Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Another water leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another water leak!!!

Hia guys,
OK so here's what I've got.
I was cleaning and vacuuming the car the other day and while vacuuming I felt that the carpet in my drivers seat floor board was damp, and i use that term liberally. I pulled the molding up to lookup underneith it to make sure i hadnt accidentally spilt something ,and the padding was damp too from the slope at the peddles to the slope at the seat brackets.

The first thing that came to mind was my heater core. So I ran my hand all around the "tranny hump" and a little back behind my dash at the bottom ie. behind the ashtray cubby hole place, and found no moisture etc.

I run the heater constantly when driving bec. I usually role w/ the windows down. So with this in mind, I was thinking condensation from running the heater so much on my feet.

Now, a week or two passed and another vacuuming. This time I noticed it not only in the front drivers side but now in the back drivers side floorboard too. Of course I thought, "Well cant be the heater core because it would have to go over the hump between the front and back seat. So it must be condensation from the heater under the front seat goin' to the feet of the people in the back seat.

Ive done a lil research about this, and it seems there was a recall at one time. Whould this be "The Recall"?

What does everyone make of this. It's kinda got me goin crazy.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

holy ***ING sh*t....ive been dealing with this bull**** for 2 god damn years..
let me put it this way. i live in south florida rain is a pain in the *** and well i hate it with this car... a few things that i have in my mind as to why I am having this problem....

1. the crappy floor plugs on the drivers side of the vehicle get touched a lot. they are directly under where u put ur foot most often in the car in the centermost part of the carpet on the drivers side of the floor, if you have gone through whater, whether it be a driveway or not this may be the problem

2. when you go through puddles, whether light or heavy, water hits the ''splash guard'' in your wheel well. A problem with this is that the ''splash guard'' is not 100 percent sealed and water may travel up the fender into the gromet area thats not 100 percent sealed either, water may have entered in through there, and ran down the panels onto the floor due to gravity alone.

3. this is my best theory, our cars just hate us. if for no other reason the damn car is a pain in the *** and it pisses me off. if its not one thing its another and dammit im sick of it, im ready for a new car lol.

now that ive vented i hope someone else has stumbled upon this thread just as i have and i hope to find somethin out that will help with mine, AND DOMANNI'S problem
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

my friend with a lancer had the same problem.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

so after a very long night of browsing and trying to find any info i can, i stumbled upon a bunch of posts from 03 that showed this problem happening with evos, and how they might have had a recall on this. so today im going to try to give my dealers a call, seeing how i live near about 4 mitsubishis im gunna try to see if i can get them to fix the leak and replace the carpet like they did for the evo guys
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

aww man good luck with it.

Do you smell the humidity and wet carpet??? and do your windows fog up durring the day???

I steam vacuumed my 05 OZ when I got it a few weeks ago... and it took away the funny smell the car had.

So if they replace it I recommend a light steam vac to the seats. Not only will dirt come out but the car will smell great...(after the 2nd day)... when it dries. haha.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:07 AM

well if you have an alarm on your car it is very well possible that when they installed it they drilled down through your firewall and lost some of the gromits around there.becuase thats what happned with my 04 es and when it rained it was running down and then going through those holes were the gromets were supposed to be
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

i do have an alarm but i was a helping hand on it. there are only a few wires, i think 3or 4 that go through the firewall but they are up near the dash and sealed with silicone, but thats not big enough to make standing water..im talking its so much it seeps through the carpet and u can take ur hand and splash it lol. sh*tty....

i just called local mitsu's and they basically said, well its not a recall, its not in our system that it should be looked at so we wont honor it...but if u want to call corporate and complain ur more then welcomed to...? wtf? maybe someone else can get a recall code or something because these ****** didnt seem to want to deal with it and i dont have the money to invest in this
Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

bump anyone hear anything?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

u just got to watch out when u drive through water. i dont know what to tell you but the stealership isnt ususally that helpful...

i have a similar problem and the way i deal with it is just removing the carpets and letting it air dry until i get a steam vac..

yay highway flooding
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Never had a leak in the lancer, but had one in the Civic hatchback. Under the some of the factory molding some metal had rusted through and water used to leak down the A-pillars onto both the driver & passenger floor boards. The only way I figured this out was gutting the car and have the wife pour water over it and wait for the drips.

Good luck guys!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:22 AM

Well, I found that mine was that I had ran my 4 ga. wire from my dist. block to my battery thru the rubber seal that is behind the drverside kikk pannel. And of course my dumb **** didn't put it back in as good as i thought. Sooo......under the carpet is still wet, guess its not goin to dry itself huh....lmao...Now answer me this, I went thru the auto car wash the other night and hear some drops commin in under the dashboard in the passenger side floorboard....ARRGG!!!!! I just installed my new piggy V1 and checked the gromet i ran it thru and it was dry as a bone since its under the hood....where could this be comming from?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

well YOU sir are in the same ***in water boat as me lol. i have been messing with trying to seal up my grommet for about 3 months now using different puttys, silicones, expandable foams. and to no avail. i have, at the moment, no carpet in my car and when it rains, i can see that it comes from about the grommet area and trickles down, now my problem is i cant maneuver myself to see EXACTLY where it comes from. Ive been without carpet for about a month now and am in need of a new one once this is over, about 2 yrs worth of drips reaaaly ***s it up. lemme know if you find out what the problem is, i might be taking off my grate in front of the windshield... ive read that it might be clogged letting water in behind the dashboard but idk, g'luck man