Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

warranty voiding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb warranty voiding

when i asked my mitsubishi dealers, i specifically asked for some modifications that could be done without voiding the warranty.

i asked if an intake will void my warranty, but seems that it would for the fact taht pretty much everyone is doing it. and they said that it shouldn't really matter, unless the problem that would occur (when u do go for a check up) is directly linked to the mod. but as long as the mods u do dont do the harm, u warranty would be intact. they even told me, just incase, remove all the parts before going in for maintenance.

for sure mufflers wont void, except perhaps when u remove one of the catalyc converters, for a test pipe or anything like that. cat back systems wouldn't...technically, but anything involving welding and such i would just wait, in the mean time, i'm just going to put a bolt on part, not a weld on.

i also asked if a body kit / bumper kit would void my perforation warranty, and they said nah.

but definitely if u tamper with the engine internals, like turbo, and other forms of induction would definitely kill ur warranty. so for these i would wait that long 3 years....or until i hit 60 000km.

headers...i'm not quite sure...technically....i shouldn't void....cuz ur only adding to it.....

hmm...can't think of anything else that would relate to the voiding of the warranty...

gimme ur thoughts guys.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Search. Search. Search.

It's been done to death, dude.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

just answered your own question....
.ENGINE INTENALS.....
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

my dealer told me that putting an exhaust on the evo would void the warranty
Old Mar 23, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

The headers are in the maybe category you created because using them removes the first cat.
-N
Old Mar 26, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well here is the scoop as I know it... you can do anything you want to an engine... and it won't void the warranty UNLESS what you did is DIRECTLY linked to the modification you made. If you put on a turbo charger and the air conditioning goes out.. they have to fix it under warranty... but if you ruin a piston or valve or something and you had a turbo on.. you pay. Lucky for us most of the things that will break are electronic pieces ( I lost an exhaust solenoid in my car at 3000 miles) and will almost always be covered by warranty.

They'll try and screw you... so you need to know your stuff... if you are running turbo and a lifter goes or something.. then they'll have to eat it... even though they'll try and tell you otherwise... if it really comes down to it... talk to a lawyer... one call will take care of it probably. (But don't be an A** if there is a risk you are going to be wrong.. you give the rest of us a bad name)

(BTW... they tried telling me that misbehaving of my engine when that valve went was the fault of my K and N air intake... first time I went they told me it was starving the engine for air.. the next time I as there.. the next day.. they told me it gave the engine too much air and messed up the tuning... I took it off and told them to fix the problem... bastards)
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Screw it, I'm gettin it all. Why wait till 60k? If it breaks, fix it yerself. Buy the part and fix it. If you don't know how, learn. It's not that hard, just time consuming. Bu that's what weekends are for. YOu can save a lot of money, and learn a thing or 2. Yeah, I know, the Evo is not a great starter car for the newbie mechanic. Actually I would rather replace pistons or crank in the 4G63 than a V8. 4 banger, half the work.

Last edited by stvbreal; Mar 26, 2003 at 05:10 PM.