Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

is my oil or coolant too low? please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy is my oil or coolant too low? please help!!!

I was driving my car around town for a little to see some friends, but when i shut the car off, it gave me three warnings: Check oil, Check coolant temperature, and service required with a battery. It's never done this before!!

1.I checked the coolant level and its right smack dab in between Full and Low in the container

2. According to the dipstick, i'm barely OK on oil level, meaning the level was about 5mm from the L on the dipstick.

3. I felt the radiator hoses and they were both very hot (right after turning off the car).

4. I tested the battery's voltage and read 14.1 volts (with car just shut off).

What could be the problem?? Is it time to do an oil change even though I had one done about 1000 miles ago? Or is my car just acting up? Feel free to PM me if needed, and thanks in advance
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

um i think if you have the keys in a certain position those lights are always on. Once you turn the car back on do they go away?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^if they are the idiot lights (just the little icons on the top of the dash) then those are just making sure the lights work so when a problem does happen you know the light works.

hmm never had those warnings. It actually came up on the center display LCD? Let it develop. Wait until it does it constantly and then take it to the dealer. But from the sounds of it you battery, oil, and coolant are just fine.

I am assuming its 1/2 way between full and low? If so, you are about .4 to .5 quarts low. Which isn't much but you should find out where its going if it was completely full originally. Also you need to let the engine sit for a bit to check the oil, oil sticks and eventually runs into the pan from the other engine parts.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CamShaft
^if they are the idiot lights (just the little icons on the top of the dash) then those are just making sure the lights work so when a problem does happen you know the light works.

hmm never had those warnings. It actually came up on the center display LCD? Let it develop. Wait until it does it constantly and then take it to the dealer. But from the sounds of it you battery, oil, and coolant are just fine.

I am assuming its 1/2 way between full and low? If so, you are about .4 to .5 quarts low. Which isn't much but you should find out where its going if it was completely full originally. Also you need to let the engine sit for a bit to check the oil, oil sticks and eventually runs into the pan from the other engine parts.
If everything is fine, why all of a sudden do I get these warnings? And I didnt think about waiting to check the oil level, good point. And yes, these are showing up on the actual LCD display. I would do an oil change if oil was low, but I think its too early and I would be wasting money kind of. Also, I would wait to see if it stays on for a while, but if something really IS wrong, it could damage my engine! And to my knowledge, my car has no leaks whatsoever.

Last edited by yitzac1990; Mar 21, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Well, thats what your warranty is for no? Engine damage beyond normal?!

How many miles on your oil change now? have you done one yet?

I would be taking it to my dealer, thats what warranty is for no?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

well I dont really want to go to the dealership because they are such a hassle to deal with. If its something simple like add more oil, I can do that on my own, thats why im asking it to everyone on here. And i have about 1000 miles since my first oil change, ive only done one change so far. car has about 4600 miles on it or so.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Why not just call the dealership and ask?

Hard to say what the problem is without actually being there.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

when you turn your key on it give you an oil can display. This car doesn't have an oil level sensor, just an oil pressure sensor. You don't have a coolant level sensor just a temp sensor. And you do have a battery idiot light telling you if you are under/over charging your battery.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

when you turn your key on it give you an oil can display. This car doesn't have an oil level sensor, just an oil pressure sensor. You don't have a coolant level sensor just a temp sensor. And you do have a battery idiot light telling you if you are under/over charging your battery.
Well I found out yesterday that I dont even have to turn my key on to get the warning lights, nor do I even have to put it in the ignition! Even with all doors closed and the alarm set, the LCD display stays on. There is no way to shut it off without disconnecting the battery. And I wasn't talking about a battery idiot light on the dash ABOVE the LCD display, im saying it said service required on the actual LCD display!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

oh, now it just said "service required"???? Thats totally different than check oil, coolant and battery. Please get the facts completely straight so I can give you some guidance or help you out.

With my experience of my car it will keep the LCD on for a little while after you set your alarm, I think. (factory alarm?)

Send me you e-mail via PM and I will give you some info.

Last edited by CamShaft; Mar 23, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

oh, now it just said "service required"???? Thats totally different than check oil, coolant and battery. Please get the facts completely straight so I can give you some guidance or help you out.

With my experience of my car it will keep the LCD on for a little while after you set your alarm, I think. (factory alarm?)

Send me you e-mail via PM and I will give you some info.
lol I don't think you're understanding me right......this is exactly what it says:

Check Oil
Check Coolant temperature
Service Required (with a picture of a battery, indicating the battery needs "servicing")

Thats exactly what it says, and nothing else, anywhere. Ive already explained this like 3 times. And what is happening, like Ive also explained before, is the LCD display with the warnings will stay on FOREVER, even after the car has been shut off and locked. I have an aftermarket alarm also, but before this, it would always shut the LCD display off right when I locked the car, as would the stock alarm.

I hope this helps, CamShaft.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe your serptine belt snapped. That can (not really sure if the oil pump is spun by the belt or timing chain) cause the alternator to stop charging the battery, the water pump to stop running (causing increase in coolant temperature), and the oil pump to stop running. Also your power steering but I don't think thats the case since you didn't mention anything about power steering and your car's engine isnt fried from the Check Oil light. Maybe the sensors are trippin. Calling Mitsubishi would be the best way to go!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
lol I don't think you're understanding me right......this is exactly what it says:

Check Oil
Check Coolant temperature
Service Required (with a picture of a battery, indicating the battery needs "servicing")

Thats exactly what it says, and nothing else, anywhere. Ive already explained this like 3 times. And what is happening, like Ive also explained before, is the LCD display with the warnings will stay on FOREVER, even after the car has been shut off and locked. I have an aftermarket alarm also, but before this, it would always shut the LCD display off right when I locked the car, as would the stock alarm.

I hope this helps, CamShaft.
I have never had this on my vehicle before, so I do suggest taking it into mitsubishi. This is beyond the forums bud, even though some of us are tech's.

Its hard to diagnose a problem for one, and foremost if you don't have the car infront of you. Also, to add to that, if you aren't a mitsu tech and you don't have the exact tools, then yeah you can't ask us to fix it online.

Sorry but you have a dealer trip to make.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
Maybe your serptine belt snapped. That can (not really sure if the oil pump is spun by the belt or timing chain) cause the alternator to stop charging the battery, the water pump to stop running (causing increase in coolant temperature), and the oil pump to stop running. Also your power steering but I don't think thats the case since you didn't mention anything about power steering and your car's engine isnt fried from the Check Oil light. Maybe the sensors are trippin. Calling Mitsubishi would be the best way to go!
Nope, all belts are fine and I know for a fact the alternating is charging my battery because my battery was dead this morning (because of the always on LCD display) but after going to school today, I could start my car fine, so the battery was charged
Old Mar 24, 2008, 03:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You really need to see the dealership. This is not normal...

Quick Reply: is my oil or coolant too low? please help!!!