Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

2009 GTS CVT Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GTS CVT Issue

Maybe someone can help me.

I have a 2008 Lancer GTS with CVT, 67,000 miles.

When I am backing up and I don't come to a complete stop before i put car into drive from reverse the car jerks a few times and I hear a loud banging noise (boom,boom) come from the bottom of my car (I think noise comes from tranny).
So I have to come to a complete stop before I put car into drive.
Is this jerking and the banging noise normal?
I used to let car roll sometimes and put into driver without coming to complete stop and the car smoothly came to a stop and shifted into drive. Now when I do this it jerks 3-4 times and makes that banging noise.
Is this normal? Do I have problem with my CVT?
Thank you.

Last edited by Dimonstva; Jul 19, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you're supposed to come to a complete stop before selecting another gear range and the dealer will tell you the same thing and decline warranty service unless you make a really big deal about it.

You probably wore something out which is causing the tranny to slip from R to D. If it works fine when you come to a complete stop then i would leave it alone. If it starts to bang "gears" even when you're at a stop, then you have tranny problems. Mine started to slam gears from P to D and R at 65k. it was a P0741 torque converter clutch system malfunction and had to get the tranny replaced soon after.

also, when's the last time you changed your cvt fluid? could be just old fluid. If you do get a fluid change and it fixes the problem, I would still make a habit of coming to a complete stop.

Last edited by SYSTEMA; Jul 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember when I was at the dealership testing out my car before I bought it. The salesman made a point of showing me how you could flip the tranny from R to D without stopping to show me how "smooth" a CVT could operate. I thought he was an idiot. It is never ever a good idea to reverse the direction of mechanical moving parts before they come to a complete stop, whether they were "made to" or not, they will always last longer if you don't do that.

Also, do you use your park brake when you park? Even on a slight incline if you stop your car and don't set your park brake your transmission will bind a little bit, its what's stopping your car from moving now. Then you turn it off and it cools, binding it more. When you go again there will be more friction present to get it to initially shift and parts will again wear out quicker. To avoid this everytime you park, put the car in park and set the park brake *before* you let go of the brake pedal so the car doesn't roll into the transmission to stop it. Yes all of this will make you go slower in your arriving/leaving places by a few seconds. It will also save wear and tear on your transmission and wallet, and time is money...so you still save time. I even put my car in N and set the park brake at long lights and in drive-thrus to reduce unnecessary tension/friction/heat.

Last edited by Etrain49; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimonstva
Maybe someone can help me.

I have a 2008 Lancer GTS with CVT, 67,000 miles.

When I am backing up and I don't come to a complete stop before i put car into drive from reverse the car jerks a few times and I hear a loud banging noise (boom,boom) come from the bottom of my car (I think noise comes from tranny).
So I have to come to a complete stop before I put car into drive.
Is this jerking and the banging noise normal?
I used to let car roll sometimes and put into driver without coming to complete stop and the car smoothly came to a stop and shifted into drive. Now when I do this it jerks 3-4 times and makes that banging noise.
Is this normal? Do I have problem with my CVT?
Thank you.
Yes, there is a problem. Always get to a complete stop before switching to R or D. It looks like you have worn belt. I advise changing oil/filters and inspect the internals for wear. In case problem persists - look for used low-miles cvts for change or repairs, whatever is less costly
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I dont think this is a Lancer "problem" but rather, a CVT problem. I dont think anybody with an automatic trans should be doing this. So I suggest just waiting until coming to a compelte stop