Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Gauge Bulbs, help please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Bulbs, help please

Ok I have a 2006 ES. I've changed out HVAC, Cigarette lighter and ashtray bulbs (#74). Dimmer switch (10mm Neo) and Hazard switch (8mm Neo) without issue. I pulled the gauge cluster and disconnected it. These bulbs are #24? They are soldered in, I can't just pull them out. So if I get the twist lock sockets to put #24 bulbs into they will work or no? I don't want to go buying incorrect bulbs/sockets for bulbs if they won't fit the Mitsubishi circuit board holes. Has anybody with a 2004-2006 Lancer changed the gauges bulbs out that can help? What exact bulb type did you use and did you have to buy the sockets (Were yours soldered like mine are). I've searched and searched and haven't been able to find answers I need. Please Help, want to get stuff ordered and put back together. Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:33 PM

hey im doing the same job so do you mind if you tell what bulb size did you get for you cluster??! I used #74 for my HVAC and it worked out beautifully, but they didn't fit neither in the cluster main lights (the light up the odometer) nor the diagnostic bulb down on the clutser (SRS-BRAKE-CRUISE...etc) so what size are they?

thanks
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're T1.5 (#74 with a twist lock base) go to superbrightleds.com and look for the "T1.5" bulb..... Just search dude.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:29 PM

no they're NOT! #74 go for the HVAC bulbs ONLY and even not the hazard switch, as for the odometer/cluster, there are NO #74's at all! I have mine off now and i've tried putting them in but the the base wont even go in! And when i compared them to the stock bulbs, the stock bulbs were thicker so i believe they are #24 i just need someone to confirm that! Also all the check/diagnosis lights at the bottom of the odometer, the bulbs are totally different than the #74 & the #24, they are nearly the same thickness of the #74 but shorter... dunno which size are these as well...
BTW my car is an '06 Lancer ES and i would appreciate it if you have some input

and not everyone asking for help didnt do the research
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Whatever you say dude. Finished off my gauge cluster last week. Its a "T1.5"
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

02-06 are basically the same except minor differences. Hell even the evo gauge cluster fits a 02-07 lancer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:45 PM

damn!!!

this is the base i got

and these are the LED's

so you're saying these are good to go in the cluster??!! and the check lights as well??!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think the base looks good but basically they are #74 bulbs in a base. Its a super tight fit so you'll need to apply some force to it. superbrightleds has them as under the "T1.5" bulb. It comes with the light and base together. They are polar dependent so if it doesn't light up pull the bulb out and flip it. Dont be afraid to apply a little force but make sure you line up the locking piece with the open port. Its a tight fit man
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:07 PM

will try that in the morning... thanks a lot man, does the same apply for the check lights???
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the battery, oil, CEL, seatbealt light, and fuel light are the same. I didn't change my SRS or brake light tho. I also left the signal lights and cruise control light. Not sure if the SRS and brake light are the same? you'll need to take the back plate off the gauge cluster to change those lights. O the door light is the same too bulb and base too
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:20 PM

thanks! I'll let ya know how it went... I tried to take off the cluster wiring but it was too hard to take off so i didn't use force and had to flip it over while connected and work on it its a real pain in the *** hehehehe
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yup. Took mine out about 5 times. It sure makes your fingers sore. Dont pull the harness out while the car is on or the key is turned. You might cause your SRS light to come on.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:16 PM

I'll consider that, thanks
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:14 PM

just thought of giving an update in case anyone have some of the problems i faced.

So I got the #74 LED's with twist lock base 2 days ago and when i tried to change the HVAC bulbs. First it didn't work so i thought that #74 is no good (i tried switching polarity as well!) then it turns out that the LED's i got are not that good, i played with the bulbs and gave them a couple of shakes in the base when i noticed they kinda flashed on and off, long story short, i finally got them in a position where they light up i got my LED's from autolumination.com and they were the 5 LED SMT bulbs, i do not recommend them though, you can try the ones from superbrightleds.com since they come already fixed to the base.

After the HVAC i went for the gauge, the stock bulbs are bigger than the #74, so if you're thinking about getting incandescent replace i would suggest getting the #24 since they are somewhat bigger and will light up more area in the gauge, but since i'm going LED then #74 will be just fine since they're much stronger.

According to jakermeister (thanks btw) he replaced the whole cluster by #74 LEDs and they worked, i only replaced the 4 bulbs that light up the upper part (odometers mainly). You might need to force the twist lock base into the socket since they're some how slightly bigger.

I was short in 2 bases so i changed only 2 bulbs ending up with the most awkward looking gauge hahaha i ordered extras and will throw them in as soon as they're delivered...

here are some pix so that you can spot the difference, oh btw the color in the pix is more of a light blue/turquoise but in reality its like blue blue so it's 10x better on the actual vs pix.
Attached Thumbnails Gauge Bulbs, help please-20120920_190746.jpg   Gauge Bulbs, help please-20120920_190824.jpg  
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:47 PM

In case anyone's wondering, this pic shows the diff between a #74 bulb and the stock gauge bulb (the on with the blue cap) as you can see its quite bigger than the #74, maybe a #24? I'm not sure...
Attached Thumbnails Gauge Bulbs, help please-20120919_203623.jpg  

Quick Reply: Gauge Bulbs, help please