Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

car dying...please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car dying...please help

so the other day, when I was in the drive thru at taco bell, my car was idling really low, and then just died. started right back up, idling rough again, and as soon as I put load on it and then pushed the clutch in, it died again. I gave it a little bit of hell on the way home and it acted completely fine.

Fast forward to this morning. car was completely dead. NOTHING AT ALL. got a jump, car ran rough on the way to work, and then acted fine. I started it, and we put a multimeter to it, and it was fine. 11.8 volts, and 14.4 with the car on. get outside to come home, DEAD. wouldn't start at all. so we figured maybe a dead cell in the battery. went and had the battery changed out, pulled out of advance, died again. they tested everything at advance and everything came back fine. we changed the battery out just to see if that was the issue. does anyone know at all what the problem could be? I gotta meeting at work in the morning and can't afford to miss it, but I'm at a total loss as to what the issue could be.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alternator??
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:34 PM

I keep comin back to that. Idk. its testing fine, but at the same point it could be the voltage regulator. All I know is this car is really starting to **** me off. I need to change my clutch, timing belt, and a few other things. by the time I'm done, it will have all new everything!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:37 PM

Amp Draw

Sounds to me like you have a Parasitic draw on the battery when it sits and as fas as the running rough do you have any engine codes? i know in june of 2006 a lot of the OZ RALLYS and base model lancers had a TSB out for a PCM Reflash causing random codes My OZ is affected with this recall but Lester Raines Cant get my car to take the reflash right they said it may be the Exhaust Manifold where it has a built in Cat it melts from the high temp and causes an idle surge and fuel trim and emissions codes
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:54 PM

I had a code before the battery died. but I don't know what it was, I think it was catalyst below threshold. Idk. this car is gettin on my nerves bro!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might have to unhook your battery tonight to make it to your meeting. but something is draining it. Check your belts and see if they could be slipping.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:10 AM

The car started up fine this morning. And ran fine. I took the ICM off last night, wiped it off and put it back in. Idk. this is the most tempermental car I've ever owned. I'm going to put a new clutch in it soon, new timing belt, new valve cover gasket, and probably a header by the end of this year.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:51 AM

A shorted wire that is exposed or another piece of metal is touching the battery terminal is what happened with me. A wire on my subs popped off and was touch another piece of metal and it sucked all the juice out of my battery. Your idle would be bad because the Idle control Valve is regulated by the battery. When you turn the car to on position the IDV opens. It is very common especially in Lancers to have to clean this valve off. You can just removed it and spray it down with carb cleaner. When your car wouldnt start, after you replaced the battery, did you have your battery tested? was the battery still at full charge?