Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT Quite Noise 09 Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT Low Noise When Braking 09 Lancer ES

Hello, I am new here and just bought a 09 Lancer ES CVT with 140k miles. The car has been well taken care of, but this is my first CVT car. I want to know if it is normal that my Lancer makes a low whine noise when slowing down from 20mph that lasts about 2-3 seconds. While it doesn't make any whiny noise when you accelerate. It's not very loud, such as you must have the AC/Radio turned off to hear it. I also checked the CVT fluid and it is also a light amber color and slightly higher on the HOT, about 1cm over after 20 minutes of driving. The car does drive good so far. Just a concern if that's normal. Thanks.

Last edited by RY12; Aug 18, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:17 PM
LiX
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CVT fluid is green, not amber color!

Change it ASAP and hope that damage is not big.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:15 PM

I bought the 09 Lancer ES from a Mitsubishi dealership and they already inspected it. Most likely the fluid is getting closer to change it. Its still clear on top, but kinda light brownish at the bottom. But if I do change it, all I do is drain and fill it?

Last edited by RY12; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:31 AM
LiX
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RY12
I bought the 09 Lancer ES from a Mitsubishi dealership and they already inspected it. Most likely the fluid is getting closer to change it. Its still clear on top, but kinda light brownish at the bottom. But if I do change it, all I do is drain and fill it?
You can follow the procedure in the service manual, but I would advise you to go to the dealership.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RY12
Hello, I am new here and just bought a 09 Lancer ES CVT with 140k miles. The car has been well taken care of, but this is my first CVT car. I want to know if it is normal that my Lancer makes a low whine noise when slowing down from 20mph that lasts about 2-3 seconds. While it doesn't make any whiny noise when you accelerate. It's not very loud, such as you must have the AC/Radio turned off to hear it. I also checked the CVT fluid and it is also a light amber color and slightly higher on the HOT, about 1cm over after 20 minutes of driving. The car does drive good so far. Just a concern if that's normal. Thanks.
It's ok, no worry. Many cvt users report such sound. It's oil getting off the belt, sounds like compressor.

Anyways it's always a good thing to change oil and filters when you buy a used car. 30000miles oil change is also recommended for long and happy cvt life
Old Apr 12, 2016, 07:41 PM

Did we ever figure out if the throttle position sensor caused lag?
For my 09 gts I seem fast in paddle mode, but slow in D for drive.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Suh dude
Did we ever figure out if the throttle position sensor caused lag?
For my 09 gts I seem fast in paddle mode, but slow in D for drive.
that's normal. In Drive, the cvt up shifting linearly almost immediately to save fuel rather than hold a ratio like sport mode does.