Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

RPM's staying high too long

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM's staying high too long

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Basically the revs want to stay high all the time. Car has ~5000km (Canada) on it and not too lond ago this started. I'll be cruising 3rd or 4th gear around 4-5000 rpm, let out gas and it seems the engine takes forever to slow down, almost like having cruise control on. Even pushing in the clutch (5 speed) while driving the revs stay high. At times I can come up to a red light and the revs will sit at about 1500 for like 5-8 seconds before dropping down to normal.

It's frustrating to say the least. Braking seems to be a little tougher too with engine speed up.

I brought it in to the dealer and they said it's just unburned fuel having to burn. I don't buy that though. Fuel economy seems a little worse than it was before this issue.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cordizzle
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Basically the revs want to stay high all the time. Car has ~5000km (Canada) on it and not too lond ago this started. I'll be cruising 3rd or 4th gear around 4-5000 rpm, let out gas and it seems the engine takes forever to slow down, almost like having cruise control on. Even pushing in the clutch (5 speed) while driving the revs stay high. At times I can come up to a red light and the revs will sit at about 1500 for like 5-8 seconds before dropping down to normal.

It's frustrating to say the least. Braking seems to be a little tougher too with engine speed up.

I brought it in to the dealer and they said it's just unburned fuel having to burn. I don't buy that though. Fuel economy seems a little worse than it was before this issue.

Thanks for any feedback.
The dealership is yanking your chain they have no idea, and thats pretty lame. At least they could e-mail or phone thier tech support but it seems like mitsubishi doesn't have much of one.

Anyways its the feature of the car for saving fuel when cruising down the road. It keeps the throttle cracked open to let you coast rather than slowing you down, and it is supposed to learn you driving habits so as to know how fast to drop the RPMs. Mine was fine for a while and now at 6500kms it acts up when getting off a highway or cruising at the same speed for a long time, you go to up shift and it takes forever for the rpm to drop.

I was told and agree to give the car another 5000 kms and see if it settles out. But the only thing the tech knew of was to reset the "learn-to-drive" program again but that will just start again from square one. So until then we are screwed i guess.. same as a lot of other little bug you will find in a first year new model.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:15 AM

really it sounds like dealerships have no idea whatsoever... supposedly there is a TSB out there for this issue... it would be great if someone could find it...
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Cordizzle you must be the guy with the black GTS who was in at the dealer the other day that i was there. I was sayin i have a similiar problem. But was told that its normal to have high idle on cold starts. I guess i didnt really explain to Wayne exactly what was wrong...

Basically, Im coming to stop at a light, (after the engine is warmed up) clutched pushed all the way in, and my idle is staying way up after i come to a complete stop. I watch my tach, it slowly falls, then goes real low about 500 rpm, then back up to about 800rpm. This high idle makes it awkward changing gears as well.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Holy crap mitsu actually has tsb's?? I was wondering about that because they always try to give me the run around until they realize I work at a heavy duty truck dealership and our trucks are about twice as complex as the cars nowadays.

Anyways I would love to get a hold of this tsb on the throttle issue or at least have some tech in Canada who knows whats going on because driving in second then shifting into third and either having to wait 5-10 seconds for the rpm to drop or just letting the clutch out...either way your gonna wear out your clutch faster or the release bearing...either way its putting extended wear on your clutch as far as I see.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

It will definately go away. Mine was really bad an annoying when i get int back in April. Now with 6000 miles on it it has all but disappeared, except when going down hill when a "normal" manual would slow you down, this thing keeps coasting. Car seemingly has "broken in" and revs don't really hang anymore.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Would it at all have anything to do with the ECU "learning" where for it to idle? Did any of you guys disconnect the battery any time recently?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:07 PM

I have taken my car to the dealer 3 times so far with the same problem as described in the first post.
The head mechanic said no error codes were activated when hooked up to a data logger. The end result was it was that was just the way the car is..
My car seems so bad that after exiting a freeway and downshifting while braking the engine almost made me overshoot the next corner!!! not good.. I don't think this sort of behaviour from a car should be "normal " You should let off the throttle and that should be it !! not instant cruise control.

The Dealer I have to say was pretty good about trying to figure out the problem.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Whoever happens to go to the dealer with this problem, ask the service manager or tech if they have an online or phone tech support and ask them to file a claim with this problem. Mitsu has engineers, or at least should have, waiting to help with issues that tech's can't figure out. I know my dealship has it with cummins, fuller, roadranger ect. Also my dealership works on mitsubishi fuso's (cube vans) and we have tech support for them! so the cars must as well.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can u video tape it with your phone camera

See this is the reason why i dont think its smart of mitsu to come out with a new 2.4 either
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

The dealer here on Vancouver Island told me that the ECU will adjust to people who are, i believe the term he used was, "spirited drivers" will experience this. And mitsu is aware of the problem but has no fix at this current time. I dont know if this is true, but i do know that, I went out of town for a week. My friend borrowed my car with a completely different driving style, I come back and this is now a non issue. Hmmm very strange.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by duc751

The Dealer I have to say was pretty good about trying to figure out the problem.

So he did figure out the problem? Or just put in alot of time troubleshooting and came up with no explanation?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmoothdrJay
So he did figure out the problem? Or just put in alot of time troubleshooting and came up with no explanation?

Cant blame the techs at your dealer, they are dealing with a brand new platform... and to think they have a 2.4 coming too?
I smell trouble
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:41 PM

Unhappy

I have been having the same issue and i have 11k on my car now. mainly when exiting the highway. but it does do it sometimes around town.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:47 PM

"spirited driving" is what their TSB indicates would cause the rpm issue... mine does it regardless...
-dealers cannot provide a copy of that TSB? if anyone knows let us know if you can get obtain a copy

Quick Reply: RPM's staying high too long