Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

SES and ECU Computer Code advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES and ECU Computer Code advice

I had the SES light come on the other day and I thought it was probably a gas cap issue. It happened after a fill up even though I swear I put it back on tight (3 clicks). Drove it another 300 miles and it didn't shut off. Besides the fact I hate dealer service I don't have time to take it in and wait 45 minutes. I only have 2500 miles on it and figured if it blows up it's on their wallet not mine. So I took it to Autozone as many suggest.

The code that came up was P0507 which is a high idle speed. This didn't sound like the gas cap to me, but I wasn't sure. I have noticed no idle speed problems or off normal sounds from the engine. I called the dealer and asked to talk to one of their techs. I told him that I didn't have time to come in and asked him about the codes and what I could do myself since I couldn't come in today.

A few things that might be helpful to everyone. He said that the gas cap could cause that trouble code as well as others. The P0507 has not been a problem on Lancers but he's seen it a lot on the Eclipse. He also said that to get a SES light to reset on its own it has to go through 3 cycles. The engine has to cool to -zero- (normal temp) usually overnight. Then it has to be heated to a maximum temperature (?) before cooling again. Once this happens 3 times the light will reset if the problem has gone away.

Also, he said steady SES lights are usually not a big deal. Although they should be checked as soon as you can. He said if the SES light blinks that you have a real problem and need service now.

I have my own theory on the gas caps being so touchy. The other 3 cars I've owned or driven in the past few years have a check valve of sorts over the top of the tank under the cap. You have to push it open with the gas nozzle at the pump. The Lancer doesn't have that. The tech said that the 3 clicks rule should keep it from happening.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

might have my problem had to replace a sensor and fuel pump car still ran fine just wasnt good exact same millage when mine happened
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by ryancb
might have my problem had to replace a sensor and fuel pump car still ran fine just wasnt good exact same millage when mine happened
How much worse was your mpg. I've only been tracking mine for the last 4 fill-ups. I'm around 27 average, 25-26 when I've done a lot of city driving and 28-29 mostly highway. I had the guy at Autozone reset the light. So I assume if it is that, it will come back soon enough.

The fact that it showed up 80 miles after a fill-up makes me suspect that it was due to the gas cap.