to work with and you'll get better responses
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by comatose721
ok we need a better description than that. when it 'hiccups' do the RPM's raise? does it drop abruptly afterwards? do you feel a loss in power to the drivetrain? how many miles on the car? etc. it could be a bad torque convertor. but send us more details to work with and you'll get better responses
+1 and dont forget to add any mods...
Old Feb 11, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by comatose721
Alright, I will pay real close attention to next time it happens exactly what happens and let you all know... sorry for not describing it very well the first time... lol.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

My car dones the same thing when the RPM's hit between 3000-4500 the car jumps I belive that's when the car is shifting, there is a small lost of power to the drivetrain with 42000 miles on the car I've had it for almost 2 years now No mod to engine as of yet or anything esle for that matter.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

check the sparkplug gaps, my car was doin it and really doin it off the line. my gaps were off a few mm, and lookin real crappy, eventually my car threw a code and i got rid of it, might wanna start there first
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mojoe
Alright, I will pay real close attention to next time it happens exactly what happens and let you all know... sorry for not describing it very well the first time... lol.
no apologies necessary just trying to make things easier on us both

Originally Posted by mrtrunks
My car dones the same thing when the RPM's hit between 3000-4500 the car jumps I belive that's when the car is shifting, there is a small lost of power to the drivetrain with 42000 miles on the car I've had it for almost 2 years now No mod to engine as of yet or anything esle for that matter.
do you drive with a heavy foot? if the car was previously owned it may not be used to your driving habits. EXAMPLE: Grandpa Joe may have owned the car off of the lot...now we all know that Grandpa Joe likes to take his time, accelerate slow, and enjoy the scenery....the car "learns" it's shift points according to the driver. in the case of Grandpa Joe the ECU would shift lower...therefore when you drive with more throttle, in between shifts the car will rev up and hit hard when it goes back into gear.

the important thing to look for is when it "jumps" (more commonly reffered to as "jerking"), as the car lurches back into gear does it remain in the same gear or shift to the next one?

examples:
1.) you are accelerating in 2nd gear when the car jerks. after this happens the RPM's drop because you ended up in 3rd gear?

2.) you are accelerating in 2nd gear when the car jerks. after this did the RPM's continue to rise because the car remained in 2nd gear?

if you are experiencing problem #1, try lightening up on the pedal to see if you are just driving harder than the ECU has learned. if this eliminates the problem --> toast to yourself. or the other option is reseting the ECU and letting the car relearn it's shift points to your driving style.

if you are experiencing problem #2, take a look at your transmission fluid. if it's time to change it, drain that sucker, put a new tranny filter in, and make sure you put the correct fluid type + capacity back in. if that doesn't fix the problem then look further into things. it may be a possibility that your torque convertor is on it's way out....if that ends up being the case, my knowledge stops there on automatic transmissions. i'm a 5spd kind of guy.

i hope some of this helps. if you have any questions or need more specific details feel free to PM me or post em up here.

mark
Old Feb 11, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
check the sparkplug gaps, my car was doin it and really doin it off the line. my gaps were off a few mm, and lookin real crappy, eventually my car threw a code and i got rid of it, might wanna start there first
what you are describing sounds more like a misfire...expecially if it was corrected by regapping the plugs. last time i checked, the spark plugs had nothing to do with how the tranny was shifting i could be wrong though.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try to lighted up on the gas to see if that works. If not how do you reset ur ECU??
Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

could be a couple things

spark plugs/spark plug wires, motor mounts, or your tranny

have you serviced your tranny?