Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

AWD conversion info thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was justt alking over this with my buddy, I was looking in to options for both traction control (I'm tired of being peg-legged) and conversion to AWD. Let em know what you need as far as photos and info, and maybe you could post an update summary here soon.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:18 AM

I have no idea if this is still a plan, but I am thinking about making an AWD Lancer...
It is not about turning it into an Evo or anything, I want to take a Lancer and make a Rally car out of it. It's almost paid off and is just about time to have fun with her. I don't want to buy an Evo or a RA because the only thing to do with those are to upgrade parts, I want to actually do a work and a project build. Don't have much support in it, or have the help from any tech guys to confirm or deny fitment of any parts or if it could work...but I want to attempt something than helping build another Civic which is why I want to do something to the Lancer.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, only one way to find out. When I was working on it it was all just theory. I can't say 100% positive that it all will work. I know you'll want the rear end from a RA though unless you're gonna run fender flares as the Evo X track is wider. The RA rear end is set up for non-wide cars.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alchem1st
Well, only one way to find out. When I was working on it it was all just theory. I can't say 100% positive that it all will work. I know you'll want the rear end from a RA though unless you're gonna run fender flares as the Evo X track is wider. The RA rear end is set up for non-wide cars.
Definitely...I was thinking either a RA or the Lancer SE since they are both AWD, just need to see if the transfer case will mate up.
Need to see what else is needed for electronics of the AWD system, but first things first is getting my hands on a part out RA or SE sometime in the future.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:40 AM

I'm always down to try something, and I want to do this...we will see how it goes hopefully starting in the fall.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:48 PM

something ive been interested in doing for a while. let me know how much and how long and whatever it takes for you guys to pull it off
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:04 PM

This was done 2- 3 years ago

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:58 PM

2010 lancer de awd transmission swap

i have a 2010 lancer de and was considering doing awd transmission swap just wondering how much work it would be, what parts i could us off my de like tranny mounts n such if at all possible, the cost, and where i would even get ahold of the transmission
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rahtid
This was done 2- 3 years ago

What exactly am I looking at? I see a drive shaft and assume I'm seeing a rear diff? I'm guessing this is a 2008+ Lancer chassis?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:55 AM

Keep us updated on ur findings. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 06:29 AM

couple questions...

Ok, so I was looking at doing this myself, figuring that in order to build a better EVO (the whole reason I got the GTS was because the 2.0L in the EVO just makes me cry, plus can you say fatty?) I would want to get S-AWC if at all possible, but atleast some kind of AWD, like the R///A. I was reading this and someone piped in with FWD is faster anyway... And then some like RWD... I've never done anything but FWD, I don't know the benefits or shortcoming of any other drivetrain, so if anyone could help out with my understanding, and then if it is a better idea to upgrade to S-AWC, I can help with pics, and/or step-by-step on what my local shop is trying, though admitedly it will likely be a few months as I've still got to get a custom exhaust built to increase my turbo gains.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZekeMcKillip
Ok, so I was looking at doing this myself, figuring that in order to build a better EVO (the whole reason I got the GTS was because the 2.0L in the EVO just makes me cry, plus can you say fatty?) I would want to get S-AWC if at all possible, but atleast some kind of AWD, like the R///A. I was reading this and someone piped in with FWD is faster anyway... And then some like RWD... I've never done anything but FWD, I don't know the benefits or shortcoming of any other drivetrain, so if anyone could help out with my understanding, and then if it is a better idea to upgrade to S-AWC, I can help with pics, and/or step-by-step on what my local shop is trying, though admitedly it will likely be a few months as I've still got to get a custom exhaust built to increase my turbo gains.
Fwd is lighter weight so whoever said fwd is faster was assuming a drag race situation. Awd is quicker off the line and far superior on any surface not just perfectly paved roads like the fwd. Cornering goes to the awd as well. The Lancer Ralliart gets its awd system from the Evo IX. You would want the awd system out of the Lancer Ralliart because its the same chassis as the GTS. The Evo X has a slightly different chassis setup then the regular Lancers. A rwd Lancer would be wrong on many levels haha.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZekeMcKillip
Trust me, you dont need S-AWC. S-AWC mode only kicks in on evos when you put the car under some really hard driving. not under normal circumstances. with your lancer its not likely you'll ever put it through hard enough for S -AWC to even engage. You're much better off going with the RA setup, far more compatible than tyring to get the evo AWD
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:13 AM

Hello, you can do the awd swap and transmission? I have a gts and am interested in this, in Mexico do not sell the Evo X, but you can import with Mitsubishi for approximately 60,000 usd the gsr version.....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:14 AM

Hello, you can do the awd swap and transmission? I have a gts and am interested in this, in Mexico do not sell the Evo X, but you can import with Mitsubishi for approximately 60,000 usd the gsr version.....

Quick Reply: AWD conversion info thread