Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Looking for help from anyone who works at a dealership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for help from anyone who works at a dealership

Well today I found out the hard way that Mitsubishi doesn't allow sales of their tools to the public. Well that means I'm completely ****ed.

I wanted to know if anyone at a dealership could help me fix my cursed car by getting me two tools. Of course I'd pay for them, and the sooner the better if anyone's able/willing to help.

I'm assuming if you can/will help you might not want to post it publicly so please just PM me.

I need MB990767 (end yoke holder) and MB991618 (hub Bolt remover). If anyone could help me out I'd seriously appreciate it. My car is half on jack stands and I really don't want to drive it with only two wheel studs on my front passenger side wheel. I'm risking serious damage both to the wheels, the car, and potentially myself or anyone on the road. It's all prepped for me to fix it, but without these tools I'm afraid it's going to be a LOT more difficult. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

snap on doesnt make those tools? im almost positive they do
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not certain.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

See, the problem is I don't want to spend money on the tools just to find out they don't work properly.

With Snap On so far I've found this and this., but I don't know if they're the right diameter. If I damage the threading for the studs I'm doubly ****ed. Or rather triply ****ed as it were.

The other major problem being I need something that won't damage the good lugs and can keep the hub from spinning when I try to loosen/tighten the broken lugs. If I ghetto rig something I'll damage the threading more likely than not, and I'm not having any luck with Snap On's catalog. I guess I'll try giving them a call when I get a chance, but I dunno if they'll be able to help anymore on the phone.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Realized I really should have put this in troubleshooting. If anyone can help me out though I'd appreciate it.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

What are you trying to do? Remove broken lug studs? Can't you have someone apply the brake so the hub does not rotate, then grab the broken lugs with vicegrips and unscrew them out?

I guess I'm missing what you are trying to fix...pics would help.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

andrew, i'm having some issues understandanating what you're saying. xtnct's right. we need some pics. also, post the diameter of the nuts you're trying to get off. i can't see mitsu doing something as asaninely stupid as making parts removal require proprietary tools. how would a non-mitsu mechanic work on it? Especially a few years down the road when the waranty's ran out
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by xtnct
What are you trying to do? Remove broken lug studs? Can't you have someone apply the brake so the hub does not rotate, then grab the broken lugs with vicegrips and unscrew them out?

I guess I'm missing what you are trying to fix...pics would help.
Wheels are off, brakes are off, two studs broken on the same hub. If I put the brakes back on it's going to make it that much harder to get the studs out. There ARE other ways to do it, but I'd prefer to use the right tools and not risk damaging my undamaged studs.

EDIT: And I'm not taking pics. I'm about ready to kick the car off its ****ing jack stands and it's pouring outside.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by tenkawa_akito
andrew, i'm having some issues understandanating what you're saying. xtnct's right. we need some pics. also, post the diameter of the nuts you're trying to get off. i can't see mitsu doing something as asaninely stupid as making parts removal require proprietary tools. how would a non-mitsu mechanic work on it? Especially a few years down the road when the waranty's ran out
All Mitsubishi cars I can think of use the 12 x 1.5 studs. Proprietary tools = must take to dealership for service = money. It's not that they're the only tools made, it's that I KNOW they will work and I have detailed instructions on how to remove the studs with these particular tools.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

so, you're looking for the tool to get the nut off that mounts the stud plate (hub whatever you call it) to the axle. a breaker bar and the right sized socket is what i use for my car. does the hub come with a grease cover. sometimes it's a dome shaped piece of aluminum that covers the nut. my advice on that is to pry it off not worrying about it and buy a new one at mitsu. had to do that with the f150 a few weeks ago.

i'll talk to my mechanic friend to see what his advice on the situation is. he's always got some way of pulling miraculous **** off. Hell, he helps me keep the maroon monster running, and that's a divine miracle in itself
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

All Mitsubishi cars I can think of use the 12 x 1.5 studs. Proprietary tools = must take to dealership for service = money. It's not that they're the only tools made, it's that I KNOW they will work and I have detailed instructions on how to remove the studs with these particular tools.
ahhh. ok. thanks for the dimensions. on a side note...stupid mitsubishi and wanting to make money. grr!

i'll check out my old hane's eclipse manual and how it suggests getting that off. if we're lucky, they should be very similar
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:28 PM
In Timeout

Call Randy Kuwatani, Service and Parts Director
El Cerrito Mitsubishi (510) 992-2035

Please mention my name, Andrew.

He'll get you whatever you need.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Stud Removal

Wheel studs right?

I had to replace the one right wheel front stud and if you remove the caliper and the bracket that mount to the hub, there is room to push the stud out on the front side of the hub assy. Pushing technique is up to you, but a hammer worked great. They do not need to be unthreaded, splined studs that press fit. Mitsu studs do not match up with anything Autozone or Advance had locally, but the dealer sells them for a less than $2. Good luck.

Jason

Last edited by jason33hs; Aug 4, 2003 at 04:17 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

good news about that flange holder, Andrew. The alternative to having to get MB990767 is nothing more than a large screwdriver or prybar. just take the prybar, jam it between the remaining studs to lock up the hub, and use a breaker bar to get the driveaxle bolt off.

Jason, quick question. once you have them popped out, how did you get the new studs in? i'm assuming you got threaded studs from your post. i'm if-fy (personal reasons) on whether or not those would hold up as well as press-fit studs.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

My past expierience with putting splined lug studs back in (late model cavaliers) is to get them lined up and get a regular nut (not a lug nut cuz it can only go on so far) and a deep well socket and start cranking untill it is pulled all the way in, no press required.

Quick Reply: Looking for help from anyone who works at a dealership