Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2000 RPM rattle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 RPM rattle

Ok here's the deal I have a rattle in my motor and noticed about six months after i purchased it. Its a 2002 lancer OZ. I only noticed it when i reved it to about 2000 RPM when it was parked. I didn't think anything of it because my wifes honda does that I think some rocker noise. Then I drove the car to Cali and when i got back i noticed that i could hear the rattle when i was driving in gear at about 2000 RPM. So its under warranty and i took it to the dealer. the guy who looked at it said it sounded like engine failure. So they took it in to look at it. They had it for three days and never even looked under the valve cover and i kept calling them and they would say they were gonna look at the rods by removing the oil pan, they never did, so when talked to the tech working on my car he said that the noise wasn't loud enough to cover by warranty and said that it would have to get worse before they would do anything about it. So i complained to Mitsubishi and to the manager and then they brought the distirct manager out and he looked at it and of course agreed with the manager and tech. They wouldn't even listen to me. It pissed me off because I do know about cars and have worked on quite a fiew. anyway they won't do anything about it. They also made sure to tell me that if something hapeens at 1 mile over my warranty then i would have to pay for it. Anyway sorry so long, IT still makes noise I was wondering if anyone else has a problem like that. If so let me know.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have actually noticed a very similiar problem but it happens at almost exactly 2500rpms.. I have no idea what it could be and i have never had it looked at.. It kinda sounds like aluminum rattling.. But it definitely happens in every gear at almost exactly 2500 rpms and sometimes inbetween shifts..
Old Feb 19, 2005, 02:50 PM

Yeah thats exactly what mine does, I am beginning to think that it may be a A bad valve spring and its causing some slap. I wish i knew what caused it
Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

mine does it to, but my valve seals are shot, to see if yours are take off your oil cap if you smell ANY gas your seals are shot. imo this motor has many weak points. im dissapointed w/ my econobox as it stands right now.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

i have a rattle but its not the motor.....its the heatsheild on the mid pipe of ur exhust....from then header to the cat.....that is what is ratteing most likey. does it do it when u rev ur enigne to 2000rpm? cause open ur door and stick ur head under ur car and youll hear it.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:36 PM

yeah i've gote something like this but it happens around 3000 rpm and only under load. Almost sounds like lifters or valves but the valves should be tight because the car only has about 8000 miles on it. I took it to mits and had it looked at and they told me it was the fuel injectors B***S*** anyway I don't trust the guys a mits but as long as it doesn't get any worse i'm not going to worry about it, of course this probably means its going to go right at 100,001 miles.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
upper posts sounds like a heat shield rattling.... as far as the fuel injector post... I havent heard your noise for myself but fuel injectors can be noisy, this is usually normal though.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 04:55 PM

Yeah they tried to tell me that it was my exhaust shield to, but I had a muffler shop check it out and they said it was coming from the engine. I also had my father in law look at it and he figured that it was a spring or something too. Hes an engineer.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 09:06 AM

I have that very same rattle and experience. My car was at 59 K and I have a 75k warranty. They did not even take off the valve cover talked to all managers etc they noted my profile in their comp system that they acknowledge the rattle. To me its a valve rattle. I just hope that the motor will not blow up after warranty is out. And no this is not a heat sheild issue.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Same problem here. It's definitaly coming from the engine. Everytime when I drive my car and I leave it in the same rpm range 2k-2.5k it always makes that sound.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

I hear it too. I notice it at around 2400 to 2800 rpm. Sounds kinda like when you try to make a static noise with your mouth, but worse. My car also use to feel like it would slip or cut out if I stayed at 2400 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear; like a jerky feeling. oh well, mitsubishi is better than alot of other economy cars.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

I think this weekend I will check it out with Omar(sleepingOZ, OmarBoy). We'll see if we can find out what the heck it is ticking. If not that soon I want to swap the pistons so it will be a great opportunity to check things out.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Please let us know. I think I have the same problem. When I change gears, it makes a rattling noise like something is loose. It might have something to do with the clutch.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

So we checked it out with Omar but for some reason the rattling sound went away.
I know, how????
It's so stupid but for real we tried but there were no weird sounds.

Sorry
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

my rattle is at about the same rpm range ( 2k - 2.5k ) i noticed that the exhaust piping is touching the rear sway bar, causing the noise.

Quick Reply: 2000 RPM rattle