Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

power steering??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine also worked fine, but i like to think of it as preventive maintenance. from what guys have told me it is not fun to throw your power steering belt while you are driving and lose power steering.

35 miles is quite the hike. i will be doing a 25 mile drive to my friend's house. he is picking up the parts for me from the dealership there.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea the only thing that i dont like about san antonio,tx is that it is big, just to go to school is 20 miles and another 20 to come back, my car still doest waist that much gas, i use it every day like 50 miles and it will last me 10 days, dont ask me how but it just does that, i think its becuz my is diffrent from alot of lancers on the street, mine was made in japan , so its the jdm(i did a vin search), my engine area looks diff, in mine it looks like there is parts missing
Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:26 AM

So back to the topic, did you get this resolved, and was the PS pump actually the problem ?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:21 PM

lol... actually i've kinda been hitting up the slacker's pot, so i still haven't had it done. my friend/coworker's husband was gonna do it, but we're both too lazy to meet up. the tech had said it wasn't a pressing situation, but it did need to get done. i've been saving up for christmas, so i guess i need to dip into the fund for the pump and a belt.
i'll let you all know what the deal is when i get it done!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:56 PM

ok, so uh, i finally ordered the pump. it'll be in friday, and i'll have it done tuesday (hopefully). so probably tuesday i'll post a final update, and this whole thing will be over and done with!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

awesome. it's going to be crazy once you get your power steering back, i drove without it for three months and it was like a whole new car once i got it back.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:00 PM

ok, so had the pump replaced today... it was all of 70 bucks, plus 245 for the pump, and i'm getting almost 60 back from the used core. not too bad, considering the dealer said 700+.
the belt was perfectly fine, but the guy who pulled out the old pump gave it a little spin and was like "ooo... doesnt sound too friendly"
i don't even remember how long it took to get it done, cause we pretty much just sat around and acted stupid... it was a pretty enjoyable visit, seeing how these are all old men who know my dad and watched me grow up.
anyways, it's raining today, but there weren't any puddles to really try it out on... not to mention i spent all day saturday doing everything to my car short of a wax and buff to get it clean.
hopefully this is the end to my power steering saga, but you'll hear me scream if it's not!
thanks guys
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to hijack your thread but my power steering has been completley replaced and now my power steering sensor is out. You see, on our cars there is a pressure sensor that detects when you turn. So when you turn it kicks in your powersteering. Its supposed to save gas while doing highway driving and while driving fast. THats why your car will rev up a little when you are in park and you turn the wheel.

Anyways my sensor is out and I need a new one but where is the thing located? I cant afford to pay mitsu to put it in. I already have to buy it from them.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:23 PM

yeah, well today, my town was pretty much under an inch (or 5) of rain, so i had PLENTY of opportunities to test it all out... the belt is still squealing, but i'm not losing my power steering, and it's only lasting as long as i'm in a puddle.... so it's a huge improvement.

and after asking a few eclipse owners that i know, they've got the same issue...

but i dunno, maybe it's me just being sick of it and not caring anymore, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Custom cut some diamond-plate to cover the under-belly of the car and then you'd be set... Anyways, glad to hear about the pump working fine; the water is still getting on the belt and making it squeal. But even my car will do that after a wash, deeper puddle, etc...

The saga is over !