Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine trouble

ok i need some serious help. my car when i start it up makes a little sqweeky noise like the belt is loose or something but it runs fine! but the problem is when i turn it off i cant start it back up. i can start the car and the engine turns over starts then just dies like there is no gas or the spark plugs arent working right. it has happened three times and i havent added anything new to the car at all. one time it just died when i was driving when i was doing a stop and roll in second gear because it was in low rpm. i usually let it sit for 20 mins so it cools or drains which works. does anyone have any idea to what it could be im running fuel injector cleaner in there but i dont think thats the problem. help please!!!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

check to see that your battery is holding a charge. also have the alternator checked. the squealing is most likely a belt. the belt could be too loose and/or slipping and that may have damaged the alternator (unlikely, but still worth checking out).
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:00 PM

well tonight it just died. the battery is fine cuz we tried to jump it. so i had to get it towed i think the fuel pump broke cuz the engine wont even flip. so when i turn the key just the starter is making noise! maybe thats what it is? any other opinions?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, sounds exactly like your battery is not charging. check the alternator belt
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like alternator or even more like the battery had a similiar problem and i had a bad battery. just take it to the local auto store have them run a check
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like your tires are low on air.......

Hah jk. But almost the same happened to me. But my car wouldn't start again after the second of third time.

I would turn it on, then go off. Did that 2-3 times, then it wouldn't come back on. I found out it was my battery. Had to get a bigger one due to all the crap i got in. But take your battery to Autozone and they will check it for free.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, i think it the stereo turn it off then on... JK. I think its your spark plugs. Your running fuel injector cleaners. I use to dump that stuff into my camaro. Then i read in my Haynes that it wasn't too good for it. I checked my plugs and they looked red, like in my manuel!!! So, i think it could be combination of stuff, such as the the belts, altenator, and plugs. But i'd check the plugs.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel pump is a possible. I think the belt noise has nothing to do with the starting issue. Check fuel pressure perhaps.

ROAD/RACE;apimp:
Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well, in my Civic it was a faulty relay under the dash. But in a '92 Civic VX it is expected to have some bad parts after 250k+. Any bumping stereo system in there? Bad alt can cause the batt to go bad to too. But check it first...
Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

and if it is your battery, check the alternator fuse on the battery make sure its not blown or your battery will die after running the car for 15+ mins.