Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

RPM's staying high too long

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
happened to me again…but this time it stayed at 2grand for a solid 10 seconds! lol
i got off the highway and was waiting at the light on the off ramp…i think the guy beside me thought i was retarded
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:07 PM

I too am getting a high rpm when coming out of the throttle, pushing in the clutch to stop. Mostly at redlights after the car is warmed up awhile. I plan to take it to the dealer soon.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah I have to take this to my new dealer i found, who kicks butt....they even wash my car after a warranty job, yeah! Will be taking it to them when its dirty now :P But they don't towel dry so water spots oh well...

Anyways I am sure everyone has heard of the TSB for this, "kinda for this" for "spirited driving" I use cruise on the highway and the bloody rpm's hang for so long and finally after about 10 seconds drop to idle...and its worse down shifting when the car doesn't slow down but give a little push before slowing down.... hmmm

I will have to use my "force" on the dealer next time i am in....the service writer knows me well and that I am a certified heavy duty tech :P

Last edited by CamShaft; Feb 22, 2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Subscribed
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

I have been told while talking to the service manager, that this is normal and does happen on other car makes as well so they can meet emissions. So while driving with higher rpms (3000) or more whether at cruise or accelerating you will get this. Its just a way of trying to clean out the cat of unburnt fuel (hydrocarbons) I am a mechanic and air care certified so I do see where its coming from and I guess we will all have to deal with it.

Apparently someone has gotten their throttle body replaced and said it made it better. Whether this was just someone who's mindset was, "they replaced something it must be better" or not... I don't know.

If you can get your dealer to warranty your throttle body and it fixes it, great. But I was told it was ECU programming, which is very feasible and makes sense.

So until I really get some throttle body codes (without jumping the harness from pin to pin, thats cheating anyways) I will live with it.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

this happened to me for the first time today. i had been on the highway, cruising around 80mph or so, so the rpms were at around 3700, then about 10 minutes later i was waiting at a stop sign. and the rpms hung around 2500 for ten seconds. i tried the clutch in and out, nothing happened, put it in neutral, still stayed, 1st did nothing. i may go in and get the new throttle body too, seeing as how normally i'm a "spirited driver" as well. but you would think that on a car that normally has rpms in the high 3k range for highway driving, they would see this as dangerous....
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:12 PM

I started up my Lancer GTS today (got it yesterday and it has 93 miles on it)

It idled at 1500 for probably 3 minutes then went down to 700-800 (which is likely normal). I feel that this is kinda long for it to be idling that high, but its likely just the new engine.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

warm up mode ignore it.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:42 PM

You can add me to this fu@&in list and the window tint scratch list. If my car didnt look so sexy i'd of drove it off a cliff by now.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

i had a long trip today and my idle stayed at 2000-2500 RPM for like 10-20 secondes and i gave it gas and it stayed at 5000 RPM . WOW
Old Mar 22, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was taking my car for the first oil change at mitsubishi today and while I was stopping at a red light on the highway the rpm were staying at 2500 and decreasing very slowly. The car was in neutral. It has happened before.
off topic: the engine was super smooth after the oil change!!!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

super smooth after an oil change? Thats almost like saying my car is faster now that I put a v-tec decal on it.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I've yet to have this happen, as described by this thread. Then again, I almost always 'engine break', down shift, and engine break more as I slow for stop lights and turns. I never go from the gear I'm driving in to neutral while stopping.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

I noe u guys are talking about 6spd but i have gotten this on the gts in reg auto mode. I'll be driving and floor it to keep up with traffic while mergine and rpms would hit lets say 4500 and I'll let go of the gas and the rpms will stay there for a good 7-8 seconds. Its like it thinks I'm in sport mode and is waiting for me to shift it personally. ...weird it only does it once in a while though
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CamShaft
super smooth after an oil change? Thats almost like saying my car is faster now that I put a v-tec decal on it.
I'm not saying it was faster but the engine feels to rev more freely after an oil change because all that metal residue is gone etc

Originally Posted by nunyas
I've yet to have this happen, as described by this thread. Then again, I almost always 'engine break', down shift, and engine break more as I slow for stop lights and turns. I never go from the gear I'm driving in to neutral while stopping.
I do that too but I was feeling kinda lazy.

Originally Posted by chetman7
I noe u guys are talking about 6spd but i have gotten this on the gts in reg auto mode. I'll be driving and floor it to keep up with traffic while mergine and rpms would hit lets say 4500 and I'll let go of the gas and the rpms will stay there for a good 7-8 seconds. Its like it thinks I'm in sport mode and is waiting for me to shift it personally. ...weird it only does it once in a while though.
We're talking about the 5-spd MT. In your case the cvt may need some time to change the gear ratio so that the rpm can go down but that's just an assumption.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

sorry masterAK, changing your oil does re-new the oil and such, keeping your engine "happy" But you won't notice anything from it other than a longer lasting engine. Sometimes doing things to your car can just be all in your head.

I just put a Tsudo muffler on my car and honestly I don't know the difference except the sound. All in the head.

BACK ON TOPIC

Sport mode in a cvt i believe will keep the rpms with the gear to make it feel as if you are driving a manual. I think the RPM issue is only with 5 spds.

Also if you down shift you won't notice it that much but if you make a quick stop and start going again you will notice it while up shifting, as the RPM's won't drop as much. But like I said earlier its all emissions related and we can't change that.

Quick Reply: RPM's staying high too long