Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

power steering??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um... Shouldn't have told us your plan..jk,
There is only a couple of things that run power steering Power Steering Pump, Power Steering Rack, Maybe not in your case but in most rentals the power steering rack is the first thing to go,

Because people like to do reverse 180's in cars that
aren't theres in wal-mart parking lots

LucenteX
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aznmitsugrl
and yeah, my dad had a ps pump go out on him once. ford taurus. and it sucked *****. but his leaked for a little while before. he replaced it. too bad he's too lazy to work on my car.
wat do u expect its a ford, and ps. never buy a car that was a rent-a-car, i rented a cts-v and messed it all up,lol
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

^^^Hey, be easy on the girl ! Hope getting that pump replaced dones the job. And yeh, if that co-workers hubbie/bf does work on an Eclipse it will be similiar. I'd say get a new belt in case it was torqued wrong and stretched or something. It's like what $10 ? Hardest thing will be finding a cheap pump. Check out Ebay and local junk yards...
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:09 PM

auto zone said $246 for a pump. and i've been told that at the best junkyard in town, they wouldn't let go for less than $300. i'm really not big on ebay... hopefully i can convince either my dad or nathan (coworker's hubbie) to get it done this weekend or the next.
yeah, i'm planning on grabbing a belt too.

oh, so next oil change (sometime in jan) my dad will be showing me how to do it myself. so i can save the 12.50 they charge me in labor.
AND i may be installing a K&N cone filter. that's all coming up in jan, after i've recuperated from Christmas. i know, i know...
Old Oct 21, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

***Important update...*** Just found this on Ebay !!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...spagenameZWDVW

$75 dollars plus shipping from IN. Looks like a good reseller with good feedback.

Can your boy get a cookie? LOL
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:22 AM

ok, so i had thought i posted a reply around midnight last night, but i just clicked "post" and went to bed without waiting, so when i wake up this morning, the entire post full of snickerdoodles, pirates, gas prices, and power steering pumps was gone.
anyways, thanks for the link, and yes, you can have a cookie if you wanna drive all the way up here to get one!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

^^^Do you just wake up? Have a hard night? Never seen so many comma's in one sentence... J/K

Cookie, here I come !!! LOL.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

looks like you'll be getting hooked up after all. it's nice to see that you won't be spending a fortune.

i thought i'd chime in and say that i am feeling your power steering pain. my tensioner for the power steering and a/c belt was pretty messed up:

a friend of mine and i took the belt and tensioner off while we wait for new parts from mitsubishi. the bolt that the tensioner bolt screws into got bent and some of the threads got completely flattened... totally screwed.

so far everyone has been surprised that i didn't throw the belt, haha.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atilla
looks like you'll be getting hooked up after all. it's nice to see that you won't be spending a fortune.

i thought i'd chime in and say that i am feeling your power steering pain. my tensioner for the power steering and a/c belt was pretty messed up:

a friend of mine and i took the belt and tensioner off while we wait for new parts from mitsubishi. the bolt that the tensioner bolt screws into got bent and some of the threads got completely flattened... totally screwed.

so far everyone has been surprised that i didn't throw the belt, haha.
that happens to me every time i change it,lol, its not bent just that under pressure it goes to the side
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

no, it's definitely bent. the bolt you can't see is what is messed up--the bolt you do see screws into the one that i described. the whole assembly is sitting in my cupholder in the center console. the tensioner bolt is supposed to be at an angle, but not as extreme as that, if you look closely you can see it's almost out of the bracket.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

oh , i didnt know that , mine does that also, but if i unscrew it , it goes back 2 normal(strait)
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, when you crank that bolt down it does come out at an angle--but it's well within the bracket so it's okay. mine was definitely going towards the "not okay" side of the street.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atilla
yeah, when you crank that bolt down it does come out at an angle--but it's well within the bracket so it's okay. mine was definitely going towards the "not okay" side of the street.
na if i tighten it alot , the bolt comes out the lil thing
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

chances are it's too tight then--you CAN overtighten belts. you should take the tensioner off and examine all the bolts and then the tensioner itself. the tensioner bolt shouldn't come completely out like that. you may have the same problem i do.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

oh well it works fine like that, whats the point of me going like 35 miles away from my house to the stealership and buying it for like 20 bucks and them having to order it , a week later i have to go and pick it up and waist another 35 miles of gas( i live in san antonio mits is on the NW side and i live on the SE side,lol)

Last edited by 02-Lancer-Es; Oct 22, 2006 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: power steering??